Author Topic: Question about stuns  (Read 889 times)

Offline Kasdaye

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question about stuns
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:56:42 AM »
Hi all

A situation arose in a game the other day that hadn't happened before and I was wondering how it should have been resolved.

The round began with a demonic cat-like creature pouncing at one of my prone characters (who had just admirably messed up teleporting off his horse!). As the creature was mid-pounce, 2 characters shot their bows at it. Both of these characters miraculously beat the creature in the initiative roll.

The first shot it in the face stunning it for 2 rounds (Which it failed to resist), then the second shot it in the back stunning it for a further 3 rounds. However, after the second shot it rolled to resist the cumulative stun and passed. Subsequently landing on my poor monk and effectively tearing him a new one...

The way we read the rules this should have been ok as a roll to resist stun is a roll to resist ALL stun. It also makes sense this way if you see it as a second blow bringing the stunned creature round. However this seems to be a lot to happen in the mind of a pouncing cat in the space of 2 seconds!

Should we have played it like this? Or should Kitty have been left staring at it's own tail wondering who just tried to turn it into a kebab?
"There is nothing to fear but fear itself... and zombies"

"We must fight against apathy!!!... Or not, I don't really care"

"My lady, I'd love to stay and chat, but I fear tequila has gotten the better of me" - Me... Unfortunately

"On my way here I wrote but a single word in my diary. It simply read... Bugger. - Captain Darling

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Question about stuns
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:36:07 AM »
Technically, the kitty should have made 2 separate RRs against the stun, presuming failure of either or both, he would not have passed out, but just been stunned (unable to attack, likely to run rather than just sitting there waiting to be smacked on some more), unless it is immune to stun (a common capability among demonic creatures).

And being stunned, while in the air, as a GM, I would not have allowed it to complete it attack, BUT its momentum would have been considered a (different) bashing attack against that poor guy on the ground (although the arrows hitting it may have also shoved it off course, since it was in mid-air).

As for the GM lumping both RRs into one - He is the GM, so that is perfectly alright. The same for him deciding that the combined attacks knocked the creature unconscious. As GM, it is up to him to adjust combat/critical results to match the situation, and he may have included other factors that he didn't tell you guys about (who knows it may have already been way down on hits and the two attack put it below zero knocking it out).  ;D

Thus, I have absolutely no issues with how he handled it -- afterall, it is his game.  ;D

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:49:18 AM »
Since I treat RR vs stun as a cascading RR, I treat it as an RR vs the cumulative stun in the round ...

Offline Kasdaye

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:52:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies. The GM didn't stipulate immunity to stun. He'd made the creature himself so prob didn't include it.

I had no objections to the way he handled it. He justified it by saying that the arrow to the backside shocked the creature and made it flail wildly at the nearest thing (My face...). I can't complain, I'm a harsh GM when it's my turn so I'd likely have done the same :P

I was just wondering what other people thought. It's the different interpretations of the rules that make harp the game it is :).
"There is nothing to fear but fear itself... and zombies"

"We must fight against apathy!!!... Or not, I don't really care"

"My lady, I'd love to stay and chat, but I fear tequila has gotten the better of me" - Me... Unfortunately

"On my way here I wrote but a single word in my diary. It simply read... Bugger. - Captain Darling