Author Topic: The Elves and the Cordwainer (Oddly specific thing I learned)  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The Elves and the Cordwainer (Oddly specific thing I learned)
« on: December 25, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »
Many people know the fairy tale "The Elves and the Cobbler" or "The Elves and the Shoemaker". Given that the shoemaker is making new shoes, presumably from new leather, he would actually be a cordwainer according the the British guild system. While a Cobbler could make shoes, they could only do it from old leather cut from other repaired shoes as a cobbler's primary job was shoe repair. I also learned that cordwainer is considered archaic and we now use "cobbler" to refer to both.

I brought this up because I was thinking of what kind of craft skill a character whose father is a cobbler would have. Obviously, I have now found that this character should have Craft, Cordwaining, probably with a little Cobbling too.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The Elves and the Cordwainer (Oddly specific thing I learned)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 11:35:40 AM »
That is really awesome-fun facts!  Thank you.

You can add to the list, Leather Working, Wood Working (Carpentry?), Sewing, Tanning, Animal Skinning.  Hammer as a Weapon Skill is good too... if he finds himself out adventuring for whatever reason ;)

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 06:52:18 PM »
While the broader category of Leatherworking would cover it, I think being more specific is more appropriate. When given a skill that's potentially infinite, it can be as encompassing or as limited as desired.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 03:19:10 PM »
While the broader category of Leatherworking would cover it, I think being more specific is more appropriate. When given a skill that's potentially infinite, it can be as encompassing or as limited as desired.

You are 100% correct.  How granular is the gaming world going to be?  Does he work with select leathers from a tanner/supplier and work with only finished products allowing more DP to be spent on specific skills?  Is he more self-sufficient, cutting out a middle man and Trapping/Skinning/Tanning his own hides to ensure absolute quality control over the full product?

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
The dad or the PC?
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 06:48:46 AM »
Either one or both.  The father knows things he has or has not passed on to the PC so the PC may not have the full skill set of the father.  The PC learned some or all from the father then learned more on his own to further specialize or to add skills that the father did not have.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
The PC is a woman in this case, and a Warrior Mage. Random rolling of height and weight made her quite a bit shorter than average . . . It honestly took me a while to realize a player meant she was a little person when he called her a dwarf despite her race being human. That's how he imagined her, and that's fine with me.
#LotorAllura2024