Author Topic: ERA vs. Combat Minion?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA vs. Combat Minion?
« on: March 14, 2019, 05:36:09 PM »
I'm just getting more acquainted with ICE software, and wondering what is the relationship between the Combat Minion and the ERA? It seems to me that the Minion is a part of the ERA (the part that tracks combat). Is that right?

If I buy the ERA, do I get the Combat Minion too?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA vs. Combat Minion?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:18:15 PM »
I have all of the ERA modules for RMC, and it did not come with combat minion.

I can't compare the two, but ERA is pretty nice. It's quite extensible with a little xml editing.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:21:36 PM »
From where I see it, ERA and Combat Minion are completely different products, and aimed at different play styles.

Based on the comments so far, Combat Minion allows easier tracking of combat, once you input the OB/DB/Hits of the participants. It handles criticals, initiative, bleeding (I think, not sure on that one), and you can prepare in advance NPCs to use in the combats.

ERA allows character creation, skill resolution, spell casting, combat, foraging, treasure generation.
It obviously has a steeper learning curve, and depending on the house rules of your group, character creation can require more or less tweaking.
The Adventuring module (skill resolution, spells, attacks, etc) works only with characters created with ERA, so you must first make sure to get the values right in the created characters (all skills can be manually edited if required).

There are online tutorial videos on YouTube for both products.
And I'm certain there are users of both in the forums who might provide a less biased answer.

@Jenkyna last time I checked on RPGNow/DriveThruRPG, all ERA RMC modules had 1/5 stars, with no review given and based on only 1 rating. If you think it's nice, could I bother you with a rating? At times I worry that people might pass on trying it because of the bad rating. Thanks!

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 09:58:59 PM »

@Jenkyna last time I checked on RPGNow/DriveThruRPG, all ERA RMC modules had 1/5 stars, with no review given and based on only 1 rating. If you think it's nice, could I bother you with a rating? At times I worry that people might pass on trying it because of the bad rating. Thanks!

Yes, and sorry I never really think to rate stuff.

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:16:17 PM »

Yes, and sorry I never really think to rate stuff.

And done.

I do look at ratings when buying something sight unseen, so I think it does make a difference. 

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 10:35:31 PM »
Thanks for the breakdown guys. Just a couple of further questions, if you will permit me:

We are committed to playing RMU henceforth. Which app do you think better supports/will support RMU?

Does Combat Minion lack a character builder?

Thanks!
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:22:20 PM »
I suspect that once the RMU modules for ERA are out you will find it to be the best tool for character generation. I can build a level 5 character in about 15 minutes with ERA if I know exactly what I am looking to build when I start.

It's going to take longer if you are deciding on everything as you go.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 01:18:11 AM »
Thanks Jenkyna; that is helpful.

Offline silarkhar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »

Done.
ERA user for RM2 and RMC.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 12:06:09 AM »
I'm just getting more acquainted with ICE software, and wondering what is the relationship between the Combat Minion and the ERA? It seems to me that the Minion is a part of the ERA (the part that tracks combat). Is that right?

If I buy the ERA, do I get the Combat Minion too?

Author of Combat Minion here. Sorry for the late pickup on this thread.

As others have explained, Minion and ERA are quite different things and cater to different groups. Combat Minion allows you to enter all of the basic combat related stats for PCs and NPCs and then allows them to be grouped into a combat encounter. Minion then facilitates all of the combat steps and record keeping, and when the full combat tables are installed it provides all attack results and criticals.

The web app itself is completely free and usable at:
www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion

It comes with a few sample attack and critical tables so that you can test out the full functionality. Then if you like it you can purchase the full set of attack and critical tables from ICE at RPGNow or DriveThruRPG.

Offline Siltoneous

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:58:20 AM »
Appreciate the topic Hurin, (and the answers everyone); it's something I've been considering myself but was hesitant to put it to words.

I'd decided to buy/support both: one to help with the game, but two to help support those who support the product. That said, I'm waiting until RMU is released. Frankly I don't run any pre-beta RMU campaigns anymore, so I'm not sure I'd see any benefit now with them.  :-\  If I'm wrong though, I'd appreciate a correction, and I'll fix the oversight.

"All right, move on! Nothing to see here! Please disperse!" Frank Drebin, Police Squad

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 10:09:52 AM »
Thanks very much Merkir!

I too will try both out and see which works best for my group.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 03:29:02 AM »
Importantly, I forgot to say that there are no plans to support RMU in Combat Minion. I simply don't have the time, but I'm happy to hand over to others if they have the coding experience and willingness to give it a go.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 05:47:22 AM »
Importantly, I forgot to say that there are no plans to support RMU in Combat Minion. I simply don't have the time, but I'm happy to hand over to others if they have the coding experience and willingness to give it a go.
In which language is Combat Minion written? And which environment and compiler do you use, if any?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
In which language is Combat Minion written? And which environment and compiler do you use, if any?

Javascript, with EasyUI (www.jeasyui.com), and a tiny bit of PHP/SQLite for the very basic storage of users. For the build process, I simply used the internal Sublime, and later Notepad++, build process. It simply concatenated the 10+ Minion js files, then runs an obfuscator. It needs nothing more complex.

The full web app, with its single page html source is at:

www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion