Author Topic: Warcom for Rolemaster War Law  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Warcom for Rolemaster War Law
« on: May 05, 2021, 12:05:35 AM »
The source code is now available at https://github.com/code-moth/Warcom with the permission of its' author, David Eubanks.

It needs an interface update to meet modern standards, but having the source code is at least the first step to enable that.  I'd like to try in slower time, but I am an amateur at coding.  Perhaps the gifted programmers amongst us might be interested in the meantime.

And I'll state a wish:  I would like to see ICE put more effort in to re-publishing the old products from RM2.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Warcom for Rolemaster War Law
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:46:57 AM »
Mostly ICE can't republish those older works, because they would need the authors to grant them the rights to do so. See https://ironcrown.co.uk/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11282.0 for details.

If you're in touch with David Eubanks, you might ask him to contact ICE about it. Although it looks like there were multiple authors for War Law, ICE would need all of their permissions to reprint it.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 08:52:33 AM »
Can I ask: what would the source-code on that website allow you to do, specifically?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:23:47 AM »
The source code would allow a programmer to update & modify the program.  One could create a new interface (GUI) & add new features - as well as fix any bugs that might already be present in the code of the program.

I've used War Com a couple of times & don't remember any glaring bugs.  I'm not sure if it works with Windows 10 or other modern OSs (I think it was a Windows only program, iirc), so updating the source to make it run on Win 10 would be a first step (i.e. making it a 64bit program).

I have copies of a whole rack of old DOS/Win3.1 SM2 programs (character sheet creators, vehicle creators etc…) that don't run too well in Win 10, but I've been using a Win 10 DOS emmulator in order to get them to work.  It's a work around for those who can't code (like me  ;) ).

Nightblade ->--

Offline Boromir

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
I have passed on the message to David Eubanks, and he intends to contact ICE.

Yes, the source code is the key to making a new version.  Note that there is an old executable version available from http://www.kilbot.org/Rolemaster/Tools/WARCOM/WARCOM_main.html but I cannot vouch for its safety.  The link I provided in the first post above is only useful to programmers at this point.

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 12:58:13 PM »
Random question: anyone identified which file in the github code contains main()? Glad to see WARCOM made available!

Offline The Chorned Jat

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 04:43:13 PM »
Random question: anyone identified which file in the github code contains main()? Glad to see WARCOM made available!
Found it in test.cpp