Author Topic: Combat Types Question  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combat Types Question
« on: September 25, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »
1) How do scaling spells (elemental Bolt) work in Hack and Slash?  Do they simply resolve as a larger attack size, with the -20 to your attack roll?  Do you add the +10 size modifier?

2) What is the difference between the Condensed combat system in HB11&12 and H&S?  I know that the HB one is more like RM, but does it involve multiple rolls (a second roll for criticals)?

3) What was the 'twist' on H&S presented in HB14?  Why should I get it?

Offline Erik Sharma

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Combat Types Question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:08:37 AM »
  • As far as I know Scaling Works normally so you attack on the larger attack size but the modification is -10 not -20 (+2PP x -5 = -10). As far as I know The Critical Modifier for Size is not +10 but -10 for Small size since a Bolts start at Tiny attack with a -20. Either way the Critical Modifiers & Damage Caps for Weapon Sizes are not used in H&S at all so this can be completely ignored. You simply use the new Size column in the Attack Table.
  • I only have HB11 and not HB12, but the Condensed Combat system in HB11 seems to be excactly the same combat system as the one in Rolemaster Express but with some modifications to adapted it to HARP. And yes! That means that you do roll again for a crit.
  • Don't have HB 14 so can't really answer this question.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 07:00:41 AM »
elemental Bolts -- Remember, the attack roll itself does NOT include the size adjustment for the attack. That gets applied AFTER you determine whether or not you hit your target.

HB 14 -- This takes the basic H&S system, and institutes an attack size vs defender size comparison to determine on which column the attack roll should be made.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:11:31 AM »
  • As far as I know Scaling Works normally so you attack on the larger attack size but the modification is -10 not -20 (+2PP x -5 = -10). As far as I know The Critical Modifier for Size is not +10 but -10 for Small size since a Bolts start at Tiny attack with a -20. Either way the Critical Modifiers & Damage Caps for Weapon Sizes are not used in H&S at all so this can be completely ignored. You simply use the new Size column in the Attack Table.
  • I only have HB11 and not HB12, but the Condensed Combat system in HB11 seems to be excactly the same combat system as the one in Rolemaster Express but with some modifications to adapted it to HARP. And yes! That means that you do roll again for a crit.
  • Don't have HB 14 so can't really answer this question.

Thanks for that!

I'm still a bit confused about scaling on H&S.  Do you apply the +10 for size to the critical table?
So, if I threw say an Acid bolt and rolled a 100, I'd do 6L on Tiny.  But if I'd scaled up to Small, it would be a 90 so it would be 12L...except I'd then add 10 to the critical number and according to the table that comes out at as an N?  If it were scaled to Med, it would be an 80, so it would do 16L... or rather 16N.  Etc, etc until Huge where I do 22L... or N. 

Is that how it works?  Basically scaling is still pretty pointless in H&S (well, past Small... 2PP for 4 hits doesn't seem very worthwhile)?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:17:02 AM »
For H&S, you just change columns when you change size (and adjust OB accordingly as normal).