Author Topic: Arcane RR  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Arcane RR
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 09:35:42 PM »
Well, apparently that was the rule, and I was wrong. . .I'd pretty much definitely house rule off that to averaging, but that's just my preference, as I'd expect Hybrid and Arcane to be harder to resist, if anything.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »
Which is one improvement for us in RMSS over RM# - no averaging of anything, just addition.  Ironically it also means that elves have the highest arcane power point rank amount yet, along with high men, are the most susceptible to arcane with a -15 RR mod.

Just noticed the oddity though that hybrids are indeed potentially more difficult to resist - while hybrid casters do have three prime stats, it would seem the two realm stats and SD, you only get to use two of them when resisting.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »
I don't mind the averaging, but I think the non-averaging addition method of RMSS/HARP is better, in that it makes the game more accessable to new players. The old salts tend to average by rote without worry, but it does make the game mechanisms a bit less friendly to new people.

Switching from adding three stats to divide by three, vs adding three stats, works as the stat modifiers are roughly 1/3 of the RM2 version. . . .

To carry the logic out properly, should have been:

Stat x 3 + Racial RR mod x 3

So that arcane could be

All three stats + all three racial mods

And that math/method would work out

The racial stat mods were reduced in proportion to the stat bonus table drop from RM2 to RMSS, while the RR bonuses were not.

The RR Bonuses are thus a bit out of scale/methodology with the rest, leading to a hard skew in the racial RR bonus' affect on probabilities for hybrid and arcane, while leaving them identical for one-realm.

Since the racial mods in RMFRP Core look to be direct ports from RM2 character law, I suspect that's an "Oops" of unintended consequences, perhaps even something overlooked. I wasn't there, I won't claim to have any direct knowledge, but it looks unintentional, since in almost every other transfer over of the logic they tried to stick close to the RM2 probabilities with just easier methods for RMSS.

Shrug, with systems this detailed, there were bound to be a few points where things shifted, intentionally or not.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com