Author Topic: How do you kill a dragon?  (Read 19781 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: How do you kill a dragon?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »
The master's technique in Dragonslayer actually worked. . . .

(click to show/hide)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Fornitus

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Frequently Deceased
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
O.K. (sigh....)

assuming the dragon isnt defective OR stupid......
LM is probably right. anything else is not enough. especially if the dragon is bright enough to understand tatics.  ;D

So, feed it an explosive. In RM? most trap spells arent powerfull enough.  However,.....

One party did it with a 6 month ritual trapped just before compleation by a ramped up spell off Ritual Mastery. I dont remember the item, but they had to quest for it. (Hand of a dead god tied shut with bands of iron from the pit of hell ? ritual stored within ? dont remember.)
The ritual was a nether ritual designed to have a flaw in it. It took like 40 casters to keep the spell going and 5 of them were the 'prime' people. I think it figgured out to like 200,000 power points.

I allowed the casters to disengage themselfs from the effect of the failed ritual by increasing the research level of the ritual.

Once finished, they surgicaly implanted it inside a cow. Then just placed the cow and waited. They may have sheilded the magic with one of the alloys out of Alchemy comp.

Need it be said no one "lives" ANYWHERE even close to the devistated area.
(and yes they went up a level for compleating the task as well as those earned while setting it up) ;D

CUTHLU FOR PRESIDENT!!
WHY CHOSE A LESSER EVIL?

or did we?

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 11:28:42 PM »
Sacrifice the paladin, use the 10th level spell off Arms Ways?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2010, 01:27:33 AM »
Plus, it seems to me that too many people are thinking that just because Smaug had a missing scale / weak spot every dragon in the game has such. I don't think so. That was a Tolkein-thing, not a dragon-thing, I believe.

Well, it certainly is a RM thing, as we may read the following in Creatures and monsters:

Only sensitive areas on their heads (e.g., the eyes) and their strange “birth spots,” places where scales mysteriously fail to develop (some fall off), afford an attacker any hope of dealing them a death blow. Dragon-slaying arms seek these places.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline kevinmccollum

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 04:53:19 AM »
Dragon-slaying arms seek these places.

yes, but a perception roll shouldn't result in a slaying attack.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 06:18:53 AM »
Talking about the RM definition, the C&T says that dragons are "immune to the elements (fire, ice, light, air and water) and highly resistant to spells, they are rarely bothered by incantations" while the EC clarifies that they're "completely immune to its elemental force (i.e. the element that its blood is composed of) and very resistant to other "non-opposing" elemental forces. They're also highly resistant to spells; they are rarely bothered by incantations."
How do you manage this, since the rules don't say how to handle what the text says?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 12:18:09 PM »
Og course if it is the right type of dragon (they are basically elemental in nature after all) then a nuke may actually make it feel better, heal it etc.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »
What is the elemental nature of a nuclear explosion, though? Heat, fire, wind, air, light, plasma?
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Nders

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Ancient GM
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 03:10:34 PM »
No but birth spots are mentioned in the Great dragon section of the various C&T and Creatures and monsters books.
The thing is, I believe, that it is the targeting of these very spots that dragon slaying weapons are able to do. Though I do not remember if that last part is in the books or just something I read into it :D

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »
Well, it certainly is a RM thing, as we may read the following in Creatures and monsters:

Only sensitive areas on their heads (e.g., the eyes) and their strange “birth spots,” places where scales mysteriously fail to develop (some fall off), afford an attacker any hope of dealing them a death blow. Dragon-slaying arms seek these places.

Aaahhh, so it is mentioned in the books. Well, RM's birth is tied to the Game That Shall Not Be Named.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 12:37:20 AM »
Aaahhh, so it is mentioned in the books. Well, RM's birth is tied to the Game That Shall Not Be Named.

:laugh2:
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2010, 07:17:02 AM »
In any game we have ever played that isn't a wargame, that includes nukes as possible weapons... nukes always win.
No rolls necessary.

Reminds me of a Fringeworthy game I played back in '87 or so...
We were exploring a ruined world, devoid of life (or so we thought), and was allowed to bring a small nuke with us... a tactical nuke... maybe 200-300 kilotons...
Anyway, my PC was in control of the nuke (bad GM mistake #1!).

As it turns out, the world isn't devoid of life... the Mellor were there... in the millions!
As we are running for our very lives back towards the gate, I decide I am going to detonate the nuke immediately after the last PC makes it through... we cannot let any Mellor get through or our world will be plundered to lifelessness too. Some of the other players say "Noooo!", but I see no other way... and besides... I wanna play with the nuke!

So, I detonate the nuke after we all pass through the gate, vaporising a lot of Mellor!
However, that isn't the end...
We played another 1/2 hour RPing my PC and his in-game boss arguing about the nuke detonation.
If we weren't suppose to use it, why did we get it?

Yeah, I remember it like it was yesterday... it was a cool game... and the GM was an exchange student from Finland.
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »
"Nuke them all; the gods will know their own."

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2010, 06:34:26 PM »
The Starship Troopers rules contain nukes, but they are not auto-kills. Just an FYI...
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
The Starship Troopers rules contain nukes, but they are not auto-kills. Just an FYI...

The old boxed game? With all the counters?
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2010, 01:16:45 AM »
If a world has nukes, the dragons will have the biggest stockpiles. (And quite possibly, they will sleep on them.)
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2010, 07:09:51 AM »
Yeah, but it is closer to a wargame than an RPG. (I have it)

If we are talking about the old boxed set ....
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2010, 01:37:59 PM »
No - the one I am referring to is from Mongoose and is a d20 based upon Heinlein's book
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2010, 03:51:04 PM »
No - the one I am referring to is from Mongoose and is a d20 based upon Heinlein's book
Oh...
The Starship Troopers "wargame" was late 70's or early 80's...and also includes chemical warfare as well as nukes...
And based on Heinlein's book.

The Mongoose game was more than likely based on the movie...
www.strategypage.com

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
Correct, the original wargame was based upon the book (as the movie wasn't even out yet, I guess that should be obvious  ;D) and the Mongoose game is based upon the movie - no cool big power armored characters, at least not at first.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.