Author Topic: Disarm Combat maneouver  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Disarm Combat maneouver
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »
Our group had an issue with using Disarm rules as printed in the book read below;

Character A declares he will disarm Character B (Disarm Combat maneuver of +95)
Character B declares he will parry and attack character A (Full skill 110, splits +50 DB, +60 OB)

Initiative is rolled
B goes First
A goes second.

After Character B's attack is resolved, A attempts to Disarm B
 the Disarm Combat maneuver states;
"

In order to attempt to Disarm a foe, the character must make a maneuver roll in place of his attack,
using this skill bonus as a modifier to his roll, and reading the result on the RR column of the Maneuver Table.
His target must then roll higher than the number using his OB
.. if the foe fails, he loses his weapon.....

so a few questions arise..
  • can your disarm Combat maneuver skill be split for parrying like a weapon?
  • if so.. does your disarm maneuver roll use your full Disarm skill or the modified (after parry) roll?
  • Since Character A used some of his OB to parry he only has 60 OB left.  Does t his mean when he rolls to resist the Disarm he only adds +60 to his maneuver roll? or does he use his full OB to resist the disarm? (This is how I read the rules to be)
  • Or alternative since character A already used +60 to attack and only has +50 of his skill left, does this mean he gets to resist the disarm with only +50 to his roll? (this seems more logical)

the problem with option 3 is that If I am full parrying. I have no OB..  therefore it is really easy to disarm someone his is on the total defensive and otherwise hard to hit. (making it seem somewhat OP but a useful tactical maneuver)
It also ignore what you spent to defend with and in the example above, character A attacks with +60 and defends the disarm with +60 (giving a total skill of +120 for the round)

The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Disarm Combat maneouver
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:57:49 PM »
I've gone back through all of the archives and previous questions on the topic. There were some gamer responses to a similar question, but no official ruling was made previously.

so a few questions arise..
can your disarm Combat maneuver skill be split for parrying like a weapon?

The individual (A in your example) states how he intends to split his OB with the weapon.
Assume the OB total is +120 and he splits it +75/+45 (attack/parry).

He gets the +45 from his parry to protect against the attack from B.

When resolving his action, you use the lesser of his "offensive" OB (+75) and his Disarm Foe (+95) which would be +75 to resolve his Disarm Foe action.

if so.. does your disarm maneuver roll use your full Disarm skill or the modified (after parry) roll?

Modified using Lesser (as described above).

Since Character B used some of his OB to parry he only has 60 OB left.  Does this mean when he rolls to resist the Disarm he only adds +60 to his maneuver roll? or does he use his full OB to resist the disarm? (This is how I read the rules to be)

B defends against the Disarm Foe using his full OB (both attack and parry values) +110 in your example.

Or alternative since character A already used +60 to attack and only has +50 of his skill left, does this mean he gets to resist the disarm with only +50 to his roll? (this seems more logical)

Combined total.

the problem with option 3 is that If I am full parrying. I have no OB..  therefore it is really easy to disarm someone his is on the total defensive and otherwise hard to hit. (making it seem somewhat OP but a useful tactical maneuver)

Agreed that this would be the case if using only the attack OB, but using the full OB it is very difficult to disarm a more skilled opponent.  Your best option is to resist using Disarm Foe unless you are more skilled and ideally quicker, but since HARP is % based with open ended results, you might get lucky and be the guy to disarm the great swordsman...

It also ignore what you spent to defend with and in the example above, character A attacks with +60 and defends the disarm with +60 (giving a total skill of +120 for the round)

Using the full OB eliminates this issue.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Disarm Combat maneouver
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
thanks for the quick reply
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~