Author Topic: Spacemaster: Privateers Psionics in RMFRP  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spacemaster: Privateers Psionics in RMFRP
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:30:33 AM »
A while back, I wrote up every profession I could find from RMFRP and then SM:P.  I took a look at the costs for spells and the costs for psionics, and extrapolated to create a combined set of development cost lists so that I could run sci-fi with magic or fantasy with psionics.

The other day, I was looking at my notes, and realised they were wrong.  Somehow the numbers I came up with back then just don't make any sense.

Has anyone else done this?  Would you mind sharing your notes with me?

I have in mind a steampunk styled setting, and a few ESPer's would be nice to have...
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spacemaster: Privateers Psionics in RMFRP
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »
What I did is just tweak the pure Mentalism profession to fit Psi. But no one took a Psi PC so noting ever came of it. I do not have any notes left as they were on a old PC's hard drive that crashed.

I can take a look at what you have if you want? Send me a Pm and I will send you an email address and get back to you with anything I see. Also it would help if you could provide any changes you made to other professions so I can see if it is balanced or not.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:02:04 PM »
PM sent!
No, further than that...

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 09:58:07 AM »
Ok, so I am going back to basics with this.  Before I assign any development costs anywhere, I decided to take a look at what was already there, and see what I could learn.

The real difficulty lies in decided what costs to assign what profession.  To that end, I took a look at my rulebooks and came up with the following data:

There are officially four classes of spell users: Pure, Hybrid, Semi, and non.  For my purposes, that works well enough.  I decided I didn't really need to go looking through each profession and track any variances from the norm there might be.

There are seven levels of Psionic ability.  Psychic being the best, and criminal being the worst.  So it's much like the magic users, Psychics are pure psions, criminals are non-psions, and the rest fall somewhere in between.  The only real difference is that there are more levels in between those two points.

Now for some basic assumptions:
In privateers, it seems to me that each profession is given a chance to develop psychic powers, but the descriptions of the professions give no real solid reasoning why they might.  Since psionics is mostly a personal, interior mental trait, I also see no particular reason why they might go the magic route.  The profession descriptions are all non-spell users. 

Among magic users, however, there is some exposure to unusual capabilities.  So it is easier to justify them picking up psionics than it is for a pilot (for example) to decide to learn magic.  In addition, I tried to favor mentalism-based professions, since mentalists are just fantasy versions of psions in a lot of ways.  Essence users ranked pretty high as well due to their familiarity with drawing on unusual sources of power.  At any rate, there is only one profession that got the best list of psionic costs, and that was the pyshic.

So if all of the privateers professions are potentially psionically empowered non-magic users, it became real simple: Psychics are treated as semi-spell users, and everyone else as non.  Since they already have the ability to develope psionics cheaply, there is little need to do better for them than that (plus we don't want uber psionic mages ruling the galaxy).  Maybe this becomes faulty logic when you read the next part.  Let me know what you think.

The hard part is deciding where the rest of the professions lie on the psionics line.  I numbered the different strength psychic professions with 1 being the best (the psychic) and 7 being the worst (the criminal).  And then on a case by case basis, tried to decide where along that line the profession should lie.

Before I did this, though, I tried to split psionic powers into four categories: Pure, Hybrid, Semi, and non.  I had already decided which category each fantasy profession belinged to.  Then I started copying down psionic costs.  This was when I found the seven categories.  This made things better because when I tried to align them with four categories, I didn't like the results.  Clerics and Paladins, for example, fell into the same category.  This didn't seem right.  Seven categories works much better.

Magic costs for sci-fi professions:
Psychic = Semi user
All others = non users

Psionic costs for fantasy professions (with sci-fi professions)
Type 1 = (Psychic)
Type 2 = Mentalist, Enchanter, Seer, Arcanist, Wizard, (Scientist)
Type 3 = Magician, Illusionist, Mana Molder, Mystic, Elementalist, Arcane Elementalist, (Technician)
Type 4 = Monk, Healer, Lay Healer, Sorceror, Magent, Astrologer, Warrior Mage, Mage Hunter, Warlock, (Recon), (Soldier)
Type 5 = Warrior Monk, Cleric, Animist, Dabbler, Runemage, Elemental Champion, Elemental Explorer, Summoner, (Explorer)
Type 6 = Priest*, Elemental Priest, Paladin, Ranger, Mythic, Chaotic, Armsmaster, Bard, Alchemists**, (Pilot)
Type 7 = Fighter, Thief, Rogue, Layman, Outrider, Sage, Swashbuckler, Barbarian, (Criminal)

* If you use the alternate priest construction rules from the chanelling companion, you may want to adjust their ranking based on the choices you make.  Pure priests for example might rate as high as clerics, while arms priests might rank as fighters.

** In the same vein, you may want to tweak the alchemists as well, with mentalism alchemists coming out better.

At this point, I have not actually started copying DP costs to any given profession.  I thought we might be able to haggle out where they all lay before I started, to save editing later.

So, what do you think?  What should I change, and why?
No, further than that...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
IMHO the Armsmaster should be a 4 or a 5 at worst and at least equal to or better then the Warrior Mage. Since they are a mentalism semi-spell using profession.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:29 AM »
I had trouble assigning that one.

Like you said, on the one hand, he is a mentalist (semi).  But on the other, the description of the character shows a focus not overly suited to learning psionics.  He's more of a battlefield commander than a front-line fighter.  So I can see both points of view.

But I think you may be right, and that he and the warrior mage should be approximately equal.  After all, manipulating entire troop formations is still a sort of psychic ability.
No, further than that...

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »
I think I'll move (tenatively) both the Armsmaster and Warrior Mage to level 5.  This lets them focus on their magical powers and boost them with a few minor psionics.

Also keep in mind that there are no base lists for the psionic professions, even though the Psychic is being treated as a semi spell-caster.

And Mark, in your e-mail you mentioned an article about changing base list costs.  I can't seem to find it.  Do you have a link?

(And why can't I edit my post above?  I can edit my replies...)
No, further than that...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
  You can edit your replies only after a specific time period. I think that after 5 min they become static. This is for legal reasons.

I have the article you are looking for and will send it to you.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 04:04:27 PM »
It's not as much legal as it is just to keep things coherent.  If Mark now went in and changed his post to read that it was for coherent reasons, then this response would make no sense.

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »
I could swear that one of the character spreadsheets in the vault did unified costs across both systems.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com