Author Topic: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software  (Read 119810 times)

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2016, 07:25:41 AM »
Oh, I almost forgot to add.

Thank you very much for the Combat Minion tool as well as your monitoring of the forums for questions.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated at my table. It has helped IMMENSLY with getting players new to RM to enjoy the game instead of running in fear of math.

While I saw that you were avoiding being paid royalties due to future support qualms, if you have a go fund me site thingy or paypal, I for one would be happy to throw a ducat or two your way in gratitude for your work. Assuming the hosts of this forum do not frown on such mentions.

This was one rule that we do without. I have never used it and Magical PC's are already hampered a lot let alone more penalties to casting just because. To have something that tracks this but is optional to ignore would be OK but I would not have it as required.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2016, 11:06:04 PM »
It also would still be Nice to have a Column for tracking endurance, as well as a Button to add subtract from the total remaining for it. To go along with the button to add subtract from power points, without having to open the full edit sheet..

Pretty Please!! :-)
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Ludaranor

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »
Hi, I tried to reinstall Rolemaster Combat Minion on my new computer using the licence codes I received when I bought it back in 2014 but it doesn't seems to work.  The downloadind and installation pop-up window stays like this (I let it run for about an hour):
Authorising and Downloading ...

Installing...

Do I need new codes?

Thank you!

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »
I bought Mine when it first released and My Same code has worked on every reinstillation and new compter (even win 10) I have updated on.

I use Chrome.

You might give the Designer more info like what browser you are using. 
D Puncture crit 100

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
Hi, I tried to reinstall Rolemaster Combat Minion on my new computer using the licence codes I received when I bought it back in 2014 but it doesn't seems to work.  The downloadind and installation pop-up window stays like this (I let it run for about an hour):
Authorising and Downloading ...

Installing...

Do I need new codes?

Thank you!

I just tested installation of the licensed tables for both RM2/Classic and RMSS/FRP and both installations worked for me. So that's good news. Note that if installation takes more than 10 seconds, something is wrong.

Ludaranor, could you please PM me with your license number and I'll investigate, firstly by using the original code supplied to you. Also as Warl mentions, any extra information regarding your software/hardware would be helpful.

Offline Ludaranor

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2016, 09:26:54 PM »
Thank you for your answers, I tried using Chrome and it worked perfectly (I suppose I shouldn't have tried on Microsoft Edge  ::) ). 

Thanks again!

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »
Yes. Unfortunately Minion doesn't work with Edge. It works with all other major browsers, including Internet Explorer. Microsoft allows you to change between Edge or Internet Explorer quite easily. Just go to Edge settings and choose "Open with Internet Explorer". Minion will then work fine.

My advice though is to use a better browser like Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

For those that are interested, the precise error message Edge returns is "Invalid argument." This is not nearly descriptive enough for me to work out what's wrong. The code works perfectly in other browsers. But anyone who's had to cope with cross-browser development would know that this is typical from Microsoft. It's why Microsoft in the past has provided a number of "compatibility modes" for IE, which the user can change to as required. Microsoft has been even lazier this time, simply allowing a quick swap over to IE when a site doesn't work properly.

Offline Liquid Cobalt

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2016, 05:23:31 PM »
I came here after watching a video about RCM on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7WjRS9MDM). I wasn't sure what Edition of Rolemaster was supported by the application so i took out my Arms Law & Claw Law (#1100, ISBN 1-55806-090-1) and compared the two main attacks results.The first attack was the Battleaxe vs. AT 8 with a final attack of 92 resulting in a 15BS Hit. I got the same from my Book, so i was hoping it was the same Edition. But the other attack (Broadsword, vs AT 8, modified Roll 97) didn't give the same result as my Book! You get a 12BP while my Book says 12AK!? I also tried the free web-app and got the same outcome. Is this because this is made for another Edition or is there an error in the tables (Book or App)? And if it is the very last option, is there a way to edit the tables?

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »
there are two licenses versions for RCM. So depending on which you get, one is RMC/RM2 and the other is RMFRP/RMSS
D Puncture crit 100

Offline Liquid Cobalt

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2016, 05:54:29 PM »
Ok, got that. But what tables are used in the free version? As i understood it the free version uses the real tables (RMC or RMSS?) but does come with only a few selected ones. If those are RMC-tables the 12BP-Hit from the example given is wrong. I just want to be sure that, when i buy the RMC license i get the exact same tables i got in my book and seeing that video made me unsure about it.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2016, 11:54:03 PM »
Ok, got that. But what tables are used in the free version? As i understood it the free version uses the real tables (RMC or RMSS?) but does come with only a few selected ones. If those are RMC-tables the 12BP-Hit from the example given is wrong. I just want to be sure that, when i buy the RMC license i get the exact same tables i got in my book and seeing that video made me unsure about it.

Until today I had thought that the weapon tables for RM2 and RM Classic were identical, but sure enough when I checked my actual hardcopy versions, the Broadsword table results have been shifted up by 1 (one). I then checked a few other weapon tables at random and they were identical. So apparently only the Broadsword table is different. Perhaps ICE can shed some light? And are any other tables different? (I won't laboriously try to check manually)

The free/demo version of Minion includes a few sample tables from RM Classic.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2016, 12:45:18 AM »
The freelance team who worked on RM Classic discovered that there were variations in the attack tables across various *printings* of RM2 Arms Law.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Liquid Cobalt

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2016, 04:46:36 AM »
Did they report how huge these variations are? I mean if there are only some small shifts (like 3 tables shifted 1-2 lines up or down) or are there many or major changes? Sorry about being a PITA but if i am to pay $20 for a license for a list of numbers (which i should technically already own by owning the books  :-\ ) i want to make sure what i am getting!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #253 on: August 02, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
Did they report how huge these variations are? I mean if there are only some small shifts (like 3 tables shifted 1-2 lines up or down) or are there many or major changes? Sorry about being a PITA but if i am to pay $20 for a license for a list of numbers (which i should technically already own by owning the books  :-\ ) i want to make sure what i am getting!

From memory, it was all minor stuff.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2016, 09:08:49 AM »
Yes, all very minor.   I don't recall specifics but if all the Broadsword entries were shifted one that would have been one of the large differences.  Most of it was small changes to individual results (one 'cell' for roll/AT) here and there.

Offline Liquid Cobalt

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #255 on: August 06, 2016, 02:12:27 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Going to get the licenses now.

Offline Rodtaz

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2016, 11:57:18 AM »
I didn't get emailed the license code. I bought in RPG Now.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2016, 04:11:02 AM »
The lcense code should be in the receipt email sent to you by rpgnow. It's in large red font. Can you check that email and confirm back here? If you still have trouble please PM me and I'll try to sort out what is wrong. Cheers.

Offline CDBoulton

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #258 on: December 15, 2016, 01:31:44 AM »
Hello a question on RM combat minion. When compiling a database of characters I would like to be able to have a bunch of separate text files that equate to a bunch of separate monsters. Then be able to paste the particular monsters into the program to create an encounter.

Is this possible? I try and get various format errors.

Thanks

Chris

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #259 on: December 17, 2016, 04:06:28 AM »
Hello a question on RM combat minion. When compiling a database of characters I would like to be able to have a bunch of separate text files that equate to a bunch of separate monsters. Then be able to paste the particular monsters into the program to create an encounter.

Is this possible? I try and get various format errors.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

Editing text files to do that would be very prone to error as you've already found. The text files are really only meant for backups and restores. To that end, you could enter a set of PCs and NPCs, back it up to a text file, and restore it at any time in the future. You could do that multiple times to create multiple sets of different PCs & NPCs if you wish. However editing those backup files (which is what I assume you are doing) will be difficult to maintain the correct formatting.

I think using the app in the normal way, by simply adding all of the NPCs you think will be used for your session or campaign, and then selecting the appropriate NPCs for each encounter with appropriate use of labelling/keywords, is the easier method.

Cheers