Author Topic: Skills question  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Hobo

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Skills question
« on: March 26, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
Sorry if this is a repeat but skimming though the threads I did not see this question.

OK, I am new to this and working through the books, which mean that this may be the first of many questions....lol

Skills.......I went through character generation and noticed that by 3rd level I can have a max rank of 12. So lets say I am level 3 with 12 ranks of skill (+54) in acrobatics with a Ag stat of 85 (+7 ) and a SD stat of 85 (+7 ) bringing the combined total to +68. So if the character tries an ABSURD skill roll (-100) he will be successful over half the time???

Is this right? Because it seems very easy for characters to routinely pull off ridiculous acts very early on in the characters development or did I totally miss something???

Offline ImaginosMusic

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Pikes Peak or Bust!!!
Re: Skills question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:54:38 PM »
The master skill list (pg 36) defines each skill as one of several types, acrobatics is listed as All-or-Nothing. This means that the roll after modifications must be 101 or greater. This can be found in the Adventuring chapter under the All-or-Nothing Maneuvers heading on page 74. Here is an example using the modifier you provided.

95 (The roll) + 68 (modifier) - 100 (Absurd) = 63

The result of 63 is less than 101 so the attempt fails. Any roll from 96 to 100 would explode making the chance for a success higher.