Author Topic: AutoHarp 1.0  (Read 35133 times)

Offline Kulthean

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
AutoHarp 1.0
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
Just wanted to point out that at least on my installation of the software, clicking the Help button when on the Create New Character screen does nothing. 

The program looks nice but I did want to bring that up in case it was supposed to work.

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: AutoHarp 1.0
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Sometimes things get unnoticed. This is one of them. I also completely missed that the shortcuts on the File menu have three instances of Ctrl-L. So both of these issues are to be addressed. As for the Help button, I will be removing it as I have nothing to really put there. I am currently writing a PDF manual for AutoHARP and am currently recording video demos for the software as well.

I also want to mention to everyone who will eventually come to this thread for information on AutoHARP now that an official release went out with the Director's Briefing,

AutoHARP is officially available on RPGNow. I wanted to give people here a few helpful links.

Purchase the full Harp Fantasy Database: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/115091/AutoHARP-Fantasy
Purchase the full Harp Sci-Fi Database: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/115095/AutoHARP-SF
Download AutoHARP: https://sourceforge.net/projects/autoharpsuite/
Submit bugs, enhancement requests: https://sourceforge.net/p/autoharpsuite/tickets/?source=navbar
News: http://autoharpsuite.blogspot.com/

You can use this forum to ask questions or you can post them to the discussion board on the SourceForge website.

Right now AutoHARP works for Windows XP and Windows 7. I have not tested the application under Windows 2003, Vista or 8. I would be interested from anyone who runs either of these Operating systems to let me know if the application works under them. AutoHARP is soon to be released under Ubuntu and should work for versions from 10.04 and up. I currently have someone helping me out on that end. Installation on Ubuntu will require the Java Runtime Environment to be installed on your machine so you can run a JAR file. I am uncertain about any other Linux distros and have been warned that AutoHARP may not work under them without a proper debian package.

Another thing to note. Although I have mentioned this software is open source and freeware (it's the databases you are purchasing that are under commercial license) I don't have a recent upload of the source code. I am having difficulty getting an SVN to run here where I am living. They have a very particular proxy server set up and TortoiseSVN doesn't like it very much or the proxy server doesn't like TortoiseSVN. Either way, until I can figure out the issue, the code available is a very dated, very old build.

Again, thanks for purchasing the Full databases and for using AutoHARP.  8)

David (aka Monk)

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »
Just downloaded it. I'm running Win8.

I haven't bought the packs yet, mainly testing it out now with the provided 1 alternative. When adding adolescent skills it becomes slightly confusing, and then I did something - added adolescent ranks, pressed enter, suddenly profession ranks got the ranks and when I tried to correct this it crashed. I will try to reproduce and provide feedback.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
Right, I failed at that, which might be a good thing :)

One thing I have noticed now though is that the software, on my laptop, is slightly slow when finishing initial character creation (before levels are added and such) and entering autoharp again. Take a while. Same when adding a level. It might be my laptop, it might by win8, or it might be something else. Anyway, it seems to work as it should. Now I just need those packs :)
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
Thanks! Looks like I can maybe add Windows 8 to the supported list then. What are the specs of your laptop? I'll see if I can reproduce your earlier issue.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:35:01 AM »
Asus K55vm
CPU: Intel Core i5 (3. gen) 3210M / 2.5 GHz
RAM: 8Gb
HDD: 180Gb SSD.

It has been acting up lately, so it might not have anything to do with AutoHarp at all, but some shittiness inherent in anything microsoft. :)

It has been crashing a few times since, but mainly when I try, inadvertently, to do something I'm not supposed to do, like add adolescent ranks on a skill where its only listed profession ranks... this causes it to stop working though, and crash.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »
Hmm.. are you able to do this on purpose now? Could you describe what you do? And that laptop setup should provide a fast experience. I have an SDD on my laptop as well as 8GB but I have an i7, just one step up.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 01:37:31 AM »
I've taken a screen shot with the error message, here.
It seems to happen most often when adding adolescent and professional ranks before adding the first level - if I got how that works right. This time around I had added most of the adolescent ranks, but when starting on the profession ranks it seemed some adolescent were missing and when I started to add profession ranks, this happened.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 01:45:20 AM »
This last time, just now, I was using the arrow keys to put in ranks. When increasing that was ok, but when putting in professional ranks (not sure if that matters but I was done with adolescent), I wanted to remove some ranks, and when pressing the down arrow key, I got that same error message as linked to above.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »
So, here is an actual working link, I hope.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 07:59:14 AM »
Another error message here when trying to close a character without saving it.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »
I don't understand why, but the software is really slow when sorting skills after type.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 08:19:40 AM »
The software seems to interact very heavily with my touchpad software.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:22:13 AM »
What is weird is that I can't seem to reproduce this in XP or in 7. But I am able to reproduce your second error. The first error is something I was getting early on if you clicked on the whitespace of the list. Maybe Windows 8 is a bit more sensitive to it. I'll see if I can tighten up that section anymore.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 08:40:08 AM »
Clicking white space might be relevant. I was just now trying to adjust the cost of a skill - the human skill flexibility ability - which I thought I had done, but no such luck, Trying to do it again produced no error message, only "stopped working"-message from windows. I was clicking quite  few times due to slow response and impatience on my part.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 08:50:44 AM »
Another issue I just found when printing: stat bonuses doesn't seem to be applied to skills automatically either. Not sure if that is a known issue on other OS' or is win8 only.

Sorry for this big mess.

EDIT: Correction, it is applied to some skills. Just not all. What seems like unaffected categories include: Athletics, Combat, Concentration, Physical (except jumping).

The other categories are either completely or partially affected by no stat bonuses applied to skills with or without ranks. The resistance skills also have no racial bonus.

To make sure this is actually a problem, I will reinstall the software and the SF package and retry.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 09:10:26 AM »
Nope. Still seems to ignore certain stat/skills.

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:28 AM »
You have touched upon something. The full database I don't
Another issue I just found when printing: stat bonuses doesn't seem to be applied to skills automatically either. Not sure if that is a known issue on other OS' or is win8 only.

Sorry for this big mess.

EDIT: Correction, it is applied to some skills. Just not all. What seems like unaffected categories include: Athletics, Combat, Concentration, Physical (except jumping).

The other categories are either completely or partially affected by no stat bonuses applied to skills with or without ranks. The resistance skills also have no racial bonus.

To make sure this is actually a problem, I will reinstall the software and the SF package and retry.

THANK YOU for noticing that. I discovered this issue in Harp Fantasy and made the necessary changes but I didn't port those changes over to Harp Sci-Fi. The issue stems from the Stat Name. If you right click the skill with no stat bonus you will notice one of the Stats it is referring to is Intuition. Well the stat name is Insight not Intuition. Therefore an update to the database files is necessary. All database updates should be free to those who have purchased the database. This update should not effect the main application. I'll let people know when the update is available.

Again thank you for noticing that and early on as well.  8)

Per your slowness issues. Those could also be a cause to certain issues you are experiencing with the application crashing during the adolescence rank process. I would be very interested to hear if anyone else running Windows 8 is experiencing the same issues of slowness and instability with the New Character process. Again, I can reproduce the character closing bug so I will address that shortly. 

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »
The Entertainer profession in HARP SF: it lists Artistic Prodigy as two separate talents, which is incorrect; the Entertainer has the Artistic Prodigy talent, not the Artistic talent, and there is no Prodigy talent.

The quest continues, pre-mades ftw. :)

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
My box of stuff

Offline Glenn_Gould

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
I'm missing the Agile Defense/Swashbuckler Talent from Harp Fantasy.

Also when creating a Ranger, The Rangers Spell List isn't available when distributing the mystical arts profession ranks, which it should from my understanding.