Author Topic: RMSS GM Screen?  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Bravesteel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Protect those who cannot protect themselves.
RMSS GM Screen?
« on: January 22, 2019, 11:46:41 AM »
Hello all,

I've mostly lurked for some time now, but my impatience for RMU has caused me to use some Amazon credit I didn't have earmarked for anything and bought the following RMSS books:

• Creatures & Monsters
  • Rolemaster Standard Rules
  • Gamemaster Law
  • Spell Law
  • Arms Law
  • Treasure Companion

I am a complete Rolemaster noob, besides reading through the RMU playtest, and I was wondering if there were any sort of RMSS GM Screen inserts available or even where I could get my hands on an official RMSS GM Screen?

I would also be interested in hearing about what other books I might need for RMSS?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: RMSS GM Screen?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
Those are all the books you need for RMSS. There are other books that add additional material, e.g. the Martial Arts Companion is great for martial arts and weapon styles, and there are the Mentalism, Essence, and Channeling Companions with spell lists and professions. But they are all optional. If some of the other books look like they would be fun to incorporate into your setting, check them out, but don't feel like they are required.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Bravesteel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 03:04:13 PM »
Those are all the books you need for RMSS. There are other books that add additional material, e.g. the Martial Arts Companion is great for martial arts and weapon styles, and there are the Mentalism, Essence, and Channeling Companions with spell lists and professions. But they are all optional. If some of the other books look like they would be fun to incorporate into your setting, check them out, but don't feel like they are required.

Thanks for the heads up, jdale, I'm looking forward to diving into them when they arrive.  Coming from a purely AD&D and D20 background, is there anything I should know or expect going in?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 07:59:35 PM »
The dynamics of combat are totally different. D20 is a grind, hit point attrition, a PC can manage risk. RM can turn against you with one bad roll (and especially with two). Every fight could kill you. Especially while the players are adjusting it would not hurt to give them a limited number of rerolls / fate points. (The version I like best is if the player expends one (e.g. to reroll a fatal critical against their character), the NPC receives it for their own use....)

RMSS has a more complicated character generation system than RMU. I think my spreadsheet for making characters is in the Vault on this site, or you can download it from my site: http://www.madreporite.com/rpg/rolemast.zip   Once you know the system it's not difficult to make a character (whereas with D20, I felt like I always needed to do an extensive research project cross-referencing feats and abilities across scores of books) but especially at first it feels like there are a lot of moving parts. If you're going to run a game for people who haven't played RM before, make some characters yourself so you know the system and can guide them through it. You can use them as important NPCs so the effort isn't wasted.

I would also suggest printing out or photocopying the relevant pages for each character. Their character sheet, but also each of their spell lists, maybe even the pages describing how their key skills work.

I have not personally used ERA but it's pretty nice to have software tracking combat and injuries. If you don't, also print/copy the attack tables for their weapons and critical charts. Some people like to assign a player to do those look-ups during combat to keep things moving faster for the GM. It probably makes sense to try this first by hand before using software, you'll get a better understanding of how it's actually working.

There's tons of other advice scattered throughout the forums. Feel free to bring any questions back here as they come up.

Offline Bravesteel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
Thanks for the advice, jdale.

I'll download your spreadsheet and give it a look as it might help me understand character creation. I don't think I'll use ERA as I work in IT and would rather keep the game analog if I can.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 11:11:08 AM »
I'd recommend "And a 10ft Pole".... it's for RMFRP... but as an equipment guide it's more or less perfect covering prices/availability for a multitude of genres.

Offline Bravesteel

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 05:46:21 PM »
I'd recommend "And a 10ft Pole".... it's for RMFRP... but as an equipment guide it's more or less perfect covering prices/availability for a multitude of genres.

I’ve been contemplating that book anyway so it is good to hear you recommend it.  Thanks!

Offline Mordenkainen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 05:48:29 AM »
Good set of books you picked up there.
I'm not sure if there was ever an RMSS screen, but there was an RMFRP one brought out around 2006. Possibly PDF only? In any case, it would be usable in your RMSS game.
I'm a big fan of the realm companions, such as Arcane and Mentalism, they will add a lot of flavor. But if you're new to the system, I guess you better get a handle on the core rules first! Just keep in mind if you ever find spellcasters a bit lacking that there's an extra dimension available in the companions.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »
Kind of pricey: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolemaster-GM-Screen-5502-Game-Aid/323491795511?hash=item4b519d1237:g:IBMAAOSwtvpa1Ekz:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEMASTER-COMBAT-SCREEN-EXC-1001-Game-Master-Gamemaster-Dungeon-Masters-D-D/191993615057?hash=item2cb3b612d1:g:j~kAAOSwLF1X~iTG:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Probably makes more sense to scan the charts you want and print your own....