Author Topic: Equipment lists  (Read 2872 times)

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Equipment lists
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:17:41 AM »
Hi.
I?m looking for some fan based or other publically available equipment lists.
I play SpaceMaster2 and thus I?m after something for that specifically, or something that is compatible with SM2.

I have some SM:P material as well, but have not read much of it. How does SM:P equipment compare to SM2 equipment? I know tech level plays an important role in SM:P (from this forum), so I guess a tech level must be set before converting equipment with prices, weights and other stats to SM2.
Is there an official SM:P tech level set for the SM2 stuff, or failing that is there a general opinion about this?

Thanks,
-Terry

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Equipment lists
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »
I do not know of a free equipment list but there is a RM product ...and a 10'' pole that covers many historical eras from stone age to future age. My copy is out right now so I can not give you more info than that.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:35:30 AM »
I suppose this one is for Defendi if you drop by: (or for anyone else that feel they know the answer ;)):
Would it be correct to put he SM2 system and setting at about Tech Level 26 in the SM:P system?

Marc, do you know if there is any sort of compatibility between '? and a 10 foot pole' and SM2 as far as tech and prices go (if I could only be that lucky?)?

-Terry

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:22:21 AM »
TerryTee,
 In Blaster Law it says that the SM2 setting is beginning 26 for hand weapons. But I do not remember seeing an article on just what tech levels the SM2 universe was at.
 You see in SM:P there is a series of charts that represent various civilization factors. Government type, energy level, starship tech level etc. You the Gm can sit down and try and relate your universe to the charts and have some set numbers for the game. If I remember right you also have some Traveler stuff and the SM:P stuff is close to what they did there.
 Yes the stuff in compatible with SM2 but all that is in the book are lists of things, services and equipment at various tech levels. The Tech levels are also very generic. So one tech level will be modern and the next might be beginning star travel stage. I just can not find my copy right now so I either lent it out or I have lost it so I can not tell you just how many era's it covers. hopefully someone else can answer you questions.
 Also it is very important to note that it give no descriptions of the objects in the book. So it might say heavy rifle with ammo amount and the price in tech levels modern, beginning space flight and far future. The ammo might/will go up for the gun but the only other thing that might change in the price and maybe weight.
 The prices are in US dollars so all you need is a conversion for USD to SM2 credits and you are set.

BTW, There is a document of SM races for SM:P that I will try and find and see if it has any info about the Tech Level of the SM2 universe besides what I remember above.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
Thanks for you input marc:-)

I?ve dug out the SM:P I have, and it turns out I do have the Equipment manual. It offers a little more then what is in the SM2 Tech Book, but not a whole lot. A nice addition.
As it turns out, the prices in SM2 and SM:P is very compatible, since the SM:P prices are based on the SM2 prices. However, converting it from a SM:P Tech level back to SM2 makes the prices quite different? For example, almost all SM:P medical equipment is ten times as expensive and ten times as heavy as the same pieces in SM2. If I then simply move 1 Tech Level up, the SM:P prices and weights would be identical to SM2. However, the SM:P equipment is spread out over Tech Level 17-21, making this ?conversion? non-consistent. This is of course fine, since we are talking about to different games.
Other equipment show similar patterns, equipment. For shields the SM:P prices and weights are consistently 10 times that of SM2, suggesting that SM2 is set to Tech Level 22 for shield technology.

Looking through the SM:P equipment manual, I think it seems like the SM2 universe being about Tech Level 25. It may be that 26 is right for hand held waponss as you say marc. For telecom  I?d set it at 23, for data and storage at about 19 (but the SM2 equipment probably should be beefed up to a higher lever for the sake of consistency).
For Energy I?d place SM2 at about 23 I guess and for Law Enforcement maybe 18. Naturally, these levels will vary cross the empire.

That was my 2c on SM:P to SM2 equipment conversion?

-Terry