Author Topic: Rolemaster for Dummies  (Read 9243 times)

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
Re: Rolemaster for Dummies
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
General tips for GM are not that hard to find on the net. Tips for RM GMs is a better idea, but since there was already a Gamemaster Law, what about something more towards explaining the rules (special situations, great combos, etc.) than tips about how to run a game?

And how about some kind of adventure tutorial? There is a simple adventure (or more than one --> sequels) where sometimes rules needed to resolve a situation are written down in the adventure.

Example:
The party needs to cross a chasm 10 m (11 yards) wide. There is a rope hanging over it, nailed to each side. Possible actions include the characters trying to jump over it (a Very Hard maneuver) or doing an Acrobatics maneuver using the rope.

***How to resolve a maneuver***
ya-da ya-da ya-da (maybe copy-pasted from the rulebook)

For further information, see [section title], p. [00] in [book title].

For new players and GMs, this could be a more interesting approach than to read a whole new book before playing. You have the same system, one bit at a time.

What do you think?
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 01:55:28 PM »

Zut,

I was thinking something similar when brainstorming an intro HARP adventure. There would be three sections:

Act 1: Skill tests
Act 2: Combat
Act 3: Magic

Each introduces a layer on to the system core.

** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
GM Law isn't necessarily going to be easy to find, and for a free starter product I think it's wise to keep the content light. Your idea of examples is a good one, and something that should be there. There should also be examples of when NOT to use the Maneuver rolls as well, since some new GMs can get really carried away.

I do think it's important to have a tips section as well, though, because RM does leave so much up to the GM to decide. Not every GM (especially new ones) is going to be up to that challenge right away. In reference to OM's post, you need (IMO) a third section - fitting it all together.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
Zut,

I was thinking something similar when brainstorming an intro HARP adventure. There would be three sections:

Act 1: Skill tests
Act 2: Combat
Act 3: Magic

Each introduces a layer on to the system core.

\o/
I can't wait to read it!

As much as I like to know every rule of a boardgame by heart, it is a harder goal when dealing with an RPG. Usually, character creation is easy to follow, but combat and magic rules, I find those not entertaining to read. If only there were more lists and charts! For example, you want to attack: do this, and this, and this (with numbers, as this is a sequence of events); or you want to attack using a special combat maneuver skill, do this, and this, and this. I don't mind if it feels repetitive, the more I practice it, the fastest it will become automatic.

For charts, I was thinking of something like a "yes-no" chart. For example, you want to cast a spell, first question on the chart is: "what is the spell level?" Next: "do you have enough PP?" Yes --> next question, no --> stop. "Do you have enough ranks?" Yes --> next question, no --> stop. Etc. This may seem trivial for experienced players, but for new ones, these are the things you need to answer before making any roll. Anyway it is only an example, I don't think this particular situation is that hard to learn to handle.

Gamemaster Law (RMSS) is available as a PDF on RPGNow.  ;D
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
There's some very good ideas posted here and I think it's clear enough that new GM's will benefit the most from such a book. I'd also like to add that it also should be aimed at pre-teen to teen audiences. Zut makes some good suggestions towards the younger market. If this product existed I'd download it immediately and hand it to my son right now as he is itching to role-play. I'm so swamped with real life it's hard for me to get geared up to teach him, and I feel bad for it too. But if he could learn the basics and I could help him through it that would be a blessing.

So my question is to all you intellectual fellows, who's going to start the ball rolling? Anyone willing to be the team leader? ICE are you listening? This would make a nice Christmas present ;)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »
I've already mentioned I'd be happy to help as much as possible, and I think Phillip has expressed interest as well (he kicked the idea out here, after all...).

I'd suggest a free PDF of no more than 40 pages (less if any GM advice is stripped out, which I'd advise against). Zut's structure is a good starting point, but if we're aiming for folks who've never RP'd before (or are coming in from a more rigid system) I'd go with something that starts with character creation, then moves to skills, then combat, then magic, and finally a GM section (if that's included). Again, much depends on the intent. I'm thinking from ground zero (as many of my players had never seen a tabletop RPG before or at best had played AD&D years before), but we need to decide that before going much further.

My idea of structure for a free intro product aimed at newcomers would be:
In The Beginning: Explaining RMU, some basics about rolling dice and creating a character (enough to let them roll up a basic Human).
Learning to Crawl: Flows right out of character creation into skills and their uses. Gives some examples of maneuvers, skill checks, and the like. Gives them enough to deal with basic situations.
Crossing Blades: Basics of combat (based on the character they created). Covers simple melee and missile combat with good examples (maybe by converting a movie scene into RM terms). Enough to deal with a simple skirmish or tavern brawl.
Slinging Spells: Basics of magic use. We should provide enough to let someone run a first level magician or cleric. Again nothing fancy, but tied back into character creation and skills.
Telling the Tale: The (optional) GM section with a short adventure that could be used with the characters created. Good notes about how to use what's been introduced with ideas for taking it farther. Could cover healing, NPCs, treasure, and some discussion of balancing a game.

Finally, each section should be referenced to the main RMU rules so they know where to look if they need more information. It should also be set up so that they can expand their characters into full RMU terms when they move up to the full rules.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »
I won't offer to be the one to write it, mainly because I don't consider myself competent to do so, but if whoever does write it wants my input, for whatever it's worth, I'm in.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »
 I think an example of each of the combat techniques would be very helpful, ie disarming, retreat, etc.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
I've already mentioned I'd be happy to help as much as possible, and I think Phillip has expressed interest as well (he kicked the idea out here, after all...).

I'd suggest a free PDF of no more than 40 pages (less if any GM advice is stripped out, which I'd advise against). Zut's structure is a good starting point, but if we're aiming for folks who've never RP'd before (or are coming in from a more rigid system) I'd go with something that starts with character creation, then moves to skills, then combat, then magic, and finally a GM section (if that's included). Again, much depends on the intent. I'm thinking from ground zero (as many of my players had never seen a tabletop RPG before or at best had played AD&D years before), but we need to decide that before going much further.

My idea of structure for a free intro product aimed at newcomers would be:
In The Beginning: Explaining RMU, some basics about rolling dice and creating a character (enough to let them roll up a basic Human).
Learning to Crawl: Flows right out of character creation into skills and their uses. Gives some examples of maneuvers, skill checks, and the like. Gives them enough to deal with basic situations.
Crossing Blades: Basics of combat (based on the character they created). Covers simple melee and missile combat with good examples (maybe by converting a movie scene into RM terms). Enough to deal with a simple skirmish or tavern brawl.
Slinging Spells: Basics of magic use. We should provide enough to let someone run a first level magician or cleric. Again nothing fancy, but tied back into character creation and skills.
Telling the Tale: The (optional) GM section with a short adventure that could be used with the characters created. Good notes about how to use what's been introduced with ideas for taking it farther. Could cover healing, NPCs, treasure, and some discussion of balancing a game.

Finally, each section should be referenced to the main RMU rules so they know where to look if they need more information. It should also be set up so that they can expand their characters into full RMU terms when they move up to the full rules.

Mate, I think you hit this one on the head. In other words this is exactly what I think will work. And I like how you've staged each "chapter."

IF this idea is approved by ICE and gets off the ground then I would offer my skills to create a monochrome cover for such a project(unless my commitments force me otherwise).

Offline Badger

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »
If such a project goes ahead, I'd like to vigorously lobby for a bit that explains to players the importance of figuring out the basic personality of their character, then the raison d'être of their character, then their stats, class, etc.

Too many players do it all backwards and then wonder why they have a cardboard cut out of 'stock fighter #4'.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »
I agree, but I stand by what I said above: until the GM gives them a basic run-down of the world setting and the common cultures (note I did not say common races*) in his starting area, he can't reasonably expect the players to be able to come up with character concepts that fit it. If you "dunno nothin about nothin" you can still build "stock fighter #4" comparatively easily, because you have entire books to explain it to you. But if the particulars of the world concept are still in the GM's head, the player is stuck with nothing to help him mesh his ideas with that.

*A given race may have more than one culture in the area. A given culture may have more than one race that partakes of it. If your character is "born and raised in the Kingdom of Skund, and has a typical Skundian worldview and outlook," whether he is human, elf, dwarf, etc. is probably beside the point in terms of what skills, talents, etc. fit the concept.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
So, if you want a character with a little bit more depth but still aimed at a "starter" audience, what about 2-3 background tables included in the book? I think there were already some of those in a RM Companion (I can't check at the moment). People could pick one "background item" per table or roll dice. I was thinking of something like around 15 items per table.

The said items could be something like adjectives/personality traits (impatient, courageous, noble, etc.), or linked to a childhood event/situation (abandoned by relatives, has a (NPC) twin, has a fear of something, etc).

It doesn't need to cover every situation, only give a good idea of what elements could be added to a character background.

I don't think it should be bought with DP either as my intent is to give flavour, not any bonus/malus. It looks like talents and flaws, but without the advantages/drawbacks.

Offline Badger

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 10:53:15 AM »
I agree that the GM has to provide the context for the players to frame their character, and the stock fighter is - of course - always an option.

But players (particularly new players) often need to learn that regardless of how creative, detailed, or interesting a campaign is, if they've created a character that is a personality free zone, then they aren't as likely to enjoy themselves as they would if they'd spent some time figuring out who their character 'is'.

For some, game mechanics get in the way of this process. It's easy to start focusing on the numbers. Choosing weapons and spells based on their power - rather than what would suit a particular character. Eg, a French noble from the 16th century should probably be packing a rapier, not a boomerang.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »
Sure. That's why I tell them I want to know who he is, and we'll figure out what he is later. You figure out his personality before the mechanics have any say in the process. But that's a lesson that needs to be taught to new GMs, not new players.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
Sure. That's why I tell them I want to know who he is, and we'll figure out what he is later. You figure out his personality before the mechanics have any say in the process. But that's a lesson that needs to be taught to new GMs, not new players.

Complete agreement.  I think I have the order players read info on my world is to determine the Background, Personality, Alignment, Demeanor, etc. before deciding on profession, stats, etc.

But I like the way GOF put it: "...I want to know who he is, and we'll figure out what he is later.".

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »

I was at a world-building seminar today and one of the panelists, taking a page from Babylon 5, said the two questions for PCs in the game world are:
1) who are you?
2) what do you want?
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 08:11:46 PM »
The Serenity(Firefly) RPG has an excellent list of Assets and Complications. Would be nice to see those incorporated into RM.
Perhaps in character creation a minimum of Flaws should be chosen first to help flesh out the character and then choose talents accordingly.
The more flaws you have the greater or more talents can be acquired? Just a thought.
I like the idea of having several background templates to help kick off a character design...maybe based on certain movie characters?

I won't offer to be the one to write it, mainly because I don't consider myself competent to do so, but if whoever does write it wants my input, for whatever it's worth, I'm in.
Mate, I think you short change yourself. I've read some of your posts recently and I think you'd do a good job, especially for the magic section.
Which brings me to say that it shouldn't be written by just one or two writers. I think several writers would help ease the load and some may be better at giving examples or
options in one area than others. If there is want for a "world setting" then I think it should be rather simple and not to in-depth, maybe an outline of basic laws and taboos in
the area and a simple rundown on race culture if needed.

Just had a thought, it could be called "An Adventurer's Guide to Rolemaster"?

Has there been any announcement when then next RMU release is due? Nothing can really happen until that's out I guess.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »
If such a project goes ahead, I'd like to vigorously lobby for a bit that explains to players the importance of figuring out the basic personality of their character, then the raison d'être of their character, then their stats, class, etc.

Too many players do it all backwards and then wonder why they have a cardboard cut out of 'stock fighter #4'.

Stat generation, particular;y when random, can be a great base for creating an original character.  Personality can be derived from stats as easily as any other source.  It takes some imagination, but basically explaining and seeing how the PC's stats would shape the background, family life, career and profession choices, skill selection, talents: it works very well.  The main cause of cookie cutter is professions, not stats, because every profession has the exact same skill cost.  No mage is bad at directed spells, no fighter is bad at melee, etc.  The advantage of professions is it allows players to pick an archtype and run with it.  Originality, however, is not limited by stat selection.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Badger

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 10:39:54 AM »
Stat, profession, the GMs lack of personal hygiene... The 'why' is likely to be specific to a particular group or player. I just wanna encourage that there be a bit of 'how to role - not roll - play' available.

Do any of you have any particular tricks of the trade that you use to foster strong characterisation?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
To start, back ground, back ground, back ground.

Name of town, name of parents, where were you conceived, siblings and their names (including rolling to see how many have survived and still live), extended family with aunts and uncles, what jobs do the have or businesses do the own, what crafts is their home town known for, rich, middle class, poor,  etc.  In these details a persona will emerge.

In game, focus on relationships within the community.  The law, the merchants, the temples, love life, how wealthy is the community, etc.  The old dungeon crawl days created a world without personality, nothing more than merchants with tons of swag and unlimited gold.  My goal is to create unique personality.  Towns and cities and villages should have different vibes and offer different opportunities to the players.  Not every community will sell weapons or armor, some won't have herbs or potions, others may not have wagons or horses.  Communities should be as unique as characters, unlike the cookie cutter corperate business found in the modern world.  Fantasy worlds need to avoid standardization.

A great rule that aids role playing is set Dev Points per level.  This rule prevents a player from being punished when he wants to play a low Sd character, or a mage with no Me, or a sickly soul that catches a new cold every week.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.