Author Topic: Acquiring new spells or using the Learning Table fro EssCo.  (Read 1213 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Acquiring new spells or using the Learning Table fro EssCo.
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »
Does anyone use the Learning table from EssCo and how did it work out.
Altering DP for learning spells for that level is an interesting idea. And if you have access to a university, you don't have as harsh of penalties from increasing more than 5 Ranks/lvl.

Since my game has more of a D&D Greyhawk setting, I've also wondered about Essence users finding their spells in books, for some Spell Lists.
This makes the Guildcraft Mastery List more important/beneficial, although some of those spells need to be reworked. A 16th lvl spell that Repels Large Vermin (3rd lvl) for 3 hrs sounds a bit weak to me. But a 50th lvl spell that allows you to make a Spell Book which you can use as Runes or +25 to learn the List (I'd say Research, too.) is pretty cool.   
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Acquiring new spells or using the Learning Table fro EssCo.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »
I used it for a long time and it was fine, but I never thought the BREADTH of knowledge for a RM character was a terrible game balance issue.  If I don't use it, their critical skills (like OB) don't get any lower, they just have more spells or more OBs of that level.

So if you want people to be able to be more generally skilled, it's a decent option.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com