Author Topic: Echoes of Heaven and the Ennies  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Echoes of Heaven and the Ennies
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:16:08 AM »
Here's a link to the Ennie Judge blog on what made the cut on Best Electronic Book.

http://enniejudge.blogspot.com/2007/07/best-electronic-book-commentary.html

Note the bit on Echoes.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
Re: Echoes of Heaven and the Ennies
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 04:44:49 AM »
Congratulations Rob, shame you just missed out though. Better luck next time.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 04:48:55 AM »
I'll certainly be taking his advice about submitting them in a unit if the print release qualifies for seperate entry next year.  (Don't know if it does).

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:04:27 AM »
Good idea about re-submission as a print product.  Is that going to happen soon?  ;) (the printing, not the submission)

Because it was electronic, does that mean you couldn't enter it in the other categories?  I would think that it would also have a chance in Best Setting, Best Cartography (given the CC maps) and Best Cover Art for certain.

As an aside, I noticed the Conflict Chips are nominated.  While I was judging at Origins some guy walked up to my table and gave me one.  It seems he was passing them out to all the judges.  I had no idea what I was supposed to use it for.  I just thought, "hmm, nice horse."  ;D

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:12:25 AM »
I start the process of print as soon as I get to a stopping point in product 4.  Well, technically, I've started it already because I've been rereading through the different versions of the first product and hunting typos during my reading time in bed.  Plus, I've expanded appendix 2 for the d20 people because they seemed to have a lot of questions that general guidlines didn't quite answer.  That's in editing right now.

I entered it into everything, but from the way the judge has been talking, I don't think it was considered for anything but electronic.  If that's the case, I think they'll let me submit the print version no problem.  If not, then I'll be banking on the 5-10 pages of new content on the d20 version to qualify as a "new edition."  I sent them an e-mail asking the policy.  Obviously, it's still too early for anyone to have reliably read it.  :)

What were you judging at Origins?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »
If they let me, I plan on dumping all four versions of the first three print products on each judge as one submission for best setting and for best adventure (as Act One of the Moving Shadow).  He seemed to think I could have beat battletech if I'd done that.  :)

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:35:36 AM »
Yea, the d20 folks can't seem to get by without you spelling it out for them. j/k  ;D

I can't imagine that it wasn't considered for the other categories if the judges saw it unless it doesn't qualify for being electronic.

I was judging as in GMing.  I just realized that maybe that was misleading.  The GMs are called judges.
Anyway, I was running a new game that was released at Origins called Witchhunter.  Some friends of mine had written for it and I was helping them for its release.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:39:21 AM »
Is that the game that got the nom for Witchhunter companion?  I assumed that was Black Industries.  :)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 08:52:06 AM »
His comments on the entire Battletech line being submitted as a single product is one of things that has turned ICE off to entering the ENnies. There are major inconsistencies how they handle things....

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 09:30:45 AM »
The comparison to BattleTech seemed a little odd to me.  I understand that they were basing the decision on all aspects of the submitted item as opposed to just setting or something.  I guess he made it sound like that if it wasn't for the CBT (Classic Battle Tech) submission EoH would have had a spot.  Maybe I am reading something into it.  To me, the CBT intro stuff isn't really a product.  More like something in this forums downloads section.  EoH is certainly more extensive.  I am not sure how it stacks against the other noms as I have no experience with them.

I am not familiar with the other e-products that are nominated, but the CBT intro items are sort of the RME of CBT.  As someone who is getting back into Battletech it is nice that they put it out.  Whether it should be submitted together or not, I don't know.  I no almost nothing about the ENnies (though I have read the posts on this forum regarding them).

Hehe no, it is not the same Witch Hunter product.  The Witch Hunter companion that is nominated is for a specific career in WHFRP (which I also play).  I was playtesting/judging a game called WitchHunter based in a psuedo-historical 17th century world by Paradigm Concepts.  Playing it actually reminded me a bit of EoH since it centers on the battle of good vs. evil.

Not to go completely of topic, but I wore my I.C.E. t-shirt at Origins and at least a few ppl recognized it.  :)

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 10:43:32 AM »
That is too bad - but at least you did get some mention and were given some idea how you did.

The catagories do seem muddles.  For instance CC3 being honorable mentioned for best cartography?  Isn't that best maps or do maps count as artwork?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 12:10:37 AM »
Cartography is best maps, but probably the people who were nominated above them had exquisite Sarah Woot maps or something.  That's going to look better than a CC3 Map, just because they are perfectly tailored to the material.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 12:12:11 AM »
Hey, anyone catch the explosion on EN World over the Electronic Product comentary?  I missed it myself and don't see it now, but I want to know about it.  If someone was screaming that my product sucked or something, that's good publicity.  :) 

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 06:03:03 AM »
Hey, anyone catch the explosion on EN World over the Electronic Product comentary?  I missed it myself and don't see it now, but I want to know about it.  If someone was screaming that my product sucked or something, that's good publicity.  :) 

That was most likely me   ;D

I basically got upset over the fact that Fanpro was allowed to submit an entire product line as a single product (when all of the wording suggests that such was not allowed), and that the judges decided to allow it (all perfectly legal). My big problem came because they neglected to inform anybody at all about it (i.e. the blog of the judge saying that you should have entered the whole line - something you couldn't do because you didn't know you could because they never informed you), and because it also highlighted that the rules can be changed, during the judging processes without entrants being told.

During the course of the dust-up, I got banned from over there because the site owner took umbrage at my saying the following in one post:

5) I have the utmost respect and admiration for the folks who run the ENnies and those who have been judges, up to and including last year's judges. They are individuals of honor and integrity. The sole exception here is Morrus. While I still believe that he is a man of integrity, he has made a number of personal attacks, including some line (I have been told, I was banned when I was told about it, and I am not going to bother trying to find it) where he mentions something about my wife. To me, that (making ANY sort of comment about my family) loses him the "honorable" portion of the description, but I still do not doubt his integrity.

He apparently considered that direct insult to him. The other reason I was given for being banned was because I posted an email from the girl in charge of the ENnies (where she was turning down ICE's attempts to get information so we could make a serious proposal for sponsoring them. Please note that posting email one receives is not (or at least was not) mentioned as being against the EN World rules at all.

The actual thread is here -- http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=201490

Anyways, I have promised Bruce that I would not waste my time on trying to improve the ENnies anymore. So, I will not be discussing this further, and I would appreciate it if others did not discuss it on the ICE forums either.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 06:16:20 AM »
Do you mean that you don't want me discussing good comments the judge made about my products, or just the fairness issue?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 06:19:49 AM »
You may discuss the ENnies and comments regarding your products in any way you like, just no continuing that locked thread. That is what I meant.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 07:15:43 AM »
Great!  Let's all continue talking about how cool I am, then.  :)

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 07:39:55 AM »
You rock, Dude!  ;D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 08:01:55 AM »
Yay Rob!

:wave:

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »
Go Rob.
 I did read the article and I also found it strange that you could and would enter a whole line as a single product. Also I think they should have a grandfather section for books that came out a long time [I am 39] ago and are reciently transcribed into electronic format. To it just does not seam fair but I can see how it works within the rules thay have to go by.
 I am done with my comment about the ennies so please do not bombard me with email.

Go Rob.

And keep the PDF's comming.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.