Author Topic: Flowstorms  (Read 2010 times)

Offline darksilver

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Flowstorms
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:24 AM »
Just wondering what other people's take is on the question of flowstorms.

According the Master Atlas (all editions I believe although I only own 2nd and 4th), there is a 5% chance of some sort of essaence activity on any given day (96-100 roll), so even odds of an occurence every 20 days. Given this (which in itself I heartily approve of), things start to go a bit crazy when you study the flowstorm effect table.

The description of a large flow-squall (76-90) states it lasts about an hour with a 30% chance of being hit by an essaence bolt each minute (a serious flowstorm (96-97) gives only a 2% chance but lasts for 2-8 hours and must be rolled every round)!  My question is, aside from creatures taking Large crits, how is anything reasonably expected to survive. Even contact with the amount of microbursts generated by a large flow-squall or minor flowstorm would probably kill most creatures.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Flowstorms
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:52:12 AM »
I think flow-storms are supposed to be, at their worst, massively dangerous to be out in unless you're really, really powerful. Not that you should necessarily strictly apply the rules to players unlucky enough to be in a big one; maybe just hurt them enough to force them to seek shelter or turn back. If they don't get the message, get violent.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:36:16 AM »
I think flow-storms are supposed to be, at their worst, massively dangerous to be out in unless you're really, really powerful. Not that you should necessarily strictly apply the rules to players unlucky enough to be in a big one; maybe just hurt them enough to force them to seek shelter or turn back. If they don't get the message, get violent.

Well, any kind of shelter would reduce your chance of being struck; probably should have included that. This assumes you are out in the open, as if caught by a tornado. Also, as in Shadowstone, any kind of magical protection will greatly increase your chances of avoiding the worst of the storm. However, theya re extremely dangerous, and not all that common.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:52:46 AM »
Also, as in Shadowstone, any kind of magical protection will greatly increase your chances of avoiding the worst of the storm.
Funny thing: I was thinking the opposite would be better.

Due to their magical nature, it could be a cool/fun/exciting element if they were actually drawn to magical energies. So, mages trying to use magical protections would actually draw the Flow Storm, depending of course, on how powerful the spell(s) being used and storm. This way, it is the job of the mundane folk to arrange some sort of protection or find shelter. (Not that a mage cannot do that in a mundane way, just saying: no magic.)
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:41:57 AM »
Also, as in Shadowstone, any kind of magical protection will greatly increase your chances of avoiding the worst of the storm.
Funny thing: I was thinking the opposite would be better.

Due to their magical nature, it could be a cool/fun/exciting element if they were actually drawn to magical energies. So, mages trying to use magical protections would actually draw the Flow Storm, depending of course, on how powerful the spell(s) being used and storm. This way, it is the job of the mundane folk to arrange some sort of protection or find shelter. (Not that a mage cannot do that in a mundane way, just saying: no magic.)

You might want to look at some of the old Bladestorm stuff then. IIRC, the Bladestorm (which were similar to Flow Storms) were attracted/triggered by magical use.

Perhaps you could adapt something along those lines for your own game...

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »
Heh.  Try running the numbers for surviving as an Arcane spell user using RAW.  I think you get an average of something like 2000 spells off before catastrophic death.  Not that many, really.