Author Topic: Newbie question about learning spell llists  (Read 2507 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Newbie question about learning spell llists
« on: April 06, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
So lets say during apprentice development, I buy 5 ranks in a particular spell list.
I roll D100+25+any optional bonuses, roll over 100 and get.. what ?

How is it figured how many spells from the list I receive ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but perusing Spell law didnt help me much, and this is quite different from how it works in RMFRP and HARP.

Also, as a general rule, during character creation, how many DP should a caster reasonably put into spell lists ? You are limited to spells no higher than your own level, correct ?

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Newbie question about learning spell llists
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 06:13:19 PM »
See also this discussion:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=6061.0
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »
So lets say during apprentice development, I buy 5 ranks in a particular spell list.
I roll D100+25+any optional bonuses, roll over 100 and get.. what ?

How is it figured how many spells from the list I receive ?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but perusing Spell law didnt help me much, and this is quite different from how it works in RMFRP and HARP.

Refer to the table on page 21 of RMC Spell Law.  Those letter codes also tell you how many spells are gained in a  "pick" (i.e. what you learn when you roll for a list). Then refer to the section called "The Learnable Portions" on the same page.

When you purchase ranks in a spell, you are purchasing ranks in a pick or portion of a list. If you succeed, then you learn that entire pick/portion.

As you can see from the table, all spell users learn their base lists in 3 basic picks/portions -- B (1-20), D (11-20), and E (25, 30, or 50, one each, learned in order).

Open and Closed lists have other limits.

Also, as a general rule, during character creation, how many DP should a caster reasonably put into spell lists ? You are limited to spells no higher than your own level, correct ?

According to the core rules, you can learn spells higher than your level, you just cannot cast them until you are the same level as the spell.

As for how many DPs are reasonable, that depends entirely on the optional rules that are in play. If you are not using any options, then about half is good. If you are are using the stat bonus option for the spell gain roll, you can get away less points easily.

If you are using Option 10.2 (much like the RMFRP rules, but does not allow outside the standard picks) then spending anywhere from 15 to 30 points is good (for a semi, 12-15 is good).

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 07:02:48 PM »
I see. I think I just needed it explained in a different way. Thank you!

This chart also seems to indicate that, say, a fighter wont be able to get spells over level 5, correct ?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »
Correct, a Fighter can learn spells (levels 1-5) in Open lists only (and only in 1 realm).

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:36:06 AM »
Awesome. I get it now :)

I will have to sit down and closely read Spell Law to really comprehend it. Its almost harder to come to this from RMFRP, since things are similar but still different in a lot of small ways

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 07:59:06 PM »
You need to use the expanded or complete spell availability options on P23-24 to get spells over the limits imposed in the core. . .is very expensive for a fighter though.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com