Author Topic: Alternate Age Groups  (Read 1258 times)

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
Alternate Age Groups
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:03:21 AM »
Alternate Age Grouping

This has probably been posted elsewhere; however, I was not able to get a signal when I was thinking of posting this from my world of Onaviu.  In fact, someone may have actually used years.  This is an "age grouping" I have used for about 25 years and finally thought others may find it interesting.

I used percentages so this can be applied to virtually any life span.  For "immortal" races, like elfs, I usually use 5000 years for determining what age group elfs (et. al.) would fall into depending upon their number of years.

Example: Elrond of Middle-Earth would fall into the "Old" category, (if memory serves) being about 3800 to 3900 years old at the time of the "War of the Ring".  He may actually have been older, but I was too lazy to look it up.

Age Group     Lower %age     Upper %age
Infant     0     5
Juvenile     6     12
Pubescent     13     20
Young     21     30
Mature     31     50
Middle Aged     51     75
Old     76     90
Elderly     91     110
Ancient     111     130
Fossil     131     150

Of course, this will not be for everyone.  Some may want only four categories like: Young, Adult, Mature, Old.

Attached, and once approved, is AgeGroups.zip.  This file contains an XLSX and ODS spreadsheets that will calculate the Age Groups into a range of years based upon the Base Life Span you enter.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Alternate Age Groups
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »
That's interesting, I dig it. Thanks.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.