Author Topic: Ancestor Worship  (Read 771 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Ancestor Worship
« on: April 25, 2021, 10:52:15 AM »
Which channeling base lists would represent ancestor worship?  I'm asking because in Eberron the Valenar elves participate in ancestor worship.  In D&D 3.x (Faiths of Eberron)  it was easy to figure out clerical domains to represent ancestor worship.  I have the Channeling Companion in storage, so I can't easily reference that work.

I figure this question would apply to those who also want to include ancestor worship into their cultures who would have it.  So it's not just an Eberron question.

Offline Ginger McMurray

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Ancestor Worship
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 11:30:51 AM »
I'm way too lazy to look things up, but perhaps a list based around summoning spirits? You can always reflavor it to make the visuals match and keep the mechanics.

If I had to hazard a guess I say there are probably totemic / spirit lists for Shamen. Ancestors are basically totems at the most fundamental level: spirits to be revered.
No pre-written adventure survives contact with the GM.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 02:27:11 PM »
The Channeling Companion suggests Ceremonies, Communal Ways, Death Mastery, Divine Magic, Life Mastery, and Proselytizing.

It might matter what your ancestors were like. Are you from a lineage that was very close to nature? Or an ancient line of guardians against a dreaded foe? That could color your relationship with your ancestors and the kinds of power they grant. If you don't want to leave it too open, you could at least think about what the Valenar elves are like (I have no idea so I can't comment specifically). If you want some room, you could have a limited number of options, e.g. ancestors who are primarily concerned with martial glory and honor, those that are primarily concerned with protection and healing, and those who focus on the intangible realm of the spirits themselves.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 02:43:34 PM »
The Channeling Companion suggests Ceremonies, Communal Ways, Death Mastery, Divine Magic, Life Mastery, and Proselytizing.

It might matter what your ancestors were like. Are you from a lineage that was very close to nature? Or an ancient line of guardians against a dreaded foe? That could color your relationship with your ancestors and the kinds of power they grant. If you don't want to leave it too open, you could at least think about what the Valenar elves are like (I have no idea so I can't comment specifically). If you want some room, you could have a limited number of options, e.g. ancestors who are primarily concerned with martial glory and honor, those that are primarily concerned with protection and healing, and those who focus on the intangible realm of the spirits themselves.

The Valenar elves are a warlike race.  They are even as warlike as common orcs in RMFRP. 

Everything about Eberron is different.  You can easily adapt Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms to Rolemaster; but it takes some time to adapt Eberron.  Magical technology, different ways to think about the races.  Even different approaches to how Paladins work. A paladin of the  sovereign host have different doctrinal ideas than a paladin of the Silver Flame.