Author Topic: What suppliments to buy for what  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What suppliments to buy for what
« on: August 29, 2007, 07:06:13 PM »
I've now recieved my HARP book and am all set to run a session next week.  I'm very excited about it and am hoping to add to the game if the players take to it.  But, what suppliments contain what?

Are there rules for creating fighting styles in Martial Law?
Are there rules for creating spell casting styles in The College of Magics?
Is the Codex strictly a spell book?

I'd like to add a couple PDFs this weekend to flesh it out a bit.

Any advice would be welcomed!

Cheers
James

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: What suppliments to buy for what
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:46:08 PM »
I have been meaning to put the Table of Contents into the OIC section of the forums. I'll knock off the HARP books tomorrow for you.

Thom
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 09:11:56 PM »
TOC's for HARP, Martial Law, Monsters: A Field Guide and College of Magics are all up there right now.

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=4813.msg64590#new

I'll do some more tomorrow on the same thread.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 02:14:15 AM »
I don't recall of the top of my head whether or not Martial Law has rules for creating fighting styles, but College of Magics certainly contains everything you need to know about creating spells and casting styles. Codex is not simply a spell book, it also contains 4 new classes - Shadowblade, Druid, Adventurer and Mystic.

Many people on these forums will recommend that you get College of Magics as your first supplement, and it is one of the best roleplaying supplements regardless of system, but I think it depends on which way your campaign is likely to go. If magic is the core of your campaign, then CoM is your best option. However, if you want a bit more variety, then I would recommend Codex, as the classes in that book offer a broader range of options.

Hawk

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:01:06 AM »
Martial Law does have some new combat styles and a few martial arts styles, but no rules on how to create your own. 

College of Magics explains how to create new spells and items, and IMHO is well worth the purchase.  The Codex is also worth a look and it has the new professions that Hawkwind mentioned.

You might want to get Monsters: A Field Guide also if you don't have it already as it adds new monsters to the mix, plus lays out how to play them and how to create new creatures.

Just my two coppers.  :)
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline allenrmaher

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:56:27 PM »
The parts of Martial Law I find it hard to live without are the armour and weapon rules, critical tables (I really like hit location specific damage), and combat manoeuvres and skills.  If you have fighters who don't want to get bored there is plenty to keep them busy here.

If  you want to expand your magic CoM and  Codex are really great.  They allow you customize your magic to a huge number of settings.  Your spell casters might be interested in either.

Loot is one of those GM's treasures... it has so much good campaign building stuff (and in a low magic world or one where artificers, witches and the like were common... it is a must).  Not something  you need right away but fun for a GM to have.

M:AFG is a great GM resource... and one that begs a sequel.  The core book has enough to get you started... but the M:AFG is a great GM resource.

A personal favourite is the HARPer's Bazaar Annual... great bang for your buck and it includes Hack and Slash.

Grad School, it's like slave labour, but without the job satisfaction or high social status.

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 07:11:51 AM »
All are right!
- CoM: new spells, new mage types (elementalist, necromancer...): rules for spell creation and object; the quality is that the rules are simples.
- Monster a field guide: a master cannot live without: new stranges opponents and rules for create tour own monsters: I think that a second guide will be a good edit.
- codex: like others said: new spells and my favorite mage: the mystic a crossover of Mentalist/illusionnist of old RM.
Hack'NSlash: a great BANG for combat, the players feel the sweat along their bodies with this horrendous/mega good combat system. Monsters hunt not recommanded :D
But I wait to see Something Wicked to come: a book on the evil spell casters and demons, Niark, niark, niark
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&