Author Topic: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software  (Read 118636 times)

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »
Rolemaster Combat Minion

For those wanting a simple & fast way to manage combat encounters, "Minion" is a free web app to help GMs process and track combat encounters and stats/health/wounds. It streamlines the entire combat process, including initiative, combat calculations, attack and critical tables. It can be used on any desktop PC or tablet with a normal web browser.

Features include:
  - your own database of PCs, NPCs and monsters (create/edit/clone)
  - initiative sequence fully automated
  - attack results calculated by the software with full table lookups
  - all wounds applied, tracked and saved by the software
  - encounter log showing the entire sequence of combat actions
  - save & restore your database of PCs/NPCs/monsters
  - create and install custom attack and critical tables
  - compatible with all current versions of rolemaster
  - Free web app includes 6 combat tables:
    Broadsword, Short Bow, Shock Bolt attack tables, and Slash, Puncture, Electricity crit tables

Demo videos:
  1. Combat and Initiative - www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M7WjRS9MDM
  2. Character Maintenance - www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQlg8_7LJI0

Minimum device specifications:
  - HTML5 capable web browser
  - Minimum 1024x768 px screen resolution

Software Limitations / TODO:
It is recommended that you thoroughly evaluate the free web app before purchasing the full table data. Current limitations of the software (as of the date of this post) are:
  - any fumble result must be entered by the GM rather than the software looking up the result
  - and large creature critical must be entered by the GM rather than the software looking up the result
Software development is ongoing, to improve the functionality of the web app.

Development history:
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=13646

Discussion, Bug Reports & Feature Requests:
Please use this forum for further discussion, bug reports, feature requests, and anything else related to Minion.

How to use Rolemaster Combat Minion

Start by using the free web app here:
      www.web.com.au/rolemaster/minion

Then purchase the Full ICE Table data here*:
      http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php? keywords=rolemaster%20combat%20minion   (available 4-Feb-2014)

* The author of the web app receives no commission or royalties from the purchase of ICE table data.

Offline mpgriggs

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster Combat Minion - RM combat tracking software
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »
I've been looking forward to this release, and purchased the tables this evening. Could you explain how the program will function when I access it from different computers? For example, suppose I set everything up on my desktop and use it for a game at home. Then, suppose I go to a friend's house for a game and use his computer to access the Minion website. Will I still have access to the tables and such?

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 04:19:05 PM »
I've been looking forward to this release, and purchased the tables this evening. Could you explain how the program will function when I access it from different computers? For example, suppose I set everything up on my desktop and use it for a game at home. Then, suppose I go to a friend's house for a game and use his computer to access the Minion website. Will I still have access to the tables and such?

There are two aspects to this question, a) how to transfer your own database of PCs/NPCs/Monsters onto your friend's computer, and b) the purchased ICE full table data.

For a), simply use the Backup/Restore function from the Options menu. Backup your database of characters onto a USB drive (or email it to your friend) and when you get to your friend's house, use the Restore function from his Minion to import your character data file into his version of Minion. And remember, each PC/device has its own unique database of characters. You can use the Backup/Restore function to transfer character databases between different PCs/devices.

For b), your friend will need to purchase a Minion license to be able to use the full ICE table data on his own computer/devices. It's meant to work similarly to an iPad/iPhone app, for example, which is non-transferable between devices. Also please note we log user details and IP number each time a licence key is used to install the ICE full table data.

Ideally, I highly recommend using a portable device. I use a laptop to run our campaign - completely portable and more user friendly at any games table. Tablets are also good of course, but I like the full keyboard of a laptop.

Offline mpgriggs

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:30:39 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply. On another note, can you explain further how I can use the app offline?

8. Can I use this Web App offline?   During the playtesting period, you will need to be online when you load the App or refresh your browser. Once playtesting is over, the App will only need to be downloaded once. From then on, it will load from the internet if you are online, or from cache (wep app manifest) if you are offline.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 11:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the question, and the reminder of what I put in the FAQ.

I'll enable the appcache manifest on the weekend, which will allow the app to be used entirely offline. I'll post here when complete. In the meantime note that you only need internet access on initial page/app load. Thereafter if you don't close your browser, it will work without internet. Cheers.

Offline Broedet

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
When clicking the attacker and defender as shown in the getting started they do not transfer to the "attacker / defender" field.
So... nothing happens when clicking the "Attack" button.
Is it a browser issue perhaps (I use explorer 9)?

Hope you can help...

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »
I expect it's due to your old browser. You will need IE v10 or v11. I strongly recommend using Firefox instead because its javascript engine is much faster and the speed increase will be noticeable when using Minion with a lot of characters in your DB. Chrome would be a good second choice.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 08:12:09 AM »
Merkir,
 That is a good tip to have on the FAQ: What Browser does CM work best in or was developed on.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Broedet

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 09:19:02 AM »
I expect it's due to your old browser. You will need IE v10 or v11. I strongly recommend using Firefox instead because its javascript engine is much faster and the speed increase will be noticeable when using Minion with a lot of characters in your DB. Chrome would be a good second choice.
Upgrading to IE v11 did not work... Downloaded Chrome and it came to life at once.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 06:49:43 PM »
Issue confirmed, Broedet. I'm seeing various localstorage issues across the various IE versions - only on IE. Another great reason to use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc. I'll investigate the IE issue and resolve asap.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »
Minion Update - Browser Compatibility

Minion has been tested to ensure all major functionality is working on the following web browsers:

Firefox v26.0 and v27.0 (PC - Windows 7)
   Chrome v32.0 (PC - Windows 7)
   Opera v19.0 (PC - Windows 7)
   Safari v5.1.7 (PC - Windows 7)
   Safari on iPad (iOS v7.0.4)

However Internet Explorer (IE) versions 9-11 have now been found to be incompatible since the recent introduction of the Minion encryption modules in late Jan 2014. I have investigated at some length and it's one of those things that should work on IE, but for some inexplicable reason, doesn't. One solution may be to use browser detection to test if IE is being used and use an alternative encryption scheme. This is highly undesirable from the standpoint of time involved, when I know others are waiting for the RMSS/FRP data file to be released.

At this stage, please do not use Internet Explorer until further notice. All of the compatible browsers listed above are better browsers anyway, for a number of reasons I won't go into here. There is a commonly used phrase in the software/web development community, and while not professional, it is certainly apt... IE sucks.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 04:52:30 AM »
I love the demos.

As much I hate to say it, since I would have been interested in acquiring it.... it NOT being compatible with I.E. even the evaluation copy, is a MAJOR turn-off. Sorry, it (I.E.) seems to work with all my other stuff, and to change just for one thing is an step too far.

Any reason why this can't be developed as a stand alone program rather than requiring a web-browser?

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 07:47:39 AM »
There will be a fix to allow Minion to run on IE. It's just a matter of when.

Further to your post, if you'd be willing to download and install a stand-alone program for Minion, why would you not want to download and install a better web browser to use Minion? It's exactly the same effort required. The added bonus is you get a good web browser without the security (and other) issues of IE.

And no, Minion will not become a standalone program. Currently it operates on any platform - iOS, Android, Windows, Mac. To do likewise as a stand-alone program would require writing it in at least three different languages - C#, Java and Visual Studio.

Offline shorn

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
Merkir,

Don't let your developer unlike of IE drag you into a pi**** contest with someone. What browser is best is subjective and many of the issues such as security with IE are gone with the latest version. Remember, your view as a developer trying to work around browser issues does not matter to any other user who is not a developer. As a part time developer myself i feel your pain. In the end though, from a user perspective, the problem is not with their web browser, its with your program. 

Grinne Baeritt:

At the moment there is an issue with IE. I am sure that Merkir looking into it and should have it resolved in a future up date. Until then i would recommend you download chrome or firefox and use it for the minion. I understand you like IE and I'm not saying move all your web browsing activity to another browser, simply use another browser for the minion till Merkir can figure out the IE problem.

Also remember he is doing this project without pay, in his free time, and has only shared it with us out of an act of community and love for the game.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
Heh, IE is the last web browser I use.  The ONLY reason I still use it currently is because one of my processes for work requires it (freaks out on anything other than IE).

Out of curiosity, what's it matter that is uses a browser?  It can still be used when not online.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 04:45:19 AM »
Merkir,

Don't let your developer unlike of IE drag you into a pi**** contest with someone.

Also remember he is doing this project without pay, in his free time, and has only shared it with us out of an act of community and love for the game.

It wasn't intended to cause him to do so...and I'm sorry if that appeared to be the intention. :(

and I am also very aware of the effort involved to bring this sort of thing to a state where it can work, both well and satisfy the needs of the majority of people. My thanks for doing so.

However, it is frustrating when ANY product doesn't work "straight out the box"... and the user has to adjust for it to do so. Am I being Lazy? Perhaps... if so, it's my problem. I'm glad to hear that a fix is in the pipeline.

Oh, and no, I wasn't aware that it could be used off-line. I'm a bit of a techno-phobe and ignorant of such matters.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 06:36:51 AM »
Minion Update - New Version Release & Browser Compatibility

Minion v1.1.1 has just been released, with IE-specific code added to fix the Internet Explorer problem. This version has been tested to ensure all major functionality is working on the following web browsers:

Firefox v26.0 and v27.0 (PC - Windows 7)
   Chrome v32.0 (PC - Windows 7)
   Opera v19.0 (PC - Windows 7)
   Safari v5.1.7 (PC - Windows 7)
   Safari on iPad (iOS v7.0.4)
   Internet Explorer v10.0 and v11.0 (PC - Windows 7)

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 09:38:57 PM »
It's meant to work similarly to an iPad/iPhone app, for example, which is non-transferable between devices. Also please note we log user details and IP number each time a licence key is used to install the ICE full table data.

what happens if my IP address changes.
my ISP provides a dynamic IP address which resets everytime my modem reconnects to thier servers be it either from line drop outs or if i simply powercycle the modem.

I also happen to use multiple browsers (Chrome and Firefox) for various different reasons.
what happens if I install on chrome, then next month (after a few dynamic IP address changes) I decide to install it with the same lisence key on Firefox?

or for that matter I decide to unistall it and a few months later decide to reinstall it?
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Shottglazz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Our Rolemaster Group
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 10:43:02 PM »

I also happen to use multiple browsers (Chrome and Firefox) for various different reasons.
what happens if I install on chrome, then next month (after a few dynamic IP address changes) I decide to install it with the same lisence key on Firefox?

or for that matter I decide to unistall it and a few months later decide to reinstall it?

This part interests me as well. I am unlikely to uninstall it once I pay for the tables, but what happens if I buy a new laptop?
Shottglazz

Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free - you can't take the sky from me.

Offline Merkir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Long lost GM
    • Information Technology
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
Minion Update - Licenses

I have had many questions (mostly PMs) regarding licensing. Accordingly, I have updated the FAQs for the next release of the web app (to be released soon). In the meantime I have pasted the content below. Since it's so important, I made it FAQ #2, straight after the FAQ on where to purchase.

2. If I purchase a full table data License, can I use it on all my PCs/devices?
Yes. For example if you own a PC, a laptop and an iPad, you may use the same License on all of them. If you purchase a new device later, you may also use the same License. However you are strictly prohibited from giving your License information to another person, and we log all Licensed data downloads (User, IP, Device type, License Info) to ensure that License keys are being used for personal use only.

IMPORTANT: Please note each browser on each device will have its own unique DB of Minion characters. Normally you will only want to use Minion on one device - where your campaign characters are stored.