Author Topic: What's you image of the Cleric?  (Read 2847 times)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What's you image of the Cleric?
« on: April 17, 2008, 07:24:52 PM »
The Rolemaster Classic Cleric is a bit different than the "classic" D&D Cleric in many ways.  Which is fine 'cause I always thought the lack "holy warrior" version of the cleric with the addition of the Paladin to be a bit redundant.  So, as it stands in the core system, how do you view the Cleric in Rolemaster?  What does he look like?  How does he approach life?  How is he dressed?  I realize a lot of this depends on the individual world...which is why I ask.  What is your view of the Rolemaster Cleric and now does it differ from the "classic" view of the Cleric?
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Re: What's you image of the Cleric?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:51:55 PM »
My take on it is, that the Cleric is the Voice of a temple while the Paladin is the armed fist. The cleric is more in tune with ceremonies and active convertions than the paladin, who should let his actions speak louder than his words. The cleric is the expert and the one closer to the heart and mind of the faith. He can be travelling the road seeking enlightenment in the way of his faith or active practising it and spreading it.
In the road (depending on his faith) the Cleric shows his faith openly, marking himself clearly as a member and hand of his god. This would usually be done through clothing and vestments. My image of the cleric is one in robes, if not in leather armor for protection.
I admit my take is also biosed by Adad but also of the ways priests and holiman of earth dress up.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:44:57 AM »
The preacher, the holy man, the priest, the mad cultist... these are basically my images of the cleric in RM. A man dressed in robes and sacred (or unholy!) garments, putting his faith above anything else... 
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:23:57 AM »
The cleric is a scholar with a firm grasp of Theology, public speaking, and administration.  His job is to do one of two things:

1)  Minister to the needs of the faithful. OR

2)  Be vigilant against the forces of their enemies.

I removed the "transferring ways" list from the healer class and moved "lifegiving ways" over to the healer class.  (That still gives the healer a power the lay healer doesn't have).  With the cleric now only having 5 base lists, the sixth base list is chosen in accordance with the deity's spheres of influence.

The Holy Warrior is a fighter with a deep and abiding faith in a specific deity.  Their job is to either:

1)  Guard temples and sacred sites of the faith. OR

2)  Act as a kind of Divine bounty hunter, tracking down those people who have been identified as "enemies of the faith".

(As stated in the first post of this thread, all of this is IMHO only)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »
I'm suessing you made all the healer lists work as touch, rather than self?

I dunno, the cleric as is often gets modified into priests of various sorts with a tweak here and a tweak there.

As is, they almost always end up base + Healing closed then a smattering of other stuff at higher levels. . .their core lists seem to imply: Warrior of the light, who kicks demonic and undead arse for the lord. Discriminating area attack spells like holy shout are crazy. . .it's like a bomb that only effects opponants. . .nice when in that temple with the horde of angry cultists about to mob/overrun the party.

Basicly, I find them great roleplaying characters, who are on the weak side in most endevors acting as the healer, except when the opponant are cultists, demons, undead or anything else in the "Evil" / "Of darkness" category, then they step up and do their thang. . .and do it well.

I recall a mild mannered 15th level cleric, usually back of the party stepping up when the mission turned out to be all about undead. At the meal break, someone said "You eat your wheaties this morning or something?" and the player of the cleric replied "Undead blasting is my business, and business is good.". You turn a cleric out against foes succeptable to all their anti-enemy spells, and they are one of the most potent professions.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 08:17:26 AM »
I'm guessing you made all the healer lists work as touch, rather than self?

Yup.  Because I've got it like that.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"