Author Topic: tell me more about Cyradon  (Read 15056 times)

grubman

tell me more about Cyradon
« on: April 14, 2006, 06:22:04 AM »
I know this has probably been asked a million times...but people love talking about thier favorite setting anyway.

I would like to hear what actual players of the game think of Cyradon, as opposed to a bunch of armchair GMs.  In ohter words, people who have actually adventured in the world.

Likes?  Dislikes?  a summary of the setting from the GM/players eyes rather than the writer/sellers eyes.

Thanks!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: tell me more about Cyradon
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 07:35:35 AM »
In other words, he doesn't want to listen to me spouting off.....   :laugh1: :laugh3:

grubman and I go back a ways. He actually wrote the first review of HARP, IIRC. So, please tell him what he wants to know. What you like about Cyradon, what you don't like, etc. Don't hold back, and don't sugar coat anything.

Also, here are a few reviews of Cyradon (from over on EN World) if you want to read them.

grubman - there is an actual forum for Cyradon, so I am going to move this thread over to it, as I think that is where it belongs.  ;D

grubman

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 10:59:02 AM »
In other words, he doesn't want to listen to me spouting off.....   :laugh1: :laugh3:

Well, I do like to hear you spouting off, you've been the number one reason I think that HARP has gotten such excellent exposure on the net...I just want to get the point of view and description of the world and it's strengths and weaknesses from someone who doesn't have it so close to his heart.

I'm on the fence about picking up the Revised HARP, monster book, and of course Cyradon all in Hardcover.  I recently dropped out of my main RPG group (many reasons not worth mentioning.  Lets just say it wasn't all that I wanted gaming to be) and want to start a fresh new group of "older" players.  I'm hankering for some good old fasion fantasy.  D&D is too easy an out (:)) so I'm torn between C&C and HARP right now.  The area I'm living in (around Green Bay WI) has a pretty active little C&C community, and a few RM players, but I haven't found any HARP players, so this will be a bit of a challenge.  I'm deciding if I'm up for it or not.

If Cyradon inspires me, I might also do some adventures for your fan page...because that stuff is fun!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 11:08:20 AM »
Have you read the preview (actually, this is the first chapter from the book, before the last editing pass (we changed the name of one organization in that last pass))? If not, you can download it from here ==> http://www.harphq.com/free_downloads/4300_CyradonCh1Preview.pdf and read it.

grubman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 11:19:07 AM »
Have you read the preview (actually, this is the first chapter from the book, before the last editing pass (we changed the name of one organization in that last pass))? If not, you can download it from here ==> http://www.harphq.com/free_downloads/4300_CyradonCh1Preview.pdf and read it.

I've read it before, but will take a look at it again.  I just want to get a bit more of a feeling for the general feeling the setting gives to people who have given it a good read and (hopefully) played at least a few games set there.

Hey, ince I have your atention for the moment, what happened to HARP lite?  If I do go through with this I would probably want to send this out to prospective players...but I can't find it anymore?  Was it too good, and detracting from sales?

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 11:24:54 AM »
As a sidenote, there is a pdf at dragonsfoot converting RM/HARP crit charts over to C&C.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 11:31:02 AM »
No, human error is what happened. It fell off the front page, and our web mistress forgot to give it a permanent link.

You can download it from http://www.harphq.com/free_downloads/3000L_HarpLite.pdf

I will remind her to give is a permanent link soon...

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 01:12:43 PM »
When y'all use the "C&C", are you talking about Chivalry & Sorcery?  If so, I am curious if it is still around in a new format, or are the groups just playing the old FGU version?  I haven't heard anything about it since FGU went under.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 02:12:23 PM »
C&C = Castles & Crusades, a recent game based on d20. It is more rules-lite than d20 is.

grubman

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 03:27:44 PM »
C&C = Castles & Crusades, a recent game based on d20. It is more rules-lite than d20 is.

And HARPs major competition in this catagory (actually, only competition).  As far as C&S, I did pick up that new version of it, maybe 3-4 years ago....still fairly unplayable IMHO.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 05:21:53 PM »
Okay, so folks who are playing in Cyradon still need to let grubman know what you folks think of it...  ;D

grubman

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 06:02:59 PM »
Okay, so folks who are playing in Cyradon still need to let grubman know what you folks think of it...  ;D

grubman + gamebook = No patience!

I just dropped $108 on the 3 hardcovers priority mail (still a better deal that D&D 3.5 IMHO). ;D  Yes, I am about as weak as they come!  Now, lets see what I think when they get here.  I know the rulebook is top notch, but I've never read the monster book, or even seen the Cyradon book...but it has gnomes as one of the main races, how can that be a bad thing?

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 02:28:04 AM »
I just dropped $108 on the 3 hardcovers priority mail (still a better deal that D&D 3.5 IMHO). ;D  Yes, I am about as weak as they come! 

ICE could use more customers like you. ;)

Personal opinion - very nice book.  Only one read through but more to come as I hope to be converting my RM group eventually to HARP.  There has been positive feedback about HARP in general - mainly due to the magic systyem.  General enough background hooks and ideas for stuff without becoming too entrenched in a pre-existing story line or convoluted back story.

Monster book has a nice format as well.  Background on the creatures rather than just stats.  Quantity of critters is sacrificed for that but it is a good trade.  I like the fleshed out dragon for example.  Also several that don't have counterparts in other systems.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

grubman

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 05:43:22 AM »
I just dropped $108 on the 3 hardcovers priority mail (still a better deal that D&D 3.5 IMHO). ;D  Yes, I am about as weak as they come! 

ICE could use more customers like you. ;)

Personal opinion - very nice book.  Only one read through but more to come as I hope to be converting my RM group eventually to HARP.  There has been positive feedback about HARP in general - mainly due to the magic systyem.  General enough background hooks and ideas for stuff without becoming too entrenched in a pre-existing story line or convoluted back story.

Monster book has a nice format as well.  Background on the creatures rather than just stats.  Quantity of critters is sacrificed for that but it is a good trade.  I like the fleshed out dragon for example.  Also several that don't have counterparts in other systems.

My major beef with (published) campaign settings is that I either don't feel like I have enough room to move, or I just can't get a grasp on the setting background enough to truelly call it "my own".

Cyradon looks small enough that I might be able to wrap my brain around it (even though I'm not to crazy about all the fancy new words I have to learn :)) so I have high hopes.  I like the idea that the setting (says it ) is geared tword low level play, where PCs can make a difference.  I think to often setting writers get so wrapped up in thier great creation they forget the purpose of the setting is to give player characters a place to adventure and shine...not all thier cool NPCs and back stories. 

What you said about the monsters and such has me excited.  I want the kind of information I can use to enhanse my own creations, not the other way around.  The monster description thing sounds like something that can definately inspire.  A good monster description is sometimes an excuse for an adventure all by itself.

I rather have fewer monsters, I'm a minimalist (small skill lists, small spell lists, ect.).  Less good stuff is way better than a shopping list of average or bad stuff IMHO.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2006, 05:50:54 AM »
I SO agree with you Grubman.  That's one of the reasons that in Echoes of Heaven I have an appendix that just details one country.  That way people have a place to start (after reading all the big picture stuff).  I don't know how many settings I've read that when I got done I just shook my head and put the book away, never to take it from the shelves again.  :)  That's one of the reasons I liked the original Forgotten Realms.  It had the dale lands all nicely laid out so I had a small bite to start on.  Planescape kinda did the same thing with Sigil.  I'm pretty sure I stole the idea from those two, in fact.

Anyway, I just had to chime in with that.  Mostly I'm lurking because I want to hear the answer to your question too.  I haven't seen Cyradon yet myself.  :)
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2006, 06:01:02 AM »
Well, Cyradon centers itself on two continents, with the major focus on the smaller one (where the campaign is meant to start).

We did specifically leave some things vague and undeveloped to allow you imagination to bloom. We also left some things as mysteries (many of which can be discovered by purchasing and reading the Cyradon Gazetteer #1 (only $2 -  :angel4: ). Things such as why the Gryx build and leave totem poles everyplace they go. Why the Dwarven mages who knew how to operate the Royal Roads found that they could not travel the Roads. What is the Black Dragon up to in the Madiarian Forest, and much much more...

As for monsters, if you want to see a preview of what the entries in Monsters: A Field Guide will look like, then I suggest taking a peek at the following: http://www.harphq.com/free_downloads/3002_Nightlordstats.pdf

Warning: M:AFG does not contain Elementals. If you want those, then you would need to get HARPer's Bazaar #5 or the Bazaar Annual (which contains the first 5 issues of HARPer's Bazaar and Hack & Slash, and which can be gotten as a hardback book as well, if you like...  ;D)

grubman

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2006, 06:22:15 AM »
Well, Cyradon centers itself on two continents, with the major focus on the smaller one (where the campaign is meant to start).

We did specifically leave some things vague and undeveloped to allow you imagination to bloom. We also left some things as mysteries (many of which can be discovered by purchasing and reading the Cyradon Gazetteer #1 (only $2 -  :angel4: ). Things such as why the Gryx build and leave totem poles everyplace they go. Why the Dwarven mages who knew how to operate the Royal Roads found that they could not travel the Roads. What is the Black Dragon up to in the Madiarian Forest, and much much more...

As for monsters, if you want to see a preview of what the entries in Monsters: A Field Guide will look like, then I suggest taking a peek at the following: http://www.harphq.com/free_downloads/3002_Nightlordstats.pdf

Warning: M:AFG does not contain Elementals. If you want those, then you would need to get HARPer's Bazaar #5 or the Bazaar Annual (which contains the first 5 issues of HARPer's Bazaar and Hack & Slash, and which can be gotten as a hardback book as well, if you like...  ;D)

Man, it's almost as if your trying to make money from this RPG thing, or something! ;)

Hey, why buy softcover or PDF when a Hardcover is avaliable?  That's why I work all those overtime hours.  ;D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2006, 08:52:30 AM »
Here is a Cyradon thread you might want to read - http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=842.0 - the fellow who posted it found what he considered to be a nice little nugget.

Offline GreenRipper

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 09:55:18 AM »
Sorry, just started planning a Cyradon campaign myself.   I wasn't even planning on running a game unitl HARP Sci-fi hi the "shelves" but situations change.  I had recieved a copy of Cyradon and was intrigued by the setting.  Here's some of the things I liked most:

Setting which isn't mired in metaplot.  I can use Cyradon as a base to plan my world vision.

Multiple focus.  Cyradon is a setting with open options for adventures.  You are not limited to the dungeon crawl or political intrigue.  There also isn't the verwhelming "fight against evil" that is present in all too many settings.

The fact that the characters can be intoduced to a world that they don't have a past history with.  I'm actually planning on my first adventure deal with the fall of Tarahir and the characters' escape through the Royal Roads to Cyradon.  This has limited my players in the races they can play but it should add an interesting aspect to the game.

I'll try to post my impressions as my game gets going in the next couple of weeks.  My main reason for using Cyradon is ease of use.  My life is hectic at the moment and my postion of GM was thrust upon me.  Cyradon seemed to be a good fit.

narfellus

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »
I found this old thread and thought i'd bump it up.

What can Cyradon be compared to? Surely there's something out there with a similar pantheon, world view, political agenda, etc.