Author Topic: Spell builder for RM  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Emaughan

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell builder for RM
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:14:39 PM »
I little bit ago I got myself a PDF of Talislantia - a game with some great components, but overall is broken (IMHO).  One of the things that I loved was how PCs could build their own spells using logical and balanced rules.  I liked this so much that I then downloaded a game system - Karma - because I heard it also had a toolset that allowed spell creation.  Comparing the two I prefered Talislantia's but gleaned some new ideas from the Karma system.

Ok to the point.  HARP came close to giving us a tool to build spells from scratch, but not quite.  It only allows modification of existing spells.  I would love (and buy) any book for Rolemaster that included a point based spell creation system.  Much like CC offered a new way to handle armor, I think a point based spell creation system could offer an excellent alternative without breaking the RM system.  Any possibility of something like this coming down the line?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Spell builder for RM
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:37:27 AM »
I little bit ago I got myself a PDF of Talislantia - a game with some great components, but overall is broken (IMHO).  One of the things that I loved was how PCs could build their own spells using logical and balanced rules.  I liked this so much that I then downloaded a game system - Karma - because I heard it also had a toolset that allowed spell creation.  Comparing the two I prefered Talislantia's but gleaned some new ideas from the Karma system.

Ok to the point.  HARP came close to giving us a tool to build spells from scratch, but not quite.

Er, I built all the spells in College of Magics as well as all the spells in the Something Wicked and Construct Toolkit using the spell creation system in College of Magics. I would claim that is building spells from scratch. The rules are there for players to have their characters research new spells as well.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Emaughan

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell builder for RM
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
That is good to know - I have only purchased HARP, but none of the supplements.  I'll need to look into getting College of Magics.  With that said I still would like to see a system for RM - I like HARP but love RM. 

Side note - thanks for all that you have contributed to the game over the years, mega Kudos!