Author Topic: Figures and a grid map.  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Deeman

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Figures and a grid map.
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:05:30 PM »
I'm slowly gearing up to run HARP game for my long time D&D group which has used figures on a square grid map for a while.  Does the Battlemaster map supplement have square grid rules as well as hex?  I'm guessing not.  I've run games on both and hex maps do offer easier multidirectional movement and easier discernment between front, flank and rear.  On the other hand I find it more of a pain to draw maps out on a hex grid.  Regardless of those arguements I have a lot of square grid role playing aids, so I won't be transfering over to hexes.

So I have questions for those that run on square grids. 

I'm looking at what should be  considered the front, flank, and rear of the character.  F=front, S=flank, R =rear
^ = player/critter facing.

F F  F        F  F F       F  F  F
S ^ S        F ^ F       S ^ S
R R R        S R S       S R S

Hope that conveys the options I'm looking at.  I'm not sure what provides too much or too little vulnerability.  Don't want the game to turn into "lets see who can get behind/flank who".

Second, is the issue of facing.  Pay movement for it or make it free during a players inititative turn?  I'm thinking free, but I'm open to any issues with that.

Lastly, I know the Battlemasters supplement uses 3' per hex, but I'm going to stick with the 5' per square.  It has worked well in the past and it is what my players are used to.  Determing the number of squares moved when a player moves say 11' to 14' BMR is a bit of a problem.  I'm thinking round to the nearest 5'.  12' BMR would move 2 square, but the 13'BMR gets three.  What have you other square grid users found that works for you?

Thanks in advance.   :D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Figures and a grid map.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 04:58:58 PM »
No, Battlemaster does not contain rules regarding squares

My suggestion would be to use the square facing example in the center.

Facing -- Battlemaster contains rules on facing, including 1 free facing change, plus 1 free facing change per hex moved, with additional changes granting a -20 modifier to actions (or something like that -- I am going from memory, not having the product open before me).

Movement -- rounding is what we did as well. for the 3' per hex (we selected 3' because 3' is close enough to 1 meter that our metric brethren would not feel left out).  ;D

Battle Master contains a table that converts feet to hexes, and you can do the same, so long as you keep the 2' above the multple is round down and 3' above is round up, as you are suggesting, all the way through, then you shouldn't have any real problems.

Dr_Sage

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 12:01:22 AM »
I havent aquired Battlemaster yet, but I will be in the exact same situation: My material is all squared (for now). :(

If I may make a suggestion: change the BMR of the Human-like PCs to a fixed number of squares, or you will have a LOT of "tall" PCs. I do not feel confortable with the idea of a character having 50% more movement becuse he happens to be 2 centimeters taller than the other.

My gaming group has only human characters so I house-ruled 2 squares as the BMR, and the horses have 4. I also do not alow changing directions easly if you are above "run".

I hope that helps.  ;)

Best regards,

Andre

Offline Deeman

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 12:38:18 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Offline twistedoliver

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:59:11 PM »
Hello,

I haven't played yet, but I was going to be using a 5' square grid only because that's all I have right now.  But I was going to try this..

on page 25 table 5.4 BMR I added a new column and added this...

BMR 2'       = 2' (1/2 square, takes 2 movements to move a square) close enough 2.5'
BMR 3' - 7' = 5' (1 square)
BMR 8' - 12' = 10' (2 squares)
BMR 13' - 17' = 15' (3 squares)
BMR 18' - 22' = 20' (4 squares)
etc...

This is similar to what was talking in the initial post.  I picked this scale as there is 5 feet in each range and there is 2 feet below and 2 feet above for each square.  for example in the BMR 8-12 there is 2 feet below 10 and 2 feet above 10 (11 and 12). 

Not sure how that was going to work, but I was going to try that... I know that the BMR of only 2' will be tricky, but since I don't see many creatures in combat that slow, I think that it will be ok..

What do others think?  I think I have posted this before in other topics...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 10:06:43 PM by twistedoliver, Reason: added reason for scale »

Dr_Sage

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 05:47:36 PM »
BMR 8' - 12' = 10' (2 squares)
BMR 13' - 17' = 15' (3 squares)

What do others think?  I think I have posted this before in other topics...

Hello there.

In my opinion that is way too drastic for someone that just happens to be taller or have more Quickness. From 10 to 15 feet is a 50% diference, that is even weirder when you start accelerate the pace.

Well just my toughts.

Offline jurasketu

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 11:30:57 PM »
I've always used grids. Currently, for HARP, I play totally metric to teach my children to think in metric. So each 25mm grid square is one meter. And we use 54mm figures 'cause we have a gadrillion 54mm plastic soldiers (Roman, Viking, Medieval) and its actually to scale with the grid map. Anyway, we play "loosely". In other words, distances are all approximate and positioning is always most favorable for best flavor and common sense. Movement is always approximate. So we just guess at distances and do what "looks" good.

But if you like exactitude - I would use the grid NOT to position the figures - let the figures be anywhere. Just use the grid to make quick measurements and help with drawing. Use a ruler or templates for measuring and movement. Dowel rods or wood skewers with 1" marks (to represent meters, 5 feet, whatever scale you like) work great. Longer measures can be done with a tape measure. That's the way table top wargaming is done.

In my opinion, facing (flank, rear, etc) should be obvious given the position of the models and always giving the defender "best" choice of facing if the defender is aware of all attackers - ie turn for free. In other words, if a character is aware of a lone attacker, there is no way the attacker should get a positional bonus if the defender can turn normally. Sure, first round surprise - you get position - but otherwise no.

This does NOT apply to characters on horseback, really large lumbering creatures, characters charging or otherwise running, characters maneuvering heavy loads or polearms, stuck in the mud, et cetera. Characters and monsters in such circumstances don't get to turn freely and so would need to make a maneuver roll and the attacker might even be able to maintain flanking position by moving every round (at penalty to attack of course).
It is better to be lucky than good, but it is *best* to be both.

When in fear, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!