Author Topic: Shadow World: Emer III is now available!  (Read 8134 times)

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Shadow World: Emer III is now available!
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 01:20:23 AM »
(tapping fingers together and in Mr. Burns' voice)

Excellent...

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 05:55:10 AM »
Hardcopy books early next week! And meanwhile, the discount for the PDF seems to still be on, so grab it before that goes away!
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »
Emer III now available in hardcopy books, either perfect bound or hardcover. And for those of you who held off getting the PDF, there is a discount for getting the PDF/hardcopy combo!

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/125297/Shadow-World-Emer-III
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »
Terry,

Cool news! Any idea why the dead-tree prices are "odd" - 28.13 and 33.15? Discounted?

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
Terry,

Cool news! Any idea why the dead-tree prices are "odd" - 28.13 and 33.15? Discounted?

Regards,
Old Man

No idea why the dead-tree prices are odd; seems like they have always been an unusual amount (maybe a price conversion from some other currency? The discount for purchasing a PDF/print combo is a new 'experiment' according to this month's Director's Briefing.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
Just a further note, remember that the hardcopy books also have full-color interiors!

And about that free GM handouts PDF, with PC maps, handouts, and slected layouts separated for easy printing, I think we can add that on to a free PDF upload on RPG Now. But I'd like to see some more reviews at the site. Say, 10 more reviews (or at least ratings) and I'll get to work!  8)
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2014, 09:31:29 PM »
Just ordered my 2 copies: 1 softback and 1 hardback, my usual order.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »
Another great review of Emer III! Have you gotten yours yet?

"Everyone who is familiar with Terry Amthor's work knows that his books are high standard. Emer III is no exception. It's all there: a rich history, detailled descriptions of cultures, cool locations, maps, layouts, adventures etc. But what really sets Terry Amthor's books apart is the fact that they are so much fun to read. They don't read like a dry sourcebook at all. The texts are so full of details, history and background, you just can't put it away until you've read it all through.
All in all, the setting of Emer III is quite exotic and even a bit unusual for RPG adventures. This is not your usual run of the mill fantasy sourcebook. The exciting jungles and rainforests described here made me want to stop my currently running campaign and start an explorer-type campaign right away."
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
Another great review of Emer III! Have you gotten yours yet?
Nope, but they are in the mail.

"Everyone who is familiar with Terry Amthor's work knows that his books are high standard. Emer III is no exception. It's all there: a rich history, detailled descriptions of cultures, cool locations, maps, layouts, adventures etc. But what really sets Terry Amthor's books apart is the fact that they are so much fun to read. They don't read like a dry sourcebook at all. The texts are so full of details, history and background, you just can't put it away until you've read it all through.
All in all, the setting of Emer III is quite exotic and even a bit unusual for RPG adventures. This is not your usual run of the mill fantasy sourcebook. The exciting jungles and rainforests described here made me want to stop my currently running campaign and start an explorer-type campaign right away."
Me too, I would so rather be playing RM in SW right now...
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2014, 04:31:49 PM »
Quick question for you all: I bought the .pdf when it first came out. Now I'd like to buy the hardcover edition. I see there is a discount for the .pdf and hardcover edition when you buy them together. But is there any option for upgrading a .pdf to a hardcover + .pdf? Or do I have to now buy these separately?

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
Having ordered several softcover books (great quality!), I feel tempted by the hardcovers as well. Could you please post a picture of the hardcover version? I really wonder how it turns out.
Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev
=========================================================
MX Homepage http://www.bladestorm.mx
facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BladestormTabletop

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2014, 10:55:58 PM »
I have one of each and I can tell you the only difference is the fact that one has a soft cover and one has a hard cover, otherwise they look the same.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2014, 11:33:50 PM »
I have one of each and I can tell you the only difference is the fact that one has a soft cover and one has a hard cover, otherwise they look the same.

Have you gotten your Emer III print editions already? How do you like them?
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »
Quick question for you all: I bought the .pdf when it first came out. Now I'd like to buy the hardcover edition. I see there is a discount for the .pdf and hardcover edition when you buy them together. But is there any option for upgrading a .pdf to a hardcover + .pdf? Or do I have to now buy these separately?

Well, I am thinking that you got the PDF for the discount price of $16, correct? So now the PDF is the regular list price of $18. The 'discount' now is essentially getting the PDF still at the lower price along with the physical copy.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2014, 04:59:44 AM »
Having ordered several softcover books (great quality!), I feel tempted by the hardcovers as well. Could you please post a picture of the hardcover version? I really wonder how it turns out.

I don't have this in hardback, but I do have one POD hardback from RPGNow. Attached are some pics (when approved).
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
Got my softcover version last week from England. The distribution setup works out nice. Had it been shipped from the US I'd still be waiting.

Material:
The quality is in line with Cloudlords of Tanara and Xa-ar. In short: Solid! The paper has a good feel to it. The colors come out crisp and the spine makes a quality impression. I opted for softcover because these fit right in with my other ICE products from way back when. And although the PoDs are brand new, they pick up the thread where the old ones stopped. Overall I was impressed with the volume of this new tome. Given it's size, it still is a pleasure to read.

Structure:
For me, this is the biggest plus aside from the captivating content. First of all, I really like the logical structure given to material released for Rolemaster and Shadow World. All the books I ever held in hand were very well executed and included an introduction, a clarification of abbreviations, the game material itself, followed by tables and a search index. This is paramount for internal product contingency and makes it possible to put aside a book and come back to it - maybe even years later - and still be able to quickly find what you're looking for. Being able to sift through 30 years of gaming material while using the same indexing mechanism is probably unique to gaming industry products and reveals a distinct level of professionalism. 

Layout:
Then there is the matter of type setting and formatting. The reason why I tend to buy and collect older publications is that they are for the most part "black text ond white paper" in a recognizable letter size. One evil that came with electronic publications was the idea to cram more words onto a single page because anybody with a computer could simply magnify the page on his monitor until it appeared readable. What works out with 140% magnification does not work out when trying to read the printed product. The often seen habbit of putting full scale full color illustrations underneath the text made things only worse. The production run in tiny print saved the publisher about six to ten pages while giving the product a miserable usability. Reading tiny print on full color pages is a real pain. So, based on these observations, when looking at Emer III, I am happy to see a book where everything was done just right:
- Well selected type setting
- Good formatting
- Readable, black on white two column layout to make for an enjoyable reading experience

All in all: Great work !!
Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev
MX Homepage http://www.bladestorm.mx
facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BladestormTabletop

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2014, 08:13:02 AM »
Got my softcover version last week from England. The distribution setup works out nice. Had it been shipped from the US I'd still be waiting.

Material:
The quality is in line with Cloudlords of Tanara and Xa-ar. In short: Solid! The paper has a good feel to it. The colors come out crisp and the spine makes a quality impression. I opted for softcover because these fit right in with my other ICE products from way back when. And although the PoDs are brand new, they pick up the thread where the old ones stopped. Overall I was impressed with the volume of this new tome. Given it's size, it still is a pleasure to read.

Structure:
For me, this is the biggest plus aside from the captivating content. First of all, I really like the logical structure given to material released for Rolemaster and Shadow World. All the books I ever held in hand were very well executed and included an introduction, a clarification of abbreviations, the game material itself, followed by tables and a search index. This is paramount for internal product contingency and makes it possible to put aside a book and come back to it - maybe even years later - and still be able to quickly find what you're looking for. Being able to sift through 30 years of gaming material while using the same indexing mechanism is probably unique to gaming industry products and reveals a distinct level of professionalism. 

Layout:
Then there is the matter of type setting and formatting. The reason why I tend to buy and collect older publications is that they are for the most part "black text ond white paper" in a recognizable letter size. One evil that came with electronic publications was the idea to cram more words onto a single page because anybody with a computer could simply magnify the page on his monitor until it appeared readable. What works out with 140% magnification does not work out when trying to read the printed product. The often seen habbit of putting full scale full color illustrations underneath the text made things only worse. The production run in tiny print saved the publisher about six to ten pages while giving the product a miserable usability. Reading tiny print on full color pages is a real pain. So, based on these observations, when looking at Emer III, I am happy to see a book where everything was done just right:
- Well selected type setting
- Good formatting
- Readable, black on white two column layout to make for an enjoyable reading experience

All in all: Great work !!

Thanks for the comments! Please feel free to add this to the RPGNow reviews; I am sure other prospective buyers would like to hear your opinion.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
Have you gotten your Emer III print editions already? How do you like them?
Yes. A lot.

If I remember right, it says to expect to wait 2-4 weeks for them to arrive, but they got to me in just under 1 week. I was totally surprised, and by the sound of it, you are too. They are very pretty (no shocker there) and both in full-color, which is exactly how I like them.

Now, I haven't done any extensive reading so I don't know about any misspelled words or errors in punctuation (not that I would necessarily notice those anyway), but I just take all of that in stride as we are all human, so no big deal. One thing I did notice is that on the maps in the back, the distance chart/line (whatever that is called) is impossible to read; the line shows up, but the type of the numbers is too small and is overwhelmed by the color around. the one in front looks great and works fine, so that one can be used to determine distance if/when needed. (And, yes, Misty Vale does have a wall, though it is only 4-5 feet high, so not really a defensive wall as such - but the Jinteri stones probably do a great job of keeping things away with their weirdness.)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »

Well, I am thinking that you got the PDF for the discount price of $16, correct? So now the PDF is the regular list price of $18. The 'discount' now is essentially getting the PDF still at the lower price along with the physical copy.

This is correct.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2014, 03:35:02 AM »
Who's gotten their Emer III hardcopy (perfect-bound or casebook/hardbound) and what do you think? Please add your review at RPGNow! Please feel free to be honest and offer (constructive) criticisms if you see fit. This not only helps other prospective buyers, but also provides valuable feedback to us for future books.

Thanks!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.