Author Topic: Feedback on Scalable Spells for RMSS/RMFRP  (Read 5436 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Feedback on Scalable Spells for RMSS/RMFRP
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »
Interesting idea. To be honest, I think I would prefer to have the scaling options, if I were to have them, integrated into the spell descriptions like I suggested, not separated from them.

One possible way to do this: The lowest level version of a spell would be the most basic with no scaling options, and as level goes up, so would the available scaling options, and/or the number of scaling options that may be chosen when casting the spell.

This is what I had in mind and have been working on and IMHO is the way to keep a spell list feel and add scaling to RM. But others I see have a different idea and it may work better for them.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 08:20:38 PM »
I believe the crux of the problem is in a spells creation. Once that is worked out so that all spells are created equally/balanced then I believe a scalable mechanic can be implemented without to much difficulty.
I've been working on solving that issue on and off for some time and I'm getting closer to the answer. I'll have to dig out my notes again since this thread has kindled my interest once again.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 09:48:02 AM »
We are using a version of scalable spells for RMFRP. Spells are easier to cast, but only certain spells are scalable.

For all intents and purposes, "caster level" is "Ranks in List". The knowledge you have in a single List is specific to that set of spells. Casting "at Rank", we also eliminated overcasting. You only know the List up to the Ranks in that List.

When you cast a spell that has a "/level" increase, you only get the 1st lvl increment. Casting Earthen Spikes is an 8th lvl spell, requires 8 PP and has a duration of 10 min/lvl.  In our game, the duration is 10 min. That's all you get for your 8 PP! Each additional 1 PP gives you another 10 minutes. Duration now reads: 10 min +(10 min/+PP).
So any spell that has a "X/lvl" is a scalable spell.

The benefits to this system are that low lvl Professions can have a decent chance of actually using their spells because they cast at Rank. Everyone is more successful at casting spells, but not everyone can power the same kinds of effect. The high lvl Fighter who picks up a Rank in a List, doesn't get his "character lvl" to fall  back on. He still has to spend the PP if he wants the "/lvl" AoE, Duration, Range, etc of the spell. As we know, most Fighters don't have a surplus of PP.

Modifications to the SCSM Chart:
Power Points: +1 SCSM/PP >minimum to cast.
(You get a slight bonus to cast by spending the extra PP for /lvl increase.) This has saved our 7th lvl Monk's life, twice. Only applies to spells that are scalable.

If Spell Failure: -1/PP > minimum to cast. The bonus PP acts as a neg on the Spell Failure Table. You couldn't control the power.... :)

This way, we have some spells that are scalable and everyone can cast a bit easier. Not many people are going to spend precious PP on long durations, extra range, etc. But if you really want it, then you can make it happen.

I also dropped PP multipliers. The key is to make PP more valuable than Mithral to the PCs. I do have PP Adders; there are just a few spell Lists that make these. +3, +5, +10.. You can have more than one but you have to Attune to it. Each additional adder is a DR harder to attune. Spell Adders reset each dawn.

The beauty of Spell Mastery...
Spell Mastery saves PP! My players have learned to develop Spell Mastery to save their precious PP; doubling the Duration of 10min/lvl to 20 min/lvl on the Earthen Spikes above means that 8PP gives you 20 min and each additional PP gives you 20 min.
Magical Languages (One Language /Spell List is how I run it.) and Ritual Magic can also give similar results. The players embraced it. Our Mage took up Drumming to increase his Ritual Magic and learned Magical Languages for the PP heavy scalable Lists.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 08:19:44 PM »
Some good ideas in there Prov...have a point.

Humour me for a minute...if there where to be a revised spell system for RM, instead of having a spell "level" would it be better to be named a spell "potency". I think this would be better worded in a scalable system.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 04:16:21 AM »
I never really liked the approach to RM's spells. I found that low level mages were too weak compared to their fighter counterparts and that scaling or "adjusting" a spell required too much in the development cost. I find HARP to fix this problem in placing the scaling system in with the spell rather than making it something you have to purchase outside purchasing the spell. I also liked the idea that magic in general has very thin borders over RM's system where the borders are very very thick. That is I found it strange that there is a spell for a mage in RM called MageStaff but that a Wizard under Arcane doesn't have such a spelllist. Why not? why couldn't a Wizard and Mage share a spell list? So in a way scaling spells in RM is great but there is more the RM system of Spells that keeps me away from using the system.  so in a sense I like the idea of having the ability to scale a Rolemaster Spells. This is a great idea but I wish there was a lot more to the RM spells than just a scaling fix.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 08:17:07 AM »
Thanks, Monk, for the feedback. I can understand that you'd like to see more changes. Since I prefer slow evolution of the RM magic system over a great revolution, I only changed a small aspect and introduced an option for spell scaling  ;).