Author Topic: Space travel  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Johan Wärlander

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Space travel
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:43:01 PM »
Hello!

I've recently purchased the HARP SF Gamma release, and I'm very enthusiastic about trying it out. However, I can't seem to find any real guidelines for traveling with a vehicle through space using the magneto-gravitic drive and/or portals. Available vehicles, max sub-light speeds, etc.. I know there's lots of mention about further vehicle details in HARP SF Xtreme, but I didn't really take that to be a complete lack of the details necessary for space travel. Am I missing something?

And yeah, I guess with the downloadables listing travel times etc, and the few downloadable ship layouts, I might of course be able to improvise something, but I'm not fond of setting up initial expectations for the players that later prove to be totally wrong. Because when I get my hands on further supplements, I certainly will want to use them :)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Space travel
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
In the Beta stage of the pdf, the entirety of the HARP SF manuscript was available. In order to make it feasible to publish in terms of length, ICE took the decision to move four chapters worth - Vehicles, Vehicle Combat, Cyberware and Cybertech - out to HARP SciFi Xtreme. The Delta and Gamma versions of HARP SciFi have excluded those chapters.

best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Johan Wärlander

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:42:48 PM »
Yeah, I understood as much - I just thought there would have been some minimal 4-5 page info on it left at least, to be greatly expanded upon in Xtreme :)

Now, I'm certainly getting Xtreme as soon as it's available for PDF download and don't really mind except for having to wait, but I would imagine that a new ICE customer who wanted to try out the system would be less satisfied with not even having a simplistic set of base rules to use for space travel - in a sci-fi game.

For purposes of improvising something, however - what's the max speeds for ships like the Manta Ray Explorer, Hypershuttle, Microshuttle and the Corsair? From the downloadable tables I assume the absolute max speed for the magneto-gravitic engines to date is 0.07c, but I imagine it would differ between engine sizes.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 01:35:01 PM »
use 0.07c for military craft, max 600g accel, unless it's a courier shuttle capable of 900g.

use 0.035c for civilian craft, normal max 300g accel.

FTL is normally one light-year per day. Portal FTL is one light-year per minute.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Johan Wärlander

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 01:50:16 PM »
Thanks, I should be able to make do with that for now :)

Offline thedoctor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:08:29 PM »
Is there any timetable on the Xtreme supplement?  I'm looking at buying Gama, but would rather have the vehicle and cybertech stuff as well before beginning a game.