Author Topic: Fire and Ice and Essence companion  (Read 1612 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fire and Ice and Essence companion
« on: April 21, 2014, 09:36:57 AM »
A question to fellow GM's.  Do you use the Schools of Magic from Essence companion (Herbal, Corpist, Crystal, Nomenist, Somatacist) in conjunction with Fire & Ice?

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Fire and Ice and Essence companion
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
For my new world of Ovaniu, No.  Although based on the new RMU, magic works quite different.  On Onaviu, there is only one realm: Power.  I have never liked the realms of magic.  To me, power is power, regardless where it comes from.  Thus, only one realm: Power.

Additionally, I have never purchased the Essence Companion.  The schools you listed sound intriguing.  Will have to get it eventually, but with my recent move from NM to NC, I don't have much dispensable income for now.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
Wow New Mexico to North Carolina?  Quite a change in culture from the Hatch chilies to BBQ!  Good luck.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
No I do not but that is more because of my world design at the time than do to the rules.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »
We experimented a little with the different casting types but the way they are designed, they are really optional and can be ignored for the characters who don't want to do the additional tracking. Which, I think, is good.

I really like the elemental concepts in Fire and Ice, but I feel they change the metaphysics enough that, if you are going to use them, you need to make them foundational in the setting. So it's fun to mine for ideas but we haven't really used it.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »
My current players, especially Tim, would hate the paper work required.

I got to play a War Troll Runemage, set in the Game of Thrones world ran by Matt.  I used Herbal rules for open list, Corpist for closed and Nomenist for base list.  I really enjoyed the experience.  The occasional limitations were a fun part of the story, creating frustration, concern and a tendency to use a long knife on corpses, which is very frowned upon by the manly races.  Men of course are typically to consumed in their petty concerns to see the bigger picture, such as the benefits gained from a freshly stilled heart.  Really though, of they think their silly dead are so sacred, the gate to the grave yard shouldn't be so small it can be stepped over. 

One of the neat parts when using these skills is the new lore and seeming depth of knowledge the rules create in the game world/setting.  These skills can be introduced as secret lores or existing lores explained.  PC's will be very interested in jewelry worn, not just for wealth, but as a hint as to what sort of magic the wearer mat be a master of.  A fetish wearing anybody will generate respect, curiosity and even caution. 

A result is a new skill set non spell users will develop, in part to reflect their knowledge of the world they live in and also because their is a tactical advantage to be gained, or a weakness to be compensated for if you prefer.  Helps disguise/duping/non magic users to fake being a spell user too.

The real work for the GM is providing the materials needed by the PC.  Most are available in the market, but some may require expeditions into wild lands or other planes or the crystalized blood of a wounded Gawd, etc.  Primarily, it requires a mature gamer not afraid of a restriction or three and plenty of record keeping.  It ain't for everybody.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 07:57:45 AM »
We use somanticists as the standard schools of magic, but others exist. The essence-using elementalists are not excluded from the rules of the essence companion, and the channeling-using elementalists are not excluded from the rules we are using from channeling companion.
As for world view, there are different planes of existence etc. but the PC's have virtually no knowledge of them. Pure elemental energy is virtually unknown to anyone but Arcane Elementalists, of whom there are only a handful in the world. Elemental Lords are unheard of, but there are gods of the elements, so elemental priests do exist. Many Essence-based schools are Crystalist schools.

Players will choose a school of magic (actually these are physical universities, collages, covens, or guilds) and each particular school will teach a single discipline such as nomenist, crystalist, etc.

Blending everything from every book is nigh impossible, so just mix the elements you like in each book into the juice you need for your setting. I agree that this is a good thing to do while creating the world, but I designed my own setting almost 20 years ago, using RM2. The setting has improved and evolved ever since, and carefully introducing new elements is no problem as long as it does not interfere with the general world view.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 08:35:18 PM »
A question to fellow GM's.  Do you use the Schools of Magic from Essence companion (Herbal, Corpist, Crystal, Nomenist, Somatacist) in conjunction with Fire & Ice?
I don't.  The Essence version of magic in my world is either basically Elemental in power or just the pure raw power that created the elements (Arcane).

I would allow introductions of those ideas, but basically you'd be focusing on a type of casting that would give you an advantage in power at the cost of broader access to that power.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss