Author Topic: Quickness bonus and Flying  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Batfish

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Quickness bonus and Flying
« on: January 23, 2014, 04:58:22 AM »
The Question is would a PC get his Quickness bonus when flying ?

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Re: Quickness bonus and Flying
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »
The only way I applied the QuBon to Flying is to combine it with the AgBon on maneuvers while flying.  I NEVER applied to add to the flying speed.  However, arguments could be made that it should.

My Logic: Quickness only tells you how quickly you can react and maneuver while flying.  Agility tells you how gracefully you make those maneuvers.

To increase flying speed, I would require the character to make a MM roll using Self Discipline and Presence as the stats, then roll on the Very Hard column at least, perhaps higher.

I feel it is the character's strength of will that would be used to increase speed, agility/quickness on maneuvering.

Just my thoughts.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »
For base DB, yes.  Otherwise, no.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:07:47 AM »
 Welcome to the ICE Forums Batfish,
 (Note as above I would not use Qu bonus as a mod to increase speed for flying, I would use (Str+Con)/2 or some other weighted measure tied to more than one stat)

I would go about it different depending on what system you are using, if using RMSS/FRP I would use the PC's acrobatics ranks as a limiting value for the PC's actual Qu bonus, ie 5 ranks in Acrobatics and a Qu bonus of 10, you only get to use a bonus of 5 when flying. 
 If using RM2/RMC then I would use the rule above by *2 the ranks of Acrobatics to get your max Qu bonus.

Another idea would be to tie the DB bonus to an Average of Ag and Qu when flying as you have to make sure you do not just move as you might lose all flight characteristics and drop out of the sky.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »
For base DB, yes.  Otherwise, no.
I agree with this.
IMHO, Agility would rule the day for MM, unless you use the Acrobatics skill as in RMFRP. (Like others have stated.)

As to other issue brought up about increased speed, is the flying magical or natural?
If the flying is by wings or some such, then I could see an argument for increasing speed. If it's by spell, then I'd say you're limited by the particular spell's movement. Master, Research, Ritual not withstanding. Although I have once allowed a Power Manipulation roll to momentarily "cancel" or pause the spell to allow a gravity assisted dive. Your game may vary.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 01:43:02 PM »
The spell doesn't use base rate, so I also do not allow increasing speed.  Well, I have allowed dives.

If used as a base rate, then exhaustion rules need to be used.   Think of the spell providing a new and exclusive dorm of movement, even if just ethereal wings or a sparkling glitter.   Note the spell states normal movement is prohibited, so the caster must fly.  I allow speeds to go as low as 1' a round.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.