Author Topic: Guild Companion July 2012 (Issue 161)  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Kristen Mork

• OIC Points +70/-70
Guild Companion July 2012 (Issue 161)
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »
Belated greetings from the Guild Companion; Issue 161 is available at www.guildcompanion.com.

This month we present an article that revisits problems with movement rates in Rolemaster. In addition to describing the issues and providing some solutions, Richard Runyan provides a Javascript utility in support of the article. And, in my editorial I introduce the horrors of "kissy-poo."

Peter Mork
Guild Companion Editor

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Guild Companion July 2012 (Issue 161)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:27:09 AM »
Interesting to see those movement numbers related to the real world.

Personally I think the bigger problem with pace is the nature of the moving maneuver table and the difficulty ratings. To get an optimum pace, you need to know something about the structure of the table and the correct difficulty level to aim for. Otherwise you can try harder and end up going slower. That's a lot of meta knowledge the player needs to achieve a really simple goal. To sprint as fast as possible in real life, you just run as fast as you can. I would rather see a system where you make a roll without the difficulty level, and the result tells you your speed in terms of pace. E.g. if it was based on the static maneuver table, the result might be

Failure - Jog
Partial Success - Run
Near Success - Sprint
Success - Fast Sprint
Absolute Success or Extraordinary Success - Dash

or if you wanted to use pace modifiers like in the article you could be more generous and assume everyone can at least make Run, in which case

Failure - Run
Partial Success - Sprint
Near Success - Fast Sprint
Success - Dash
Absolute Success or Extraordinary Success - pace = x(ranks/3), minimum of Fast Dash (x6)

(Bearing in mind that Olympic runners are going to have high skill bonuses, plus bonuses for perfect terrain, optimized shoes, etc, so regularly hitting Absolute Success is not at all unreasonable for them.)

But I'm always going to champion the nice, streamlined, easy to memorize static maneuver table over the bulky, inelegant, always-have-to-look-it-up moving maneuver table... ;)
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster