Author Topic: Lord Tyrens Atheaus  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Lord Tyrens Atheaus
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:06:02 AM »
Afternoon,

I am looking for some ideas on what do do with Lord Atheaus. I have a few hundred adventure hooks for his areas - and beyond(!). I am wondering if anyone has used him as a direct or indirect quest giver and possibly any other ideas people are willing to share.

Thanks for everything!

E
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Lord Tyrens Atheaus
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »
Who is he, and where does he live?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 05:07:02 PM »
Hey RandalThor.

BÅ’SIRBRON
Lord Tyrens Atheaus, Count of BÅ“sirbron, Baron Dragonbane
Haalkitaine & The Imperial (Royal) Court of Rhakhaan, pg 53

I am basically looking for some ideas - fresh - to make sure I don't do the same old same old with this guy.
Thanks =-)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
So, from what I learned in the Haalkitaine book, Lord Tyrens Atheaus is:

1. An excellent fighter.
2. Has elf-blood, if not a full half-elf.
3. Doesn't seem to be into the dating scene or getting married or having kids.
4. Doesn't care all that much for magic, prefers brains and might.
5. Is lord of a province that has likely seen some action dealing with the Y'kin, as it is in the southern parts of the empire, and is more than old enough to have fught against them.

He seems to be a bit of a PC to me. Which is not a bad thing, especially since it could be he goes out and deals with stuff himself. This could mean that he is away from his court often, so others could be looking to supplant him there. (For whatever reasons.)

With all the traffic going through his province due to the plan of Rhakhaan and Tanara to explore and settle Urulan occuring presently, I am sure banditry has risen. A good start would be him handing out warrants for *special* agents to go bandit hunting and collect rewards for those captured and/or killed. (He is likely too busy helping exploring Urulan, as I see him as someone who would want in on that action.)

The Cult of the Thrid Moon adventure in the Jamain sourcebook is one I have always wanted to flesh-out, starting it off in another town/city/village where one of the Elder Sisters has gone to spread their influence. Missing young-folk (more than normal) could get the attention of Atheaus, who is too busy to investigate himself so he calls on the PCs (or conscripts them because they were stupid enough to get into a fight in a tavern in one of his towns) to do so.

To go into anymore detail, I would need to know some of the adventure hooks you got. You can PM me if posting them here will give away too much info to your players. Aslo, I don't know what level you are starting the PCs out, are they nobles themselves or more "normal" adventuring types?

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »
Hey RandalThor, thanks for taking the time to look into it!

Your pretty much on the same list I am on.

I am going to follow the theme of many of the Laan in the Empire; most of them have some elven blood in their line somewhere. But as for Atheaus's long life, I was thinking of giving him a Ring of some sort, a very unique sort. A combo of Regeneration and Rejuvenation. I may have to take a Conan approach - doesn't use magic (spells/wants/staves) but does not hesitate to use a magic weapon or weapons. Conjecture of course.

I am going to keep the story arcs pretty light for the moment. One of the PC's is an old military Laan. Talented soldier, disillusioned with the political crap, which caused the slaughter of his unit. He is the starting point, an Agent of Lord Tyrens Atheaus, Sylus Othorus, has been apointed by Tyrens's Stewart to hire some assistance. Sylus has contacted the local Blades Guild and directly contacted the Soldier (PC). The other players are; Wularis Warrior and an a Nomad Spirit Priest on a Walkabout.

The group will be informed that the Lord's Knights and Soldiers are busy and the Stewart has decided to contract some outside assistance. The Soldier PC has an excellent rep (which I hope he can keep in game) and a job offer has been made.

I am using RQ 6 as my base system, the players are more experienced, and received more build points. All PC's are Highmen of some vain.

First mission: There is a old Hunting cottage on the far edge of the Lords' estate, due to the military being busy, the party has been requested to 'reclaim' it. The cottage is being used by bandits who are praying upon the locals. If the party can reclaim it, they can have it fixed up, with help from the locals, and use it as a base of operations.

Second, third & forth mission: I have a few bandit runs. The bandit missions lead into a mercenary group hold up in the mountains, and eventually leads to some Lugroki in the mountains. I have some very loose threads that can resonate with the wars that have been happening and will happen. I am being liberal and very broad with my designs.

I have laid some major clues for the first arc. We will see if they find them, often I need to attach a neon sign to the clue. I am still writing the arc, and using the other missions to get a feel for what I am in for.

I am hoping to have the players work out of this location for a while. If they work well the Lord will 'give' them the cottage and a bit of property to build upon - no major fortifications please - and the PC's can tap the locals. So far I have about a dozen hooks for the players to run through and I hope that leads the players into more. But depending upon some decisions the arcs may never be realized.

Side note: I want to avoid Deus ex machina, and have no plans to make the players Lord Tyrens Atheaus's new best buddies. He will be far to busy for sitting with new people when he has his own endless duties.

Better stop before I get overly boring =-)

Thanks again!!

E

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 01:38:07 AM »
I would suggest another cut-out, don't let the players know who they are ultimately working for until later.

We seem to be on the same page as far as bandits go, but I would make the first group directly linked to the lugroki and then have the lugroki commanded by something worse. (But then I am a vile, evil GM like that.) The real reason I suggest this is because the lord is going to have to have a real reason to grant the PCs their base, and some bandit and lugroki smashing isn't going to do it, there needs to be something really nasty and totally unexpected - and way above the call of duty - for that I feel. Like maybe there is an unlife cell just coming together in the mountains there. Clearing one of those would really put a notch in the PCs' belts.

Definitely keep Lord Tyrens Atheaus back for a good long while and have his introduction be something special. Even though I am not one of the players, I would love to see something like them ultimately being recognized in the Court of Haalkitaine for their actions (post cult and other stuff), primarily as I have not been in a game that really made the PCs part of society like that.

I agree that players can be dense, but also we come from the side of the screen with all the info and sometimes we forget they don't have that benefit, so they won't put it together as fast. (I have been really guilty of that in the past - and will likely be guilty of it in the future.)

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 03:26:39 AM »
Long post! Sorry - just a fair bit of stuff in my head.

I was just talking to the wife about letting the players know who is ultimately behind their jobs. I am going to give them a guy to talk to and pretty much leave it at that.

I totally agree in regards to the Camp and some property. It should be a reward, not a Monty moment. My main arc will take the team into Tannara after a raiding party, that will be their first introduction to the Y'kin. It will be a minor, and unrelated confrontation. The party can decide how bad it is. I have been working on Lug raiding parties and camps up along the mountains. Standard density - you start with a few spaced out well hidden structures and start to hit the more fortified areas. Eventually, if they boldly go where no man should, they will hit the underground warrens.

I have a few missions in mind that will trigger events and perhaps push some missions priorities around on the players.

I have had games in the past that ran for years. The party starts from some dungheap and by level 13, the Fighter is Knighted. A while later the Mage is given Tenure at the University, the Thief earned his own props in his own community, the Cleric was given title for the Church of Orhan. I tried to make it special, but the only one that got the courtly dealings was the Fighter and her Knighthood(Dame-hood). The party got the meet the Emperor for all of 2 minutes. He thanked them for their Noble services to the Empire and looked forward to hearing more about their deeds in the future. The guy playing the thief was the only one that sat back in his chair and said, "That was F&*Ken cool!". Jerks. Eventually that game came to an end because everyone became adults and that sux.

I, as a GM, get lost in the mechanisms going on around the party. Mostly because I get carried away. I started with a notepad of paper, moved to Corel Word, then to MS Word, then Excel, and finally to a visual data placement program. It ran all the connections for me. Eventually I had a brain aneurysm and gave up. Not really, but there was so much going on I just lost track of it all. Most of my parties have been pretty - Lets avoid civilization for as long as possible - and I was cool with that. I had a party a few years ago and two of the four players loved the politics and the court intrigues. Problem was, one was 16... and had this Gossip Girl thing in her head. The other player would have made an excellent run at the court. She was smart, could dance and talk. Dangerous talents in a character when the player can back it all up.

I am looking at the  "Cult of the Third Moon" hook and it is pretty mobile. I could easily put that badgirl in the mountains. I added two small ruins, both with dark and dank dungeons and some caves that harbor the terrible one off monsters. Yea, ideas are not my problem.

I felt the need to flesh out some of my thinking. I want to work out of the Lord so that I better understand the sort of people he would have around himself. Being a hero does not always make the best governor of an province - is he a terror to his people? Does he rape and pillage? Does he tax the hell out of his people? Are his people terrified of him? What sort of soldiers does he have in his service? Are they predators? Does he have a spy network through his province? How integrated it is? How sophisticated is it? Does he have any bastards? Does he keep a local women or man on the side that he visits on a regular basis? Does he force religion on his folk? Does he run a regular census for his people to try and meet what they are short on? Does he supplement crops when the season is poor? Does he kill those who trespass on his grapes?

I am trying to generate a mood and just wondering if others have used him. I did a search across Google and got zip, and then a few search across several forums and found a dusty silence with crickets chirping.

My wife says I should probably make him a bit generic to start which is standard writers fair, till something changes that dynamic. I think I am going to build upon the idea that the Good Lord does not really run the estates. He is busy after all. His Stewart and a talented army of Staff manged the large property, deal with the day to day muck and complaints and help to arrange the festivals, Matchmakers gatherings, and numerous religious (sing: Orhan!) events. The Stewart is a very busy Lady. Her staff are constantly working and travelling around the lands. They have to manged towns, individuals, laws, jails, what few soldiers they currently have, seasonal events and hundreds of other things. The Mayors/Reeves and Eldermen all have to manged their own communities, but each answers to one of the Stewart. I am adding a few mines to the property. I am tired for the Steward just writing all of this!

The People are content. They are proud of their Hero Lord and consider themselves lucky. Some believe they are stronger due to his presence - like a hockey fan whoms team is on a win streak - Canadian here, first thing that came to mind. For all of that he is an absent Father figure. In some cases it may as well be the Stewart's estates. She is even handed, adheres to the rules and laws of the land, a Lawful Good character with leanings towards Lawful Neutral. I am often amazed how much I can say about someone by just using a D&D Alignment.

Most of the Staff are good people, but a few let things happen, when the right grease is put to the right wheel. Sylus Othorus is one of the Staff, his job is to broker deals and maintain relations with existing clients and sellers. Once the party is to the estate they will be managed by his wife, Phillus Othorus. She is a prickly woman that is currently annoyed at bandits and getting a fair bit of pressure from the Stewart. The PCs will be reporting to Phillus, as she will be managing their payments, bounties and other particulars. I am not even going to come up with a name for the Stewart till I absolutely have to.... Half Elf named Alinar Ravenvale... I KNOW, I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF!

Right now, as this is just the beginning, the entire place looks good, feels good.  Eventually I have to add some rot and see what the party does. My gut says to keep the Hero a Hero and his Stewart a solid and good person. The Staff are open to interpretation. I will need one evil jerk in there to make things bad and cause problems. After that, each village with have some sort of "Cult of the Third Moon" event to it. All of it has to unravel over time.

I think I can keep this going for a while.

And sorry for the super long post. But I have been working on this all night and am excited to slaughter my players.

Thanks!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 07:58:19 AM »
He's also referenced in the Cloudlords timeline; he's in charge of the occupation force in Urulan.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »
OK, so it sounds like you got a handle on this. Not sure if you are still looking for more from us, and if so, what. But, I guess that is good because it means you got it and are ready to run.

You definitely put more work into this stuff - though maybe not, as I look back at the full page of typed notes on a single (very special) NPC my current group will be interacting with soon. It covers all sorts of situations and how she deals with them.

As for everyone's "alignment", I would suggest having more neutral-types to give you more room to maneuver there. Plus, with the unlife cult idea, one or more of them can be agents (either recently arrived, or recently converted) and spying on the court for the cult leaders. This has the benefit of allowing the bad-guys to know some of whats going on and if they need to move because a force of soldiers is on its way.

I don't think you should stick one of the elder sisters from the cult of the third moon in some old ruins, she will not be very useful that way (to the expansion of her group) - unless those ruins are real close to a settlement of some kind (village, small town, etc...).

This is one of the things that has come to bother me a little bit about the "traditional" adventuring: all these creatures, that need a food source, live in areas without the food sources - or with much more limited food sources. Also, many of the monsters when you read about them, would do much better in civilization than the wilds or ruins. Think of the mimic. That creature is so much more effective in a town, or even a city, than some crappy ruins! Imagine telling what seems like a typical beginning to an adventure with missing people. The PCs investigate and all these clues leading to some individual or vampire, or whatever they would normally determine is the culprit just end in nothing. That is because the creature responsible, was a chair the first night, after the next killing (not every night, as I am assuming they don't need to eat a whole person-sized meal every day, that would be way crazy) it is the wardrobe, the next time it was something else, and then something else, and so on. Making it extremely hard to find. I also think that a mimic would make one hell of an assassin; it just gets taken into the residence like the Trojan Horse - only inside are nice treasures, gifts for the lord - and it is the horse itself that is the killer. After it has done its job, it just turns back into object form and waits for its time to escape, and the lord (or lady or whomever) just ups and disappears as far as everyone else is concerned.

egdcltd, that is what I thought; he seems to be the type that would get in on that action. Which would definitely make him an absent lord, leaving the running of his lands to others.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »
He's also referenced in the Cloudlords timeline; he's in charge of the occupation force in Urulan.

Excellent find! I had not got to that book yet. I was going to put the party in 6058 (Spring). So he is back and the powers that be are working on this one. So I know the good Lord is out of the picture and potentially a big chunk of his personal force is sitting in Urulan. Works to my story pretty well.

As for everyone's "alignment", I would suggest having more neutral-types to give you more room to maneuver there. Plus, with the unlife cult idea, one or more of them can be agents (either recently arrived, or recently converted) and spying on the court for the cult leaders. This has the benefit of allowing the bad-guys to know some of whats going on and if they need to move because a force of soldiers is on its way.

I think of people as being in a government office. Not certain if you have ever been in a Services Canada building, but everyone smiles, seems like they want to help, you sort of hope for the best. I work in a place with 13 staff and the politics turn my stomach and that is just one person being a douche. 30, or so, Staff all with some sort of arching program, now slide a persona agenda in there. People don't even have to be malicious, just two heads butt over a common problem. Now add some "not to bright" in there, I don't even need the Unlife to be an active presence, It/They/Them just gently push people in the right direction.

I don't think you should stick one of the elder sisters from the cult of the third moon in some old ruins, she will not be very useful that way (to the expansion of her group) - unless those ruins are real close to a settlement of some kind (village, small town, etc...).

Nope! I agree. My plan was to have her tower up in the highlands, a few hours walk up the hills. And yes! You can see the tower from the village. The entire village farms the grapes so they are somewhat specialized. My wife forced me to create a timeline for my game - she is tired of me telling her to remind me of things.

This is one of the things that has come to bother me a little bit about the "traditional" adventuring: ...

Grade 6, I am running Keep on the Borderlands, with a bunch of class mates and we are filing through some halls, as an aside I was reading Witch World novels, and the author spent a great deal of time working out the locations, food sources and other such... and the Caves of Choas have none of that. No farms, the area was still heavily wooded, and the entire thing sort of fell apparent in my mind. Andrea Norton ruined the Caves of Chaos for me.

Now, a buddy of mine ran Bordland for us a few years ago, and made us all level 10. The first few encounters we slaughtered them. Over time, it got plane hard. It was unrelenting assault after assault. The local forces were organized, have some sort of loose alliance and could communicate with each other. We never got time to rest and recover, mages and clerics could not renew their spells and powers, and the thief was the first to die, followed by the mage. A ring of regen was my saving grace. I and the cleric got out with the dead mage, never recovered the Thieves body - spider food. In game I think we had 6 days, and only managed to sleep a hand full of hours. Amazing game.

I am always looking for advice or ideas. Just because I have been GMing for most of my life does not mean I know it all. Although I do pretentious pretty well. Advice is always welcome.

Thanks for your time and help RandalThor.

E