Author Topic: Musings on a historical point  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Musings on a historical point
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 02:04:17 PM »
In another thread(which I can't remember) someone mentioned an author that has written several successful steampunk novels. It's these type of authors that a rpg company needs to contact and come to some arrangement to use their IP.
Cherie Priest.  While it would be nice to get her to officially back a supplement or setting it really wouldn't be necessary.  Steampunk is widely accepted as a certain time frame in real world earth with a sci-fi element thrown in.  It's modern day Jules Vern essentially.  So long as you aren't blatantly taking from the various works out there there's really no worries in regards to rights.

Quote from: Cory
I still think that Steampunk is just asking for a good RPG.
Are you saying that RM is that game? If so, the only way this is going to happen is if someone steps up to mark and writes it. But as Nicholas has mention recently, writers flake out and nothing happens, which is unfortunately so true of a lot of people these days I've found. To be honest I just can't see it happening as I also would like to see/work on a Steampunk genre if the call was made.
Well the fact that writers flake out is obviously no reason to give up... if it was RM would have pretty much died completely long ago.  They really HAVE to rely on freelancers now and, for the most part, did before once the core-books were out.  ANY RPG could make a good Steampunk setting or at least a source book that fits it into that RPGs framework.  Considering the relative popularity of Steampunk I think it could potentially put a game system on the map (or BACK on the map) if done well.

I've got several ideas for books that I'd likely propose, but I need to be comfortable with my potential to have the free time to complete them in a timely manner.  Currently I don't think I'm at that point.  I could do it, but I'd be locking myself away from friends/family for a few months and I'm not going to do that now (especially when we actually have NICE weather here in the Seattle area!)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
Re: Musings on a historical point
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »
Quote from: Cory
I still think that Steampunk is just asking for a good RPG.
Are you saying that RM is that game? If so, the only way this is going to happen is if someone steps up to mark and writes it. But as Nicholas has mention recently, writers flake out and nothing happens, which is unfortunately so true of a lot of people these days I've found. To be honest I just can't see it happening as I also would like to see/work on a Steampunk genre if the call was made.
Well the fact that writers flake out is obviously no reason to give up... if it was RM would have pretty much died completely long ago.  They really HAVE to rely on freelancers now and, for the most part, did before once the core-books were out.  ANY RPG could make a good Steampunk setting or at least a source book that fits it into that RPGs framework.  Considering the relative popularity of Steampunk I think it could potentially put a game system on the map (or BACK on the map) if done well.

I understand what your saying, and agree Steampunk could potentially put any rpg back on the map. Once RMU has been finalised I hope it generates people into action...I know that some are waiting for it to move ahead so they can start on certain projects. If it came to either a Steampunk setting or source book I'd probably say source book first. I've been doing a little research on the Victorian era lately(mainly fashion) and it would be interesting to see a product including a time line on certain technologies of when certain things were invented or improved.

I've got several ideas for books that I'd likely propose, but I need to be comfortable with my potential to have the free time to complete them in a timely manner.  Currently I don't think I'm at that point.  I could do it, but I'd be locking myself away from friends/family for a few months and I'm not going to do that now (especially when we actually have NICE weather here in the Seattle area!)
Yes, I understand enjoying the good weather with friends and family. We're coming out of winter here in Oz and I'm looking forward to finer days of spring and enjoying the good times it offers. Good to hear you have book ideas in mind, shall look forward to hearing more about them in the future.