Author Topic: Adrenal Defense - how does it work  (Read 2111 times)

Offline JUNKdeLUXE

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Adrenal Defense - how does it work
« on: January 26, 2016, 07:28:12 AM »
So.. Adrenal Defense (among a few others) have been banned from our games the last 15-20 years and now we're trying to go back to basis. No house-rules, all core rules apply (even attack phases and exhaustion points, activity % etc).

In that regard I'm trying to figure out how it works. Under the other other Adrenal Moves, it's explained that you need to roll 101+ to activate it, but it doesn't say this for Adrenal Defense. Does that mean AD is working for all attacks (that I'm aware of) without rolling for it, using 20% activity etc?!?
Why procrastinate today when you can do it tomorrow?

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Adrenal Defense - how does it work
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 09:07:18 AM »
We have always used this a bit like carrying a shield. It just works as long as all the criteria are met i.e. you are aware of the attack and not over burdened with armour and weapons.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Elf-Mage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 09:15:04 AM »
It basically works like additional DB, except that it only works when you are aware that you are being attacked. It is reduced by 75% against ranged attacks, and doesn't work against magic. Also, you can only wear armour types 1, 2, or 3 and still use adrenal defence.
You know you've screwed up a summoning spell when you summon a Stingray on your enemies. It takes a deliberate act to summon a Humpback Whale on top of them.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:41:27 AM »
It is reduced by 75% against ranged attacks, (...)
50%

Also, you can only wear armour types 1, 2, or 3 and still use adrenal defence.
RoCo.IV has a rule and additional skills in order to use Adrenal defense whilst wearing an armour or large weapons.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 05:07:57 PM »
How much % activity does it take to use AD?
Can you cast a instant spell while doing it?
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 05:38:46 PM »
Like Peter, we just assumed it did not use any activity % at all. I'm not aware of any text that assigns it an activity cost. Peter's analogy with wearing a shield is a good one.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 07:00:50 PM »
In RM2 there were no activation costs, it just works against all attacks you are aware of, though reduced by 50% against ranged attacks.

You cannot wear armor, be encumbered, or use any weapon other than those used as part of a weapon kata.
That limits it to a skill used by martial artists.
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 02:23:18 PM »
Or Bashkars :)

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 07:32:54 AM »
Come to think of it I think the people who made professions for RCI may have forgotten the limitations of the skills as Barbarians and Burglars use that skill for defense too. Yet barbarians are always thought off as using two-handed weapons (Conan!) and while burglar do use smaller weapons they do not use MA …
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 10:41:46 AM »
Come to think of it I think the people who made professions for RCI may have forgotten the limitations of the skills as Barbarians and Burglars use that skill for defense too. Yet barbarians are always thought off as using two-handed weapons (Conan!) and while burglar do use smaller weapons they do not use MA …

barbarians in RM is more like a nature warrior. Not super a full on warrior type in my opinion. A low tech fighter/rural fighter.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »
barbarians in RM is more like a nature warrior. Not super a full on warrior type in my opinion. A low tech fighter/rural fighter.

Agree 100%!  I've always felt the RM Barbarian was like the Ranger without magic.  The Bashkar seemed more in line with the "Conan" type profession.
 Sorry... off-topic.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 05:51:46 PM »
You can think of Adrenal Defense in this way.  In that other game's third edition, there was a class feature called uncanny dodge.  Adrenal Defense worked like Uncanny Dodge.  Only you have to be wearing minimal to no armor for it to work.

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 05:27:29 AM »
Personally I have no problem with barbarians being allowed to do as a profession feature ^^ sword and sandal all the way!
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy