Author Topic: Which were the best Companions?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Which were the best Companions?
« on: April 08, 2008, 08:29:24 PM »
In your opinion, which Companions did you find the most useful and worth the money?
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline lev_lafayette

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Which were the best Companions?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 10:06:03 PM »
Mine  ;D
RPG Review. Free 'zine. Worth reading.
My livejournal.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:43:43 AM »
Hands down #1-3.
The others are nice too but not as useful.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 03:36:31 AM »
The first two for sure, while from there it does sort of down hill as the number increases. Each one of them adds something in itself, but mostly for inspirational purposes.

I would still get everyone of them (including the unnumbered), just for safe keeping and inspiration. Personally I dont have Alchemy Companion yet, but I dont see a need for it either as of yet.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:48:45 AM »
Companion I-II were nice due to their additional professions (Paladin, Druid, Warrior Mage, Beastmaster etc.) and some of their optional rules (e.g. Arcane Magic, Similiar Skills (although unwieldly), extended Level Bonus rules). Further Companions IMO added less and less additional value. And all of the Companions had a tendency to add more complexity to the game with their new optional rules.

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 07:51:58 AM »
If I had to pick only one,  I would say Companion I.  The new races, professions, background options, and monsters are definitely worth the price of admission.  Now, if Dr. Nick can just get permission to reprint it.....
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 07:58:44 AM »
If I had to pick only one,  I would say Companion I.  The new races, professions, background options, and monsters are definitely worth the price of admission.  Now, if Dr. Nick can just get permission to reprint it.....

We have those permissions - I'm waiting on Andrew/ictus completing the layout on it, then ICE, Mark Colborn, and I sign the tripartite contract and it goes on sale as fast as I can upload it onto the ecommerce sites.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 08:00:30 AM »
1 and 2 were great, 3 was useful, while the rest just took up shelf space/had VERY limited utility for me.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Pit Ote

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 08:05:30 AM »
I have found useful things and use rules of every companion but without any doubt the winners are RoCoI-II
.....unbalanced ......overpowered ......chaotic ......

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »
I've been in the process of rebuying the Companions off of ebay and here's a bit of advice for anyone buying any RM supplements off of ebay - be PATIENT.   It varies so much, set your maximum bid and stick to it.  Set up email notification to notify you of new listings.    Last week a Companion I sold for >$50, I bought one yesterday for $10, while at the same time RMC VII sold for $40.   

I agree Companions I and II were the best ones, III was good too.   However, there really is some fantastic rules, or at least seeds of ideas of rules in all the rest of the Companions.   You can tell many aren't fully fledged out, or playtested much and in some cases may just have been a off the cuff idea they put in as filler.   But there really are some great ideas, good inspiration if you are looking for ways to change things in your own game.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 11:45:42 AM »
I've been in the process of rebuying the Companions off of ebay and here's a bit of advice for anyone buying any RM supplements off of ebay - be PATIENT.   It varies so much, set your maximum bid and stick to it.  Set up email notification to notify you of new listings.    Last week a Companion I sold for >$50, I bought one yesterday for $10, while at the same time RMC VII sold for $40.  

I got lucky this past week.  I was able to snag RMC II for $15 and RMC III, IV, and the Alchemy Companion for $50 (all including shipping).  ;)
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 01:11:54 PM »
Will you hate me if I tell you RMC VII is perhaps my favourite? It's not the rules, it's the Elementalist! I just can't like any RM2 profession more than that! And the Witch Hunter was nice too. After that RMC III, again por all the professions, and the high stat abilities.
Of course, I know that without RMC I Backgrounds and RMC II Skill Categories my game wouldn't be what it is today.

Offline Der Graumantel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 03:00:32 PM »
I always loved Companion 6 for its easy and useful combat rules, like the armor combination rules and the crit by size rules. Another thing, that I found useful in there is the renaissance professions, for they fit into the more developed Shadow World societies.
Oh and of course the nice article on RM and Shadow World with the Elor/Lorgalis conversation.
Just love that book.

But I don?t use it anymore, because I play RMFRP these days... :P

ben
GM does not stand for Gentleman

Offline Bazooka Bob

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 03:10:44 PM »
Most definitely 1 and 2.  There were select articles/ideas in the rest of them that were good but IMO overall they were okay.

There's no problem that can't be handled through the proper use of high explosives.

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »
Companion I, really .
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »
I'm with the majority here; when I go to my games(GM), I bring 1-3 with me, I only keep a few photocopied pages from 4 with me. Didn't even buy 5-7; I read them as i was preparing to GM from my original GM's collection, and saw I had nothign to use from them.
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »
Mine  ;D

No Mine :) lol
beat me to the same answer...

In terms of content used --

II, I, III, IV, VII, VI, V
or
II, I, III, IV, EC, SUC, VII, VI, AC, V
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:25:14 PM by Old Man, Reason: rethought use of II vs I »
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 11:32:52 AM »
For me, the most used companion is without a doubt Companion II, followed by Spell Users Companion (The Psion and prosaic-magic) and Background and Stat bonusses from Comp 1.
However I use a lot of things from the other companinons with the possible exception of Comp VI, which is the companion that I almost never use. :)

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline DonMoody

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »
I think Tonto andr Dr. Watson "were the best companions" (I view Kato and Robin more as sidekicks than companions).

DonMoody

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
I think Tonto andr Dr. Watson "were the best companions" (I view Kato and Robin more as sidekicks than companions).

DonMoody

That was really bad.  Good thing that's my kind of humor.  Well played!!  LP on you!!!
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain