Author Topic: Frequency of website outages  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Frequency of website outages
« on: June 03, 2019, 08:19:50 AM »
I'll try to come to the ICE forums, only for it to be down for a day or two, then up for a day or two, followed by another outage.

What's going on?
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Frequency of website outages
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:34:25 AM »
It seems to happen every once in a while. This latest time of troubles was unusually long.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »
not only the forums but the entire www.ironcrown.com was down

starting with "503 Service Unavailable" served from nginx
and later requiring HTTP-Basic authentication for login which did not work either
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »
It is somewhat ironic that at the moment the only thread I have a problem with is this one :o I had to get to the post from the original authors posts - clicking on it in the website and forum feedback board gives me the 500 error.
Oh well.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:29:11 PM »
just now the forums performance is rather alerting with page-loading times >2s and resources >5s.

Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:09 PM »
I've been seeing the 500 error off and on this evening. Website seemed to be down every time I checked it this weekend.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 09:31:47 AM »
While it does affect the whole website, I primarily use the website to come to the forums, thus the way I titled this topic.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 09:56:21 AM »
I'm also experiencing the random 500 error. Forum availability aside, if google bot keeps finding a broken site serp positioning will drop fast. I hope they'll find a solution soon.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 12:44:23 PM »
I also get it from time to time but, as we don't have any official answer as to why, I guess all we can do is try again later...

(Nicholas wrote that "(they) have been trying to work with (their) hosting provider to identify the root cause. Unfortunately, it is proving hard to do this as the dashboard controls on (their) side don’t give (them) the information (they) need to self-diagnose" so I'd deduce that they still don't know why.)
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 03:05:19 PM »
New server/hoster maybe.
It seems we are on Liberia server.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »
could be that a raspberry pi is now hosting the site ?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 12:59:16 PM »
I noticed that something on the page is taking a long time to load, even after the layout is done. I did some checks and the three worst elements are:

http://gator1849.hostgator.com/~thomice/ICEforums/Header/banner_forums3.png
which gets a 302 error

http://ironcrown.com/ICEforums/Themes/brfinale202/images/theme/frame_repeat.png
error 301, 404, or 500

http://www.ironcrown.com/favicon.ico
error 500

Errors 301/302 are about moved files. That suggests the images are not in the expected location and either the pages should be changed to reflect their location or the images should be copied to the specified location. I'm sure it's not the whole problem but it's wasting resources and I definitely find I get more 500 errors if I am loading a second page before the first one is done. So it might help.

Error 500 is a server error. Low memory, low disk space, other database issues, etc. Not sure what is weird about favicon.ico but might be worth a look.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 03:25:38 AM »
Error 500 is a server error. Low memory, low disk space, other database issues, etc. Not sure what is weird about favicon.ico but might be worth a look.

If favicon.ico isn't actually in that position but served by a php script the 500 error could be a consequence of something wrong happening in that code.

However favicon.ico returns a 200 state now, so problem is solved.

Offline blueFire

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »
I have not encountered this problem in awhile but I just happened when going to the forums (but not on the main webpage).  I copied the console output from the debug console when it happened.  Maybe this can give some information as to what is happening.

Console Output:

HTML1300: Navigation occurred.
ironcrown.com (1,1)

HTTP406: NONE ACCEPTABLE - No responses acceptable to the client were found.
GET - http://ironcrown.com/wp-content/plugins/catalog/spiderBox/spiderBox.js.php?delay=3000&allImagesQ=0&slideShowQ=0&darkBG=1&juriroot=http%3A%2F%2Fironcrown.com%2Fwp-content%2Fplugins%2Fcatalog&spiderShop=1&ver=4.9.10

2HTML1509: Unmatched end tag.
ironcrown.com (253,163)

JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.1

HTML1521: Unexpected "</body>" or end of file. All open elements should be closed before the end of the document.
ironcrown.com (525,1)

index.php (1,1)

HTML1524: Invalid HTML5 DOCTYPE. Consider using the interoperable form "<!DOCTYPE html>".
index.php (1,1)

SEC7115: :visited and :link styles can only differ by color. Some styles were not applied to :visited.
index.php (1,1)

index.php (1,1)

HTTP500: SERVER ERROR - The server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.
GET - http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?board=162.0

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
This is happening again, more and more since the past week, if not already known by your webmaster...

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 01:25:14 PM »
It has been happening over the last couple days for me too.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle