Author Topic: NE Jaiman  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Arigon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
NE Jaiman
« on: December 03, 2021, 03:52:54 AM »
Hello,
A sad topic for me. Jaiman is my favorite continent. Emer is great, but for some reason, Jaiman really is it for me. Since our beloved author has passed away, I am sure that any plans for the NE Jaiman book are put off to say the least.

Is there a collection of information somewhere that we can look at in the interim that discusses the Tanarians? The societies/countries that existed between the Althans and predate the Second Era have been a source of fascination for me. Originally there was really nothing to even really hint that there were three high technology peoples that rose and fell during the Interregnum.

Now with the situation being what it is, I wonder if anyone has any sources of information that TKA was playing around with including?
Thanks in advance

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: NE Jaiman
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 10:45:21 AM »
I guess you mean the Taranians ? There is some info in the Master Atlas, but it has nothing to do with Jaiman specifically (Tanara is definitely *not* the home of the Taranians :))

There are a number of pre-historical civilisations (pre-historical being use it the sense of "before recorded history" if we admit that recorded history starts with the Second Age, which it obviously doesn't...) : Earthwardens, Jinteni (you get some info in Emer III), Wôrim, and there are mentions of others with not much information in the MA timeline (notably elven realms). Taranians are an oddity in that, as far as I can remember, they are not Kultheans (same as the Aldari much later).

Offline Arigon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 12:08:57 AM »
Yes
If I recall, the Storm Wizard is the last survivor of that race that is actually detailed... There could be some genetic descendants I suppose.

I was hoping for some collected data.
Ah well. thanks much!

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 01:00:44 AM »
Yes
If I recall, the Storm Wizard is the last survivor of that race that is actually detailed... There could be some genetic descendants I suppose.

I was hoping for some collected data.
Ah well. thanks much!
Well, since the Aldari dominated much of Emer at one time, they necessarily mingled with the locals (at least the Laan). How much of that is genetic, and what is the chance of expression of those genes in an individual thousands of years after the last non-immortal Aldari is dead, are questions that are left unanswered.

Offline Arigon

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 09:16:54 AM »
So going back and re reading.
Aldaron and his people came from a colony ship from a long lost Althan world. This statement is in the 1998 timeline published by TKA.
There are numerous contradictions if you read through it all, particularly with his earlier and later works, but back to this.
Were they intended to be some form of genetically manipulated human stock by the Althans? Why come to the Althan homeworld? Were they perhaps non Althan-Althans? They were not immortal, but remember that in Space Master, the Althans self destruct on their 33rd birthday or something fairly ridiculous like that.
They had human appearance by all accounts. No extra digits. No cat slit eyes.  But are Althan half breeds or quarter breeds out of the question? I am not so sure now.

Anyhow, this has been good for me, as it made me go nearly blind pouring over all these books I have lol.
Peace

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 08:47:50 PM »
This is good stuff. Keep in mind that the Interregnum lasted for 100k years and included the Worim, Jinteni and Taranians at the least! Put that in perspective with our own historical timeline and technical development over 2000 years. Lots of gaps? Of course you could argue that magic stifles technology, OR Shadow World's unique inhibitions in chemical processes and Althan's orbital blockade could set things back? Hard to say. Maybe Terry's timeline was too inspired by Tolkien and should be ret-conned? Or, what does it matter? Players and their group are in the now/why.
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 09:00:33 PM »
So going back and re reading.
Aldaron and his people came from a colony ship from a long lost Althan world. This statement is in the 1998 timeline published by TKA.
There are numerous contradictions if you read through it all, particularly with his earlier and later works, but back to this.
Were they intended to be some form of genetically manipulated human stock by the Althans? Why come to the Althan homeworld? Were they perhaps non Althan-Althans? They were not immortal, but remember that in Space Master, the Althans self destruct on their 33rd birthday or something fairly ridiculous like that.
They had human appearance by all accounts. No extra digits. No cat slit eyes.  But are Althan half breeds or quarter breeds out of the question? I am not so sure now.

Anyhow, this has been good for me, as it made me go nearly blind pouring over all these books I have lol.
Peace
My impression is that that that the Altha were "seed stock" for the universe. The Ka'ta'viir were a unique sub stata of the Altha that were senstive to the Essaence? That might not have been completely addressed in Spacemaster, but it parallels Niven's Ringworld? This is all built out of late 70's and early 80's?
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 12:38:06 AM »
]My impression is that that that the Altha were "seed stock" for the universe. The Ka'ta'viir were a unique sub stata of the Altha that were senstive to the Essaence? That might not have been completely addressed in Spacemaster, but it parallels Niven's Ringworld? This is all built out of late 70's and early 80's?
I have not checked SM in a long time, but I think there was a number of hints that the Altha were the Sianetic Harbinger, the "seeder race" of the universe - which does not mean that they seeded it with their own genetic template, especially if you see what they did on Kulthea. The Kulthean timeline indicate that the Altha were a conquering race, so they might have found suitable genetic material somewhere and transplanted it on numerous planets to create slave races for colonisation (and cattle for the meat grinder of galactic warfare when needed). The K'Taa'Viiri were, once again from the Shadow World timeline, an Althan clan that had particular proficiency in Essaence manipulation, but since Essaence is singular to Kulthea, they must have had other advantages to rise to such prominence (wealth, psionic mastery, you name it).

And yes, Space Master is "heavily inspired" by the main sci-fi trends of the time. There is something timeless in the idea of a stellar "empire" with "noble houses" jousting for power with an established church as arbiter (and player at the same time) and a merchant's guild to round up the usual suspects, while aliens prowl the border and an "ancient race" still lurks in the dark of space. It's nothing original, even for sci-fi RPGs.