Author Topic: Spreading the Word  (Read 4047 times)

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spreading the Word
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:22:13 AM »
Here in the Denver area I am trying to get a few Game Stores to spread the word.  I even have one store that has said "if you bring in the people we can give you some space."  The issue is getting people to try it.  I know a group said they would be at Genghis Con here in Denver but they never materialized.

Any idea about how to help spread the word?

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spreading the Word
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:56:07 AM »
Hi there,

If the store is happy to display them we could give you some posters of flyers so that people who come into the store are aware that you're trying to set up a game. In addition, if you have a specific time and place in mind we can put a shout out on our social media channels.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
Hi there,

If the store is happy to display them we could give you some posters of flyers so that people who come into the store are aware that you're trying to set up a game. In addition, if you have a specific time and place in mind we can put a shout out on our social media channels.

Are the posters free for the asking, or do they cost money?  Are they graphics/PDFs we can print out at home or at a print shop?

Since I have moved back to an area in North Carolina where there are RPG shops (unlike in Albuquerque), the idea of asking if a poster can be displayed is nice.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:30:03 AM »
I'm curious about the details behind the posters as well. 

One of the RMU play-testers in the current group I'm GMing is one of the owners of the store that we have our sessions at, and the rest of the group are regulars in the store.  Not sure if they would be agreeable to it or not, since there isn't currently a way for such retailers to get a hold of larger quantities of ICE products, but if that changes in the near future then they might be willing to. 

And if so (if they could sell ICE products in-store) then I could plan to run pre-scheduled Demo's of RMU when it is close to release, as well as HARP and HARP-SF so that they could then sell those games.  Right now war games are the bulk of their business with CCG's being a close second, with RPG's and board games trailing far behind but still doing a modest amout of sales for them.  We frequently get people who stop and watch or listen and ask questions about the RMU play-test sessions. 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Colin-ICE

• ICE Business
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:08:53 AM »
In the past I've created posters/flyers for cons in the form of pdfs which can then be printed. However, with the rebirth of the Order of the Iron Crown I'm keen to help people spread the word in their local area.

In your opinions, what would you want from the poster? Would you want it to be a generic, look how brilliant ICE is, would you want it to be an advert for a specific game night/game? Let me know and I'll talk to the brains beneath the Iron Crown and see what we can pull together.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 07:04:30 AM »
What would be absolutely great is to have a PSD and/or AI file of the poster.  That way I could add text specifically for the store/place I would use it.

If in PDF,
In your opinions, what would you want from the poster? Would you want it to be a generic, look how brilliant ICE is, would you want it to be an advert for a specific game night/game? Let me know and I'll talk to the brains beneath the Iron Crown and see what we can pull together.
then how about one for each of the above?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
It would be nice to get info up in the local gaming shops, however I see one primary hurdle in that from the point of view of a store owner...

How do we resolve the issue of trying to get a game shop to promote something that they have no on-hand stock of and that is being sold on a PDF/Print on Demand model?

Even if someone is going to run an event and want to advertise that, how is it going to benefit the game store in terms of selling product?  Yes, I understand getting people to the store could very well result in sales of other products, but why should they give us time to run demos of a game they don't have vs give that time to someone running a game they do (D&D, Pathfinder, WarHammer, MTG, Board Games, etc)?

I would be more than happy to deliver promotional material to the few real shops left in the Seattle/Tacoma area, but what's going to be in it for them?
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:20 PM »
We're working on it.
When we get a little further with the concept we'll probably need to find some pilot stores to test with.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
Sorry, that came out a little like "What the 'F' are you thinking?" and that's not how I intended it.
It was more just a "How do we address this potential issue from the stores perspective?"
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »
We're working on it.
When we get a little further with the concept we'll probably need to find some pilot stores to test with.
Thom I know  you and I have already discussed this a little (as well as chatting with both Nicholas and Colin about it) and when something does get worked out, be sure to let me know as I've got at least one, possibly 2 or 3 stores local to Mid-eastern Michigan that would likely be interested. 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45:28 PM »
We will do that.

Cory - Don't worry about it - I did not take it that way. I took it as you highlighting that it is an issue that must be addressed in order to be successful in the store, and we haven't really talked much about our plans in that department, but I assure you that it is an issue we're trying to resolve, and when the solution is resolved, you can be assured that we'll be looking to really capitalize on it.  Thanks for the continued support.
Thom
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:42 PM »
There's actually an "AFK Elixirs and Eatery" bar/restaurant that opened up nearby (city called Renton) which apparently encourages gaming and sets up on-location events.  There are a few 'real' Table Top RPG game stores in the region of Seattle.  The other major nearby cities that will have some are Tacoma (my goto store called the Matrix is there), Bellevue, Redmond (Mircosoft country), and Everett (Geek Chic country and has an AFK Tavern), and maybe Issaquah.  I know those alternate cities have a few decent stores (one, maybe two, each).  While I don't have the time to try and demo/run stuff I can at least swing by them as I have time and leave promotional material once something is ready.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's a small chance I might be able to get a list of some of the better game stores around the US.  I'm not saying more than that right now though. ;)
- Cory Magel

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 09:38:19 AM »
There is a couple of good stores here in the Portland, OR and southern, WA area that also might be interested in posters.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »
Uncles Games has stores in Bellevue (wa), Redmond (wa) - they display a lot of poster swag from competitors - I would happily ask them to put something up, but Cory's point is solid. I'd think most retailers wouldn't give advertisers space unless it would help them move product. 

I would happily purchase a poster and display it proudly in my own gaming den.  :)
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."