Author Topic: Random Updates from Terry Amthor  (Read 285724 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: Random Updates from Terry Amthor
« Reply #360 on: April 03, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »
More Emer II work... something I should have included all along: linguistics skills for the various cultures, written and spoken, just for GM reference. We might forget that most of the populations of many places might be illiterate. So, I'm including some written/spoken linguistics skill levels (from Character/Campaign Law) in the Culture Summaries, and also where appropriate in the general text.

Working through the Spring allergies...
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #361 on: April 04, 2014, 02:50:35 AM »
I must admit some lingering curiosity about why the old Grand Campaign aborted concept still inspires so much interest. Was it the pre-designed quest? The player-characters with integral backgrounds? The detailed, plotted-out adventures? All of the above?
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Takeyabue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #362 on: April 05, 2014, 01:09:04 AM »
I must admit some lingering curiosity about why the old Grand Campaign aborted concept still inspires so much interest. Was it the pre-designed quest? The player-characters with integral backgrounds? The detailed, plotted-out adventures? All of the above?

For me it is the detailed, plotted out adventures. I am not really in the market for adventure ideas as I have way too many of those already... I way my job as a GM made easier not more jobs...

Secondly would be the player characters who are integrally involved.

Takeyabue

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #363 on: April 05, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »

For me it is the detailed, plotted out adventures. I am not really in the market for adventure ideas as I have way too many of those already... I way my job as a GM made easier not more jobs...

Secondly would be the player characters who are integrally involved.

Takeyabue

,,,and then there is the comparative talk amongst other gamers about what the GM changed, what special location or treasure was missed, what silly GM shoehorned in one encounter and totally blew it, which is far funnier than the actual Gully Dwarves.

It also offered a certain additional solidity to the world, certainly to an expanding setting that was dynamic. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline JohnnyR

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #364 on: April 05, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »
All the above, especially the characters. Interesting differing cultures/ backgrounds, viewpoints, etc. Want more!
"Whirlwind tours" are not my style but this one was cool.
Plotted-out adventures are always welcome in my book.

Offline Vurkanan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #365 on: April 05, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »
I used bits and pieces of the Grand Campaign. I liked the (potentially) epic scope of it and I read it as background and source material.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #366 on: April 06, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »

I never cared much about pre-created characters... But the rest had it's appeal when I was lazy ( or didn't have enough time to prepare something ). I could just pop a GC adventure appropriate to where my players were and keep them busy for the session, without having to go fully ad-lib.
And there was something else too... The flexibility of the campaign... You could insert one of it's adventure in the middle of the rest of the campaign you were doing and keep your players completely unaware that it had a greater purpose...Last, the whole idea of the Grand Campaign... What is hinted by the notes on what has not been written is irresistible from my point of view....
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #367 on: April 06, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »

I never cared much about pre-created characters... But the rest had it's appeal when I was lazy ( or didn't have enough time to prepare something ). I could just pop a GC adventure appropriate to where my players were and keep them busy for the session, without having to go fully ad-lib.
And there was something else too... The flexibility of the campaign... You could insert one of it's adventure in the middle of the rest of the campaign you were doing and keep your players completely unaware that it had a greater purpose...Last, the whole idea of the Grand Campaign... What is hinted by the notes on what has not been written is irresistible from my point of view....

this pretty much sums up my opinion.

the modular construction of each adventure part in each different region allowed for them to be cut out and used in my home campaigns.  I also didn't go much for the pregen characters as my own players always want to make thier own, but the back stories of how they fit into the campaign was priceless.. It allowed me as theGM to assign those tidbits of info to thier own characters and give each player a 'link' into the campaign to make them feel a part of the story.

having said that I do see teh value of having pre-gen characters as it shows a good guidline of what kind of character balance you will need to complete the campaign. It also helps for new characters who just want to jump in and have no experience in / desire to make a rolemaster character but still want to try the system.

EDIT : a million typos
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #368 on: April 07, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »
re: Grand Campaign: Thanks for the input! In future books & revisions I intend to include some PC background bits (but no complete characters) that the GM can possibly integrate. Also good to know about detailed adventures vs. hooks.

Also slogging along on Emer II (and a bit on the Gryphonburgh adventure; I have files for both open in InDesign and flip back and forth. ADHD), though I keep making more work for myself. I realized that Emer II had no 'Other Powers' section, that the Thanor Wastes really needed some more detail, and I invented a few new fauna. This on top of greatly expanding the sections on all the major cultures, and the adventures section. We've passed 200 pages (the old book had 132 pp., more whitespace, and bigger margins!).
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #369 on: April 09, 2014, 04:28:54 AM »
Burning out on NPC statting in Emer II. Feeling sleepy... Need more coffee...
 :-\
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Mercenary30

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #370 on: April 09, 2014, 05:48:42 AM »
I want to echo the thoughts of some here in that the pregen characters really brought the text to life, but I never actually used them.

To me, like all Shadow World items, it is about the interest in how the GC was going to impact the timeline and bring even more definition to Kulthia.  I love the big picture stuff!
'I think he just earned his money,' I whispered to the gaping Jad, 'and be so kind as to close your mouth.'  -  Kalen Avanir

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #371 on: April 11, 2014, 12:50:04 AM »
I think finally the home stretch from Emer II... then editing and more NPC conversions for our poor editors...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #372 on: April 11, 2014, 02:49:47 AM »
Now that MS office (really, Word is what I need) is finally available on the iPad, maybe I should finally get one, so I can do some Word file writing/editing away from the home office and the desktop machine. (Also considering that my laptop is an ibook running OS 10.3 that cannot handle any recent browser, and the battery fails after about an hour.) Now, how to afford that iPad...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #373 on: April 15, 2014, 02:14:25 AM »
Terry, what are you moving on to once Emer II is done? Emer I, Emer IV, Eidolon, Jaiman, or your adventure?

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #374 on: April 16, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
Terry, what are you moving on to once Emer II is done? Emer I, Emer IV, Eidolon, Jaiman, or your adventure?

I'd like to get the adventure finished next; it just needs the adventures done (sound familiar?) and a couple of maps. Then I'm not sure. Eidolon probably, then Emer I, Haalkitaine, then tackle Jaiman, which needs a complete rewrite. Emer IV is down there, after even the new NE Jaiman book, which will be similar in nature to Xa-ar.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #375 on: April 17, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
I do wonder if there will be any point in redoing the Jaiman book now. It seems to be being made obsolete like the old Emer boxed set. There's the new Xa-ar and Wulriis books, the revamped Cloudlords and the proposed edit of Haalkitaine. With a few more, the entire continent will be largely covered, so maybe it would be better to take the relevant material from Jaiman and add it to those areas that haven't been covered.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #376 on: April 18, 2014, 09:17:32 AM »
I do wonder if there will be any point in redoing the Jaiman book now. It seems to be being made obsolete like the old Emer boxed set. There's the new Xa-ar and Wulriis books, the revamped Cloudlords and the proposed edit of Haalkitaine. With a few more, the entire continent will be largely covered, so maybe it would be better to take the relevant material from Jaiman and add it to those areas that haven't been covered.

That's a good point. Much of the old Jaiman module is actually dungeon layouts (well, tombs and citadels) rather than a continent overview, so it might be better off repurposed as two different books. Of course all the Fantasy Hero stats have to go, and RMSS/RMFRP added in....
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline geh4th

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2014, 11:27:18 PM »
In keeping with this possible notion of further "regionalizing" Jaiman, do you think there'd be enough material (and interest) to do perhaps two additional separate sourcebooks, one for Zor/Ja'miil Targ/Saralis (whatever isn't covered in Xa-ar or Wuliris, that is), and one for the area from Norek/U-lyshak stretching west/southwest into Ly-aran and possibly Ulor itself?

Or maybe the two ideas could be combined.

Offline Mordred

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #378 on: April 19, 2014, 07:43:42 AM »
In keeping with this possible notion of further "regionalizing" Jaiman, do you think there'd be enough material (and interest) to do perhaps two additional separate sourcebooks, one for Zor/Ja'miil Targ/Saralis (whatever isn't covered in Xa-ar or Wuliris, that is), and one for the area from Norek/U-lyshak stretching west/southwest into Ly-aran and possibly Ulor itself?

That's what I've been waiting for a long time, specially an U-Lyshak+Ulor+Ly-Aran module.

What's left after that to cover the whole continent? Plasidar/Urulan/Remiraith... maybe a "Jaimani elven lands sourcebook.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #379 on: April 19, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »

That might be the best way to go at this point. The Wuliris module is basically going to cover all of the northeast, including northern Zor. I hadn't planned on including the Dragonlord's citadel since it was in Jaiman, but maybe best to add it in. Then a SW module featuring Ly-aran and Ulor and Norek/U-lyshak. Then SE, with Jaiman/Meluria, Urulan, and all the old layouts of that region from Jaiman. Still, a small 'overview' book of the whole continent might be nice.

Maybe I should start a new thread just to discuss how to handle future products...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.