Author Topic: Getting started on Shadow World  (Read 1635 times)

Offline barbageek

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Getting started on Shadow World
« on: November 19, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »
After a long interruption, I'd like to restart a RM campaign. My previous campaign finished more than 20 years ago and took place in Middle Earth.
For this new one, after reading some online material and browsing this forum, I decided to go for Shadow World, even if my knowledge on the world is very low. So I bought the Atlas and the "Tales from the Gryphon Inn" supplement (which is very nice by the way) to get my group started in the world.
As we will create characters for the Gryphon Inn adventure I try to figure out the possible Races, culture and background for my players but it doesn't seem very obvious. Talking of background, the Gryphon Inn book mentions that some PC background are available after the adventures but I didn't find this part.
I'd appreciate some help and Shadow World lore to avoid proposing inconsistent choices to my group. Thanks for your input on the topic.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Getting started on Shadow World
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 12:16:53 PM »
Green Griffin is on the Outskirts of Haalkitaine Which has a lot of adventure and intrigue and some of the stories in Green Griffin refer back to this region multiple times. You could have the PC's as locals to Green Griffin or the Rural areas of Haalkitaine that are closer to Green Griffin.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 03:35:29 PM »
After a long interruption, I'd like to restart a RM campaign. My previous campaign finished more than 20 years ago and took place in Middle Earth.
For this new one, after reading some online material and browsing this forum, I decided to go for Shadow World, even if my knowledge on the world is very low. So I bought the Atlas and the "Tales from the Gryphon Inn" supplement (which is very nice by the way) to get my group started in the world.
As we will create characters for the Gryphon Inn adventure I try to figure out the possible Races, culture and background for my players but it doesn't seem very obvious. Talking of background, the Gryphon Inn book mentions that some PC background are available after the adventures but I didn't find this part.
I'd appreciate some help and Shadow World lore to avoid proposing inconsistent choices to my group. Thanks for your input on the topic.

Highly recommend you pick up the SW Players Guide!
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 04:20:53 PM »
Green Griffin is on the Outskirts of Haalkitaine Which has a lot of adventure and intrigue and some of the stories in Green Griffin refer back to this region multiple times. You could have the PC's as locals to Green Griffin or the Rural areas of Haalkitaine that are closer to Green Griffin.
Sorry I meant "Tales from the Gryphon Inn" not Green Griffin which is a different supplement.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 07:51:21 PM »
Ditto.

But, I also recommend you pick up ICE6010 Jaiman, Land of Twilight as that will have a lot of information about the region where The Green Griffon resides, including what races are local. It also has some really cool adventures in it, though they need to be fleshed out.

Something that I would love to see for this setting is a map dedicated to where all the people are. What I mean by that is you have the various continental maps with color overlays, each color representing a different people and some stripes, checks, and such because there are so many different cultures. I am sure I have seen something like this for another game, I just can't remember where.

Which atlas did you get? There are a few of them, at this point.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline barbageek

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 01:35:51 AM »
Ditto.But, I also recommend you pick up ICE6010 Jaiman, Land of Twilight as that will have a lot of information about the region where The Green Griffon resides, including what races are local. It also has some really cool adventures in it, though they need to be fleshed out. Something that I would love to see for this setting is a map dedicated to where all the people are. What I mean by that is you have the various continental maps with color overlays, each color representing a different people and some stripes, checks, and such because there are so many different cultures. I am sure I have seen something like this for another game, I just can't remember where.Which atlas did you get? There are a few of them, at this point.

Thanks everybody for your help. I'll buy Jaiman book and player guide next week (hoping for some black Friday sales  ;) ).
I'm using the 4th edition of the Atlas.

Last question. there are some reference to languages in the Atlas, but I din't find a list of these languages. Where can I find info on them ?

Offline barbageek

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 08:20:33 AM »
Forget about language question, I found the section in Atlas, Appendix B

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 08:57:52 AM »
If you are interested in homebrew, a poster on these forums (MisterK) did a very cool language map of Kulthea, with languages that are related connected by lines that show how many language ranks you would subtract for someone trying to speak them. You can find the map here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=17089.20
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 07:00:39 PM »
I'm using the 4th edition of the Atlas.
OK. On page 91 is the part on Jaiman, which is where you are located. The entries are listed like so (using Rhakhaan as the example):

G. Rhakhaan: [Cool Temperate - Cold/Seasonal] Laan/Jameri (Feudal Monarchy/Mixed economies/TL:6).

Letter denoting location on map
Name of region/nation
[Climate]
Primary Inhabitants
(Political Structures/Subsistence Patterns/Tech Level)

What these mean begin on page 79. They don't go into the different people in this location, that begins on back page 45.

Hope this helps.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.