Author Topic: Some Questions After Reading The HARP Martial Law Book  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Ylissa

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Some Questions After Reading The HARP Martial Law Book
« on: March 10, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »
In preparation to finally run a HARP game, I have reread the HARP Martial Law book and have come up with some questions.
Apologies if these have already been asked, but I had some issue using the forum search function (due to timeouts).

p17 Double Weapon mentions Spear and Staff as being suitable for the style, whilst (later on) the Twin Bladed Sword and Orcish Kalmar are noted as being suitable for use with the style.
Q1 - what is the complete list of weapons that can be use with this style (from the main rulebook and Martial Law), or is it just these 4 weapons?
Q2 - what is the damage size of the second attack?
Q3 - does the Ambidexterity talent cancel out the -20 on the second attack?
Q4 - if a Quarterstaff (which normally delivers a Large Crush) is used, what is the damage for both the first attack and the second attack (assuming it is not Large and Large)?

Q5 p17 Paired Weapons - is there a limit on the size of the weapons used (in the same way that Dual Weapon Kata can only be used with small one-handed weapons); or can any weapon that can be used in 1 hand be used; so for example a human using a Broadsword in each hand?

Q6 p19 Dual Sai Style - Sai normally only grant their DB bonus if the wielder has the Shield Training talent; is that still the case if the character has this Style, or is the +30DB granted even if the wielder does not have the talent?

Q7 p19 Dual Sai Style/Dual Weapon Kata - if a character is using 2 Sai and has training in both of these Martial Art Combat Styles, can the benefits of both styles be used at the same time? For example, +30DB AND the increased critical damage in the same round?

Q8 p20 Wrestling - what is the damage size for such an attack?

Q9 p25 Haft Bash - in the case of a Pole Arm that normally does a Small attack (Man Catcher), will this action still cause a Medium attack?

p42 under Other Weapons - there are a number of weapons which are described as have certain abilities, but which do not provide a mechanical function to emulate that ability. These are:
Q10 p44 Partisan - described as weapon breaker, are there any rules for modelling this?
Q11 p44 Man Catcher - does a Puncture critical, should this not be doing a Grapple critical (instead of or in addition to) the Puncture critical?
Q12 p45 Raka - described as a sword catcher and deflector, should this not provide a DB bonus when used defensively (similar to a Sai)?
Q13 p45 Turya-raka - described as parrying weapon, should this not provide a DB bonus when used defensively (similar to a Sai)?
Q14 p45 Rope Dart - described as entangling or Puncture (when thrown), what would be the bonus when used for entangling opponents?

Q15 p44 Bastard Axe - lists 1HE damage as Large, no 2H damage listed. Should this be Medium for 1HE and Large for 2H usage?

Q16 p64 Called Shots - when using the ABTP rules, what happens if a called shot is made to a location that has no armour - is there a reduction in the targets DB?

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Some Questions After Reading The HARP Martial Law Book
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 09:34:49 AM »
Q3 I would assume that Ambidexterity does cancel the penalty.

Q5 While my answer is not official, I feel the intention of Paired Weapons is any two of the same one-handed weapon.

Related to Q6, I was wondering about the Madu's DB Bonus. I have concluded that it makes sense to only apply it if the user has Shield Training.

Not Martial Law in particular, but I am confused about some things with Polearms. I assume you use Polearms when you're using bladed ends of it, Polearms Thrown when you're throwing it, and Staves when you're using the shaft of it. I'm also confused about using some Polearms one handed, aside from Medium in one hand, Large in two.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Sai

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Some Questions After Reading The HARP Martial Law Book
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »
For Q20 (Wrestling): in HARP MA this is a developed (aka trained) Martial Arts combat style, so you could use the damage size guidance from HARP Fantasy "Martial Arts Sweeps," but with the Grapple attack table:
"Attacks made using this skill are treated as a Small attack on the Martial Arts Sweeps Attack Table. Martial Arts Sweeps has a Fumble Range of 01-03." (HARP Fantasy, p. 45)

Remember, the Monk's professional abilities allow them to make Martial Arts attacks (which would include the HARP MA Wresting combat style) as Medium sized attacks.
"Martial Arts attacks by the Monk are Medium Attacks rather than Small Attacks." (HARP Fantasy, p. 14)

For untrained wrestling attacks, use the Brawling skill, which limits the attack size to Tiny. The Brawling skill is covered in a bit more detail in the forthcoming book HARP Subterfuge, which *should* contain the following advice applicable to untrained wrestling. Extrapolating these ideas to the trained Wrestling combat style would be up to you. E.G., in your campaign, does it makes sense to allow a trained wrestler with a 96+ AG (or one with 40+ ranks in Wrestling) to make Medium rather than Small wrestling attacks?

The Brawling skill description indicates brawling attacks can “use a Tiny or Small attack size,” but does not explain what conditions are required for a Small attack. We suggest the following non-cumulative conditions:
•   Any Large or Huge creature or race (e.g. Navrothor) does Small Brawling criticals
•   Any character with natural Strength stat of 96 or higher does a Small critical if striking
•   Any character with natural Agility stat of 96 or higher does a Small critical if wrestling
•   Any character with 40 or more ranks in Brawling does Small critical (“40” is expert level for combat actions)
Author of HARP Subterfuge