Author Topic: Realm of Mentalism  (Read 2461 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Realm of Mentalism
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »
In trying to explain the realm of Mentalism to a friend this morning, I realized that I really don't have a firm grasp of the topic.  I reread SL Classic, and this just muddied the waters more.  Anyone care to throw me a rope so I can get out of the quicksand?

SL States that Mentalism users manipulate the local flows of essence by force of will and the strength of their personality.  It also states that Essence users basically do the same thing by "Filtering the essence flows through their auras" (Whatever that means). ::)

Psionics from SpaceMaster (RMFRP) reads as follows:
Psychic powers, unlike the realms listed for magic in
Rolemaster, are generated entirely by the strange and
little understood forces of the mind. While the realms of
magic get the power from essence, the psychic creates
this energy within his mind itself.

So, Mentalism isn't the same as essence magic, and it isn't the same thing as Psionics.  ???

And a double  ???  ??? for this question:  How do Hybrid Essence/Mentalism users filter essence through their auras and their minds at the same time?
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Realm of Mentalism
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:44:19 AM »
Essence magic, a caster attunes their whole aura to their environment (empathy) and draws in essemce power from a standing field to cast spells. hence no armor. Effects tend to be very powerful, but direct and unsubtle.

Psionics are powered by mental power of your self, which likely means food in some ultimate progression of source. (i.e. you use it and it makes you tired and hungry, like climbing a ladder or walking.). The effects tend to be far weaker, since you self power them (in terms of actual psions compared to spells.)

Mentalism casters use their force of will to draw essece power from a standing field via their aura, but specifically via their head. (hence no helmets). They have less powerfull but more focused and subtle effects. (in terms of spell lists).

Hybrids must abide by the restrictions of both realms, so no armor or helmet. . .the me/es hybrid is full body aura linking and also drawing via their will/mind for their hybrid base lists, then combining, weaving or mixing the power to cast the spells.

essentially, where with a psion, the user is doing ALL the work, with a spell the user is working to use and shape an ambiant force that does the work. . .Magic in this instance is sort of like using a lever to do something, less direct effort, more end result than trying to do the same job by hand without the lever.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 11:49:45 AM »
I knew someone would have the perfect answer.  Thanks. :idea:
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 06:21:29 AM »
Actually I think it is questionable if mentalism really is less powerful than the others...quite many mentalism spells are superior to what is found in other realms.

A more useful description is probably that mentalism is a realm that easily target yourself or a single target, but have great difficulties to be used towards other groups.

Essence is built around the concept of area spells and many targets, this means bolts and lots of target-anyone spells. The downside is large restrictions on armor and worn items.

Channeling is built around the concept of healing, blessings and affecting limited groups like plants, undead and so on. The downside is restrictions on armor, but not so much as essence.
/Pa Staav

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »
I said powerful, but perhaps a better word is "Energetic".

Essence often uses brute force to get results, while mentalism seems to use targeted force to get results. Mentalism results can be powerful, but they seem to all use lower levels of force to get their goals done.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com