Author Topic: Stalking for an Elf (and Half Elf)  (Read 8515 times)

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Stalking for an Elf (and Half Elf)
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 03:07:45 PM »
I agree i don't think a XP or DP penalty would be the best solution. I have to believe there is a better way to handle it.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Pit Ote

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
Demand Hiding rolls for elves before Stalking that represents the ability of elves to hide their aura and go unnoticed. Or demand the rolls for all the races, after all, Hide and Stalk are the same skill.

...Let's consider a wood elf (the best one for hiding, in my opinion):

The best one for hiding in Woods or in everywhere? If the first then it is a enveroinment factor, the bonus to Hiding could be linked to another skill or learning. Dwarves, orcs, subterranean races can be good fighting in caves but they don't recive an innate bonus in battle axe. OTOH, I think it's being taken for granted that an agile person has to be a good-stalking/hiding one.

And I admit, my elves also sleep, how could they deprive themselves of the pleasure of a good nap?  :D

Bye, good day to everybody
.....unbalanced ......overpowered ......chaotic ......

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 04:51:06 PM »
I agree i don't think a XP or DP penalty would be the best solution. I have to believe there is a better way to handle it.

But we do have this DP penalty:
If we just give DP based on total boni, elves (and half elves) would suffer from the -20 SD.
(This is even an option in RMC - option 11.1).
For skill stats change that penalty to '0'.

I would give it a try.
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 07:26:17 PM »
Yeah i meant not a per level DP penalty. Like the XP would be. A one time charge and/or a flaw at creation is what I think would work best.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2008, 03:48:29 AM »
Yeah i meant not a per level DP penalty. Like the XP would be. A one time charge and/or a flaw at creation is what I think would work best.

If you use TP's (I insist on thier use..) then the SD bonus (or penalty) does come into play by modifying the time taken to complete them. This pre-game expenditure, for an immortal, is not really that significant, HOWEVER, applying the penalty to the expenditure of DP when levelling up or gaining new TP does.

That does involve some thought into application of the SD penalty. Some systems have a training time before aquisition of NEW skills, and this is what I think may be the answer. Perhaps not training time for exisiting individual skills but an increase in the acquistion cost of purchasing NEW skills that are either long duration skills (like research) or skills that are dependant upon the SD stat. Increase the inital purchase cost of these by 20% and reduce the stat penalty to compensate. This way the penalty is a one time affair and doesn't impact upon the overall XP/DP earnt.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 09:16:56 AM »
The RLO mechanic pushes you up the level chart in exchange for racial abilities, so you hit the increases faster. . .so essentially an elf is given a slight slow down in the rate at which they can level up, while a Cloud Giant is way up the table due to their racial abilities.

That rule doesn't make a lot of common sense, it's a purely mechanical means to balance races, but it works in that sense.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2008, 06:01:19 PM »
Increase the inital purchase cost of these by 20% and reduce the stat penalty to compensate.

This is a good idea (+1).
It solves a problem (of my variant development system), I don't know I have.

This make my day even better: I bought some used RPG Books very cheap
(among other things: HARP Monsters: AfG).
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com