Author Topic: Stalk & Hiding ... which stats to use???  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Dirz

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stalk & Hiding ... which stats to use???
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »
Today I was about to start playing at RMC with my friends, whe a question arouse:
"Which stats shall I use for Stalk&Hiding"?

I immediately said:
Stalk -> AG
Hiding -> AG/SD

but a friend of mine said:
at page 57 of CHL, is stated:
Stalk -> AG/SD
Hiding -> SD

and another one:
at page 82 of CHL, is stated:
Stalk -> AG
Hiding -> SD

and now I ask you ... who is right?

Thank you all

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Stalk & Hiding ... which stats to use???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:02:11 PM »
Honestly I always did them the opposite of  what you thought at first. Hide SD, since it is about not moving at all and remaining perfectly still. You could argue something like RE or In for knowing the best spots to choose to hide in. for Stalk I always went Ag/Sd, agility cause you are moving and Sd cause your trying to move slowly and keep your balance and weight evenly distributed.

As for the book rules I would be more inclined to think page 57 is right but don't know for sure.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 11:09:34 PM »
I concur, I would use the chart on page 57.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:22:03 AM »
Personally I'd use AG/SD for both to keep it simple. It may not be a 100% perfect but it's easy to use.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:13:48 AM »
We have always used what is said in Companion II, which is AG for stalk and SD for Hide, which is the same as page 39 in the old Character Law.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:21:23 AM »
For simplistic view... AG for Stalk and SD for Hide.

But it is a complex issue. (It's Rolemaster after all!)

These are the MAIN contributing factors in the success of the skill.. RMSS/RMFP withthe 3 stat combo allows a little more leeway with regard to the bias that a Stat has upon the effectiveness of an attempt (many systems do not specify a stat but use the most appropriate for the situation. Because of the relative complexity of applying the bonuses, it's not so easy with RM).

Intuition/Reasoning should figure highly in both... where to hide/step?, however situational modifications mostly cater for these..

This reminds me of the Monty Python sketch...

H.M. GOVERNMENT, PUBLIC SERVICE FILM NO. 42 "HOW NOT TO BE SEEN"

(Cut to a wide-angle shot of hedgerows, fields and trees.)

Voice Over (JC): In this picture there are forty-seven people. None of them can be seen. In this film we hope to show you how not to be seen.

This is Mr. E.R. Bradshaw of Napier Court, Black Lion Road London SE14. He cannot be seen. Now, I am going to ask him to stand up. Mr. Bradshaw, will you stand up please?

(In the distance Mr Bradshaw stands up. There is a loud gunshot as Mr Bradshaw is shot in the stomach. He crumples to the ground.)

This demonstrates the value of not being seen.

(Cut to another location - more shrubs and trees.)

In this picture we cannot see Mrs. B.J. Smegma of 13, The Crescent, Belmont. Mrs. Smegma, will you stand up please?

(To the left of the area Mrs Smegma stands up. A gunshot rings out, and Mrs. Smegma leaps into the air and falls to the ground dead. Cut to another area, however this time there is a bush in the middle.)

This is Mr Nesbitt of Harlow New Town. Mr Nesbitt would you stand up please?

(longish pause)

Mr Nesbitt has learned the first lesson of not being seen. Not to stand up. However he has chosen a very obvious piece of cover.

(The bush explodes. Cut to another scene with three bushes.)

Voice Over: Mr. E.W. Lambert of Homeleigh, The Burrows, Oswestly, has presented us with a poser. We do not know which bush he is behind. But we can soon find out.

(The left-hand bush explodes, then the right-hand bush explodes, and then the middle bush explodes. There is a muffled scream as Mr. Lambert is blown to bits.)

Yes, it was the middle one.

(Cut to a panning shot across a river in the woods.)

Mr. and Mrs. Watson of Hull chose a very cunning way of not being seen. When we called at their house, we found that they had gone away on two weeks' holiday. However, a neighbor told us where there were.

(The camera pans around and stops on a obvious looking tent, which blows up. Cut to a house with a gumby [MP] standing out front.)

And here is the neighbor who told us where they were...

(He blows up, leaving boots and dark red smoke behind... Cut to a shack in the desert.)

And here is where he lived ...

(shack blows up - cut to an old stock footage building, entirely washed-out in red)

And this is where he was born...

(it blows up fantastically, debris sliding down)

(Cut to a small bit of forest. A man in a dinner jacket, a very straight BBC-type announcer complete with desk and microphone, is laughing hysterically in the distance. The camera zooms in on the announcer. Not seeing, he keeps laughing. Then he spots the camera, does a quick double take, and hurriedly collects himself.)

Announcer: And now for something completely different.

(He explodes. Drum roll...)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 07:34:40 AM »
Total classic sir.

By the way Mr. Barritt, do you know Justin Thyme?

;)

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 08:43:55 AM »
Today I was about to start playing at RMC with my friends, whe a question arouse:
"Which stats shall I use for Stalk&Hiding"?

I immediately said:
Stalk -> AG
Hiding -> AG/SD

but a friend of mine said:
at page 57 of CHL, is stated:
Stalk -> AG/SD
Hiding -> SD

and another one:
at page 82 of CHL, is stated:
Stalk -> AG
Hiding -> SD

The Table on page 57 of RMC Character Law is correct. The note on page 82 is incorrect.

During the process of reworking the RM2 core books, the decision was made to go with the "Optional Stats" as the core for RMC (instead of the single stat per skill that was core in RM2 for Primary skills).

Updating the notes under the skills was, in this instance, missed.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »
That's an irritating one, I actually prefer table on page 57, and it matches the "Optional" stat column in RM2 CL but I'd always assumed page 82 was correct. . .that's the way we did the Stongar example in the front of the book, with only AG to one and only SD to the other.

Sorry.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com