Author Topic: Recurve bows  (Read 904 times)

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Recurve bows
« on: April 26, 2021, 09:40:49 AM »
How would you manage recurve bows? AFAIK, RM2 doesn't have tables for them, though, amusingly enough, the "Arms Companion" includes them in its "bow pull" chart (but not in the "revisited bow ranges" chapter a few pages before).
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Recurve bows
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 10:27:55 AM »
I'm a huge fan of simplicity over specificity whenever possible. I'd just go with the long or short bow table, depending on what the base is. Or maybe composite. Or maybe just ask the player which they prefer and set the size of the weapon accordingly.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 11:18:53 AM »
I always used composite bow in RM2.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 12:07:28 PM »
That, and I meant reflex bows, not recurve. Well, you know, the mounted "inverted" bow thing. :p
I guess my problem with short/long bows and composite bows vs. reflex bows is that they are about how bows are made (one piece of wood vs. several materials) rather than how the bows work.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 03:03:41 PM »
That, and I meant reflex bows, not recurve. Well, you know, the mounted "inverted" bow thing. :p
I guess my problem with short/long bows and composite bows vs. reflex bows is that they are about how bows are made (one piece of wood vs. several materials) rather than how the bows work.

I usually use composite bow tables for recurve bows.