Author Topic: Large or Tough Monsters  (Read 3172 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Large or Tough Monsters
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
This is a general RM thread, so some of us may be using different versions of the rules. For us, (RMSS/RMFRP) Monks only go up to a lvl 30 Strength IV: x4 hits and x4 St stat bonus.

While on the subject of Monks and Large/hard to hit creatures, would a spell....magical effect.... that increases a Monk's Martial Arts attacks count as magic/enchanted for the Monk to strike a construct/golem?
This question could cover a wide range of topics, but I was wondering about the current games everyone plays.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 12:26:40 PM »
It wouldn't in my world. He'd need spells which specifies that they make the attack magical. Just as a spell which gives you a +5 bonus to your attack wouldn't make that attack magical.
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »
This is a general RM thread, so some of us may be using different versions of the rules. For us, (RMSS/RMFRP) Monks only go up to a lvl 30 Strength IV: x4 hits and x4 St stat bonus.

While on the subject of Monks and Large/hard to hit creatures, would a spell....magical effect.... that increases a Monk's Martial Arts attacks count as magic/enchanted for the Monk to strike a construct/golem?
This question could cover a wide range of topics, but I was wondering about the current games everyone plays.

No that doesn't make the attack magical... however a high level Monk is likely to have a Magical Sword or Staff for his/her Weapon Kata.

When Monks engage Large or Super Large Creatures I make them use the appropriate weapon chart.  Hence if a Monk is using a katana with strikes and he has to fight a troll, he is now using simply the Katana attack chart with whatever penalty is appropriate in your campaign.  We generally do -25 from the Monk's Martial Art's Strike skill.

It creates a situation where Monks and Warrior Monks reign supreme in humanoid on humanoid combat but are at a disadvantage to fighters when it comes to taking on large and super large creatures.

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 09:28:39 PM »
"A High End Monk can be permanently hasted, x10 melee dmg, and completely heal at the end of every melee round even from death... really nasty."

How? Are you using some companions or something for post 50th level adventuring? My spell law only has a Strength IV spell so he can only do x4 damage. And how is he healing everything at the end of every round?

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 02:28:21 AM »
Companion I and Companion VI have the high end spells.