Author Topic: Underwater Combat  (Read 1523 times)

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Underwater Combat
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »
Where can I find rules for underwater combat?  I imagine that there would be a bigger penalty for slashing weapons then for stabbing weapons like a spear or dagger.    What type of penalty for quickness bonus and trying to wear armor underwater.   I know RMSS under swimming lists the degree of difficulty for trying to swim with armor but does not give a penalty for combat.  That could be converted to a penalty from moving table but then would be the same across the board on all weapons.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Underwater Combat
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:31:14 AM »
T’was something we ended up houseruling but you are on the right track.

Swimming ended up being based on a kind of D&Dish Difficult Terrain converting to one 1/2 or even 1/4 of their movement that they “spent” on their turn.
This increased the Activity % the PC/NPC spent in a round and, thus, increased the penalty amount to do anything else in the same round.
For more crunch, we allowed someone to modify this with a 1% bump for every +1 Total ST mod they possessed.

So someone with a base speed of 50’ could wade into water at 1/2 of this speed as a total(up to 25’/rnd), but costing the same %(effectively double for what one is getting out of the movement.
Fully submerged was 1/4.
A +10 ST total bonus meant they could eke out 10% more total swimming speed(2.5’ from the above example).

We then just used a combat mod rule already in-game.
As with D&D for a base, Thrusting weapons weren’t penalized but Swinging weapons were(at -40 for RM’s ‘Full “Soft” Cover’, it was decided since water was technically in the way!).
Hope my quickie dirty rule helps you create your own until someone can point to canon rules, I am unaware of.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »
There were several relevant articles in the Guild Companion's theme issue on the sea. http://www.guildcompanion.com/scrolls/2000/sep/

The Underwater Survival article has modifiers for combat, Sea Spells has rules for magic use underwater, and then there are two priest base lists and two training packages each with training package spell lists all intended for in and under the water.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:17:46 PM »
RoCoVII had a section called Drowing Efficiency (Section 6.1; p. 25).  I've used that section for underwater situations in the past.  It might be what you're looking for.

Nightblade ->--