Author Topic: Spell Mastery: Durations  (Read 3610 times)

Offline ForumFerret

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell Mastery: Durations
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »
Is there a modifier listed anywhere to Spell Mastery a list to make spells Hour / lvl or Constant? I'm thinking in particular of Armsmaster Armor and Fortification lists.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Spell Mastery: Durations
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 11:38:28 AM »
No, and personally, I wouldn't allow it. But an alchemist could simply embed a costant version of the spell into an item
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:36:44 PM »
Welcome to the Official Ice Forums, ForumFerret!

Hour / lvl or Constant
Most of the Fortress Law spells are 5-10 min/lvl... If you want a Constant spell that you cast... I think Spell Enhancement
50. Permanent is the way to go. So forget the Constant spell that you can cast. Like Arioch said, a magic item would be better; though not affordable.

If you took the standard Spell Master x5 Duration = -50.
Then you'd have 25 min/lvl or 50 min/lvl.
But that -50 is pretty bad.
You could always have x6 Duration for a -60. But I'm not sure why you want this.

Can you Meditate, speak Magical Languages or use Magic Rituals?

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline ForumFerret

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:11:09 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome :-)

I think I can Meditate to offset larger penalties.

With the single spell per round rule, it seems like an Armsman ( or any self buffer ) will need to spend 3 - 4 rounds bringing all their enhancements on line. That ignores wanting to cast things like Anticipations spells to keep yourself from getting splatted. How do you cope? Did I miss a ruling that Haste allows for two spells per round since you have 200% action?

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:30:27 PM »
With the single spell per round rule, it seems like an Armsman ( or any self buffer ) will need to spend 3 - 4 rounds bringing all their enhancements on line. That ignores wanting to cast things like Anticipations spells to keep yourself from getting splatted. How do you cope? Did I miss a ruling that Haste allows for two spells per round since you have 200% action?

The RAW-Rules as written, allow only one spell per round.
How long are you're combats, man?
Cast those spells before you need them. As an alternative... Parry! :)
Many of the spells on those Lists are Instants (10%Act). Can't you Parry and cast instants in the same round?
Your GM is tough. ;)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline ForumFerret

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:22:27 AM »
Well, that's the thing - we haven't quite gotten to our first session yet. :)

I'm just trying to get a handle on what to expect and make sure my understanding of how things are supposed to work is correct.

I've got a Mentalist who's probably going to learn Armsmaster Armor Law list; As I see it, in a surprised situation he's going to end up doing something like the following:

Round 1:

Snap phase: Autocast Shield
Normal phase: move to cover
Deliberate Action: fire crossbow at primary target (if I have enough action left)

Round 2:

Snap or Normal: Cast Blur, draw weapon or begin preparing Sleep

Round 3: Cast Sleep, begin preparing Greaves

Round 4: Cast Greaves, close into melee range, deliberate melee Attack

Round 5+: Snap Cast Anticipate ranged/melee, Melee opponent, later, rinse, repeat

I'm coming from D&D 3.5, so 5 rounds to get into the swing of things seems long.  I'd expect combats to be over by then.

I'll have spells from Armor Mastery, Mind Attack, Mind Mastery, Mind Speech, and one other list at start.  This issue gets exacerbated when I also want to case Greaves and Helm, and Enchanted Armor...

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:55 AM »
Sounds like you'd be better off actually being an Armsmaster...or Warrior Mage, rather than a mentalist, if attempting that sort of stuff.. :)
(Though with the right talents...possible..)

Welcome to the parallel world of Rolemaster!

Offline ForumFerret

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:33:15 AM »
I can see how you'd get that impression, Grinnen. I'm only dipping into Armor Mastery from Armsmaster and investing heavily in physical combat for the first few levels so I can survive long enough to achieve REAL ULTIMATE POWER(tm) later, when my mentalism skills are enough to stand on their own.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 12:36:01 PM »
I can see how you'd get that impression, Grinnen. I'm only dipping into Armor Mastery from Armsmaster and investing heavily in physical combat for the first few levels so I can survive long enough to achieve REAL ULTIMATE POWER(tm) later, when my mentalism skills are enough to stand on their own.

IMHO you are doing it the opposite way most go about it. But I have also played a pure spell user that wanted to be a melee fighter. He knew enough to stay away from the big combats but was OK enough to parry and be ready to cast spells to support the others.

IMHO RM PC's are going to be weaker than what you are used to at specific levels, about 1/2 as powerful.

IMHO I would not enter melee combat unless you have to and would wear leather armor or someother type that does not interfear with your spell casting too much.

It also sounds like you are trying to play a 1/2 mentalist 1/2 armsmaster which can be tough especially at lower levels. Again I would recommend trying to stay away from combat and using your spells to aid the more combat oriented PC's. But that is just MHO.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ForumFerret

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »
I was thinking AT13 plus the Shield/Blur/Greaves/Helm spells would do me quite nicely in phyiscal combat, paired up with the Anticipations spell list to keep me from getting hit at first and second levels.

By 3rd, I think I'll have enough DP in various lists to be able to start hanging back and doing more crowd control with Spell Mastered Pain and 10' radius Shock Bolts.

There aren't any Lightning Bolt / Fireball equivalent spells in the Mentalist lists, are there? I suppose Spell Mastered Major Pain could work for a Fireball equivalent.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 10:43:52 PM »
If you're a Mentalist, just wear armor.
Mentalist Mind Attack (aka Mind Flayer) Spell List is an idea.
Also, don't get into combat, if you can help it. You're a Mentalist; mentalize someone else to do it.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 09:00:36 AM »
Additional a follow up;

You're trying to figure out how to play BEFORE you sit down to game?
That's awesome!  :'(
The GM will appreciate it.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »
Spell mastery question concerning the use of Spell mastery cast spells at an additional target: Would you allow a person using spell mastery to achieve this effect to target the same person twice? If yes: Would you penalise such attacks, Would you roll one or two BAR's etc?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 02:49:31 PM »
Spell mastery question concerning the use of Spell mastery cast spells at an additional target: Would you allow a person using spell mastery to achieve this effect to target the same person twice? If yes: Would you penalise such attacks, Would you roll one or two BAR's etc?
As I answered in the RM2/C/X section no.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
As I asked in the other thread :): What is the reasoning behind this? And though the issue of the questions are similar they are by no means the same (the questions that is :D)
When answering no: do you mean that you would never use these optional rules to begin with?
or is it more a question of balance than of reasoning? 

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
Because it is one spell with multiple targets. Unless spell specifically state otherwise, you cannot double up on a target (and even in those cases, you don't force multiple RRs, you create a RR penalty).
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 08:27:36 PM »
Because it is one spell with multiple targets. Unless spell specifically state otherwise, you cannot double up on a target (and even in those cases, you don't force multiple RRs, you create a RR penalty)

Good answer. I do allow SM to give "additional target(s)" but that would be the same target.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
A sleep V against a level one target with all picks against the target would result in a -20 to RR (using repel undead spells as a guideline).  So if you wish to double tap the target with the same attacking spell, appropriate results could be:

1) an additional -5 to rr.
2) spell attacks target twice (one bar, two rr's)

What is the two target spell is a firebolt?  A +20 OB for surprise or back seems appropriate.  Maybe x2 hits?  Perhaps even an extra crit one severity less than primary attack?

I think the +20 to OB for firebolt and option #1 have the best balance.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »
Dual elemental attacks might work if you stick with the logic of "two bolts, one target", but at best I'd use the rules with Directed spell applying to the first shot, and the second at +0 OB. . .in which case you'd be better off using your SM in some other manner, as anyone you can really pwn with a +0 bolt is likely even more dead with a x2 damage bolt.

Might make for a way to shotgun at a target with way high DB, hoping for an open ended result.

I rarely allow SM to duplicate other, higher level spells, so I Might draw the line at triad of flame . . . .
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 01:16:55 PM »
Because it is one spell with multiple targets. Unless spell specifically state otherwise, you cannot double up on a target (and even in those cases, you don't force multiple RRs, you create a RR penalty).

I am not sure you understand exactly what it is I am asking for Rdanhenry. You can with the table for spell mastery in RMSS double up on targets no matter what the spell says. Or rather you can add one target pr -30 penalty you take on your skill roll.
I reckon Yammahoppers take with one BAR and two RR's make most sense.

Considering Yammahopers example with the sleep V spell you could cast this at two people and argue that since you spell mastered it for an additional target they should both suffer the -20 RR (assuming they are both level 1)

Deliberating on the firebolt example: Would you then make it +40 x3d and two additional crits -1 sev for +2 targets and +60 x4d for and three additional crits -1 sev for +3 additional targets? There seems to be a good reasoning to this and it's pretty straight forward to figure out but not all that balanced.